How to Transfer Skyrim Meshes/Textures to Oblivion?

pringerxx

Can some one tell me or direct me to somewhere how to take meshed and textures from skyrim and put them into oblivion?

I basically like the mesh/texture of the wolf from skyrim and would like to replace it into oblivion. If it works out well I will be doing it with other creatures as well.

Also if possible can someone upload the mesh of the wolf from skyrim or direct me somewhere where I can download? I don't have the game.

Thank you for you help.

DRM (Digital Rights Management) ... the meshes you would like to port were made by Bethesda for Skyrim ... did you get explicit written permission from them to use those meshes in Oblivion?

- Edit - Sorry Septfox ... sometimes my keyboarding skills don't suck I guess (mostly when I'm to the point).

Edited by Striker879

What my uncommunicative colleague is trying to say is, if one doesn't own a copy of a game resource, then one shouldn't obtain it illegally and use it.

Further, converting Bethesda materials between games (any games, theirs or otherwise) and distributing them is generally prohibited whether you own the game or not, due to the various usage agreements Bethesda might or might not have with the original creators. You can import them and use them yourself - provided you've bought them of course - but say...converting nifty meshes from Skyrim for Oblivion players to enjoy is illegal.

As for the actual converting of meshes, the process is probably somewhat similar to transferring stuff between FO3/NV and Oblivion; get Blender with nifscripts or 3ds max with the nif plugin, import the mesh with the proper settings, export with Oblivion settings, fine-tune settings via Nifskope. I don't know any specifics, try looking up guides for porting hair and clothing between the two; that should give you some basic import/export settings at least.

Edit: aw, beaten to the punch :v

Edited by Septfox

DRM (Digital Rights Management) ... the meshes you would like to port were made by Bethesda for Skyrim ... did you get explicit written permission from them to use those meshes in Oblivion?

- Edit - Sorry Septfox ... sometimes my keyboarding skills don't suck I guess (mostly when I'm to the point).

This is just for myself. Why are you guys talking about illegal stuff. Since when was it illegal to take a mesh and put into a game? I was just basically looking for a tutorial to know how to take a mesh and put it into the game. Like for instance if I were replacing the wolf texture or mesh would I just create the same folders and name it the same as that of the one in the game? For example: meshes\creature\dog\wolfbody.nif Would it automatically override the old mesh with the new? Or are there steps involved in making it work.

Also if possible can someone upload the mesh of the wolf from skyrim or direct me somewhere where I can download? I don't have the game.

Here's where you cross the line into illegal activity. If you owned Skyrim and decided to use one of it's meshes/textures in your owned copy of Oblivion, and never shared that resource with anyone else on the planet you would never get into trouble (now note that I'm not saying that doing so would be strictly legal to the letter of the law ... just that Bethesda's lawyers wouldn't ever pursue you over it).

If I owned a copy of Skyrim (whichI don't) and gave you a copy of one of it's resources those lawyers wouldn't come after you so much as me. You're only asking for a crime to be committed ... I would be committing one.

- Edit - @ Septfox ... I'm crushed ... I'll type slower, I promise :whistling:

Edited by Striker879

I basically like the mesh/texture of the wolf from skyrim and would like to replace it into oblivion. If it works out well I will be doing it with other creatures as well.

I mistook this as your intending to make a mod out of it and upload it to the Nexus. Sorry. *shrugs*

And no, it's not a simple drop-in. The nif structure between Oblivion and FO3 is vastly different, the structure between FO3 and NV takes it a step further, and finally the difference between NV and Skyrim is another distinct step. Taking each of those into account, you can perhaps imagine how large the difference between Oblivion nifs and Skyrim nifs is. You're talking about 5 years worth of changes.

TL;DR: No. Your game would probably crash as soon as the game tried to load a wolf you were approaching.

What you described IS the basic method of replacing things in any post-Daggerfall TES game, though. Assuming Archive Invalidation is set up properly and all your file dates are all proper-like, anything in the Data folder will override whatever is in the base BSAs, assuming the path and filename is correct.

Iwillneverforgiveyou :armscrossed:

I mistook this as your intending to make a mod out of it and upload it to the Nexus. Sorry. *shrugs*

And no, it's not a simple drop-in. The nif structure between Oblivion and FO3 is vastly different, the structure between FO3 and NV takes it a step further, and finally the difference between NV and Skyrim is another distinct step. Taking each of those into account, you can perhaps imagine how large the difference between Oblivion nifs and Skyrim nifs is. You're talking about 5 years worth of changes.

TL;DR: No. Your game would probably crash as soon as the game tried to load a wolf you were approaching.

What you described IS the basic method of replacing things in any post-Daggerfall TES game, though. Assuming Archive Invalidation is set up properly and all your file dates are all proper-like, anything in the Data folder will override whatever is in the base BSAs, assuming the path and filename is correct.

Iwillneverforgiveyou :armscrossed:

Cool thanks you answered my question. I know how to change a mesh in order to make it work in the game I was just unsure one how set it up. Most of the meshes that I edit were already made into esp files.

Yes I don't have the game skyrim but I was planning on buying it if I could successfully put the wolf mesh in the oblivion game. The reason why is that my computer wont be able to play skyrim because of it amazing graphics and I had just purchased oblivion and a new graphics card literally the day before skyrim can out. So I wanted to put some of the new meshes to make my game look better, that is all.

Thanks for you help.