the Kharjo thread

duracele

This is a thread about my favourite henchman in the game Skyrim.

I created it to collect memorable stories, interesting facts, maybe screenies of your kharjo.

to enlighten about npc mechanics. to tell your playstyle with kharjo.

in short: a nerd topic

you meet him travelling with a Khajit caravan as a bodyguard.

There is a quest you have to complete in order to get him join up.

During most of the game Kharjo was always an extremely reliable henchman. I can`t remember he ever attacked me because of friendly fire.

He is acceptably sneaky even with his dwarven outfit. Usually enemies spot him attack him and i can still remain in shadows.

He is a killer in one handed sword and shield combat. I saw him taking down a dragon almost by himself.

Though he don`t seem to like axes very much which make him look extremely dangerous :)

he keeps "loosing" his stun and life suck enchanted 88 dmg dwarven axe and it`s a pain in the ass when you notice this only on exiting the dungeon.

His other dwarven gear is enchanted with heavy armor, one handed combat and magic resistance.

he is doing fabulously in combat, taking in tons of damage. can`t remember him dying one time

and save for the worst badass heart of thorns mellee enemies he`s taking down everyone given some time.

i myself play another khajit, skilled mage only. currently level 61 and all mage skills save restoration on 100.

i ran into mjoll and i somehow like her. and as much as i love my fellow khajit companion i want to drop him for some time to check out mjoll.

my question is: does kharjo always return to his caravan or can i make him home in one of my houses?

and another one on this matter how is it determined where companions and dogs go after they leave.

can i influence this without using the console?

Edited by duracele

Khajro will return to the caravan when you dismiss him and you can't send him to your house.

It is a pain finding him again when he's traveling with the merchants.

You can determine where companions go if you are married with them. Though sadly, there are no marriable Khajiit and I think that the console command to make NPC's marriable doesn't work on Khajiit and Bosmer NPC's.

But, the Creation Kit will be released this month and I'm sure that someone will make a better companions mod or you can edit Khajro yourself with the CK, it's not that hard.

Khajro is my favorite too :biggrin:

Kharjo is first of all corteous. you never hear a sarcastic tone with him. i highly prefer this to some other npcs, speaking with a bandit voice i.e.

worst one i thought was that bully from rifton, from whom i always awaited a sword in the back.

one day i decided to play a bit with kharjo. so i started practicing my one hand skills on him in the halls of jorrvaskr.

kharjo was not too pleased with this and decided to leave me to my madness. i ran after him and kept hurting him with my sword.

then he suddenly turned. i just see a finnishing cutscene. him dragging me by the shoulder and sticking all of his sword through me.

bam one hit kill. i will cross swords with him no more.

I love Kharjo so much, he's so fun to be around, most interesting dialogue from a follower with a voice and accent that don't make you want to bang your head against the wall. Also he's talented with sneakyness which is perfect for my current character.

I do have some questions about him though: for some reason his level is very low in my game (he easily gets dropped by even normal bandits despite the ebony armor set I gave him). How can I increase his level artificially? Is there a console command to do this? ( I know it's cheating but I pretty much just want him for the pleasure of his company, not for his fighting skills and I don't want him to die all the time)

I also heard he's a good archer so I gave him an ebony bow ( I actually tried quite a few variants of this, including smith improved ebony bows and normal ones found/bought) but when he uses a bow he still seems to use his default hunting bow. Why is that? Also is there any way to make him not rush to melee things when he's detected?

Would giving him sneak-enchanted gear help with his sneaking? (when I first used him I was about 60 Sneak and now I'm almost 100 so I'd imagine he'll lag a lot in terms of this should I want to use him again).

I love Kharjo so much, he's so fun to be around, most interesting dialogue from a follower with a voice and accent that don't make you want to bang your head against the wall. Also he's talented with sneakyness which is perfect for my current character.

I do have some questions about him though: for some reason his level is very low in my game (he easily gets dropped by even normal bandits despite the ebony armor set I gave him). How can I increase his level artificially? Is there a console command to do this? ( I know it's cheating but I pretty much just want him for the pleasure of his company, not for his fighting skills and I don't want him to die all the time)

I also heard he's a good archer so I gave him an ebony bow ( I actually tried quite a few variants of this, including smith improved ebony bows and normal ones found/bought) but when he uses a bow he still seems to use his default hunting bow. Why is that? Also is there any way to make him not rush to melee things when he's detected?

Would giving him sneak-enchanted gear help with his sneaking? (when I first used him I was about 60 Sneak and now I'm almost 100 so I'd imagine he'll lag a lot in terms of this should I want to use him again).

supossedly it`s important at what time you picked up the henchman. i dragged mine all the way through from level 15 or so.

the default henchman equipment is a pain anyway. he always drags a full set of steel armor with him that you can`t see in inv.

if you got problems with your henchman dying too much i think last thing i would enchant was sneak skill.

sooner or later you can`t avoid the fight. so rather pimp him with health, heavy armor, one/two handed i`d say.

Basically my battle style is protect kharjo. he gets spotted and i care for the guys he can`t take down. but if he gets killed by simple bandits

it seems likely he hasn`t levelled. i try not to let him use bow as i feel he is inefficient with that. if he takes it out he is using the dwarven bow i gave him

not his default one i thnk. take care you don`t give him weapons you found. he will prefer a crappy ebony blade to any monster enchanted lower item like dwarven gear as i use.

additionally as i said he seems to prefer swords to axes or maces. and i let him use a shield as he is skilled in blocking. as a weapon i am using the blades blade dragon slayer.

good suggestion with the blades. sadly i am not on good terms with their genocidal course.

Edited by duracele

The followers retain the level they had when you first entered cell containing them. In order to level him adequately, take off his apparel (if you don't want to lose it), release him, target him in console and type 'disable' 'enable', then reenlist.

Using the default lame bow is a common bug. To work around it, you should remove it via console. (Their default equipment may respawn, however.)

P.s. Kharjo is indeed the best warrior, possessing excellent tanking capabilities together with sneaking and archery mastery.

Edited by TimF

Stenvar will always be my favorite tank, but Kharjo is pretty awesome, and definitely worth taking the time to find. Not only does he seem to be able to avoid friendly fire (which is probably only coincidence), but he also has a lot to say. For me, followers who comment on the world around them add greatly to immersion. Easily one of the best followers in the game.