Where's the CK?

Trhanec2

As others have said, the lack of communication from Beth is annoying. If, back in 1 December, they could say there would be a January release, they should now, seven weeks later, have a pretty good idea of whether they are still on track. Remember, there are now only eleven business days left of January. If they are on schedule, what would it cost them to state that fact? Not a thing--which seems a reasonable price to pay to make the fans happy. On the other hand, if they aren't on track for releasing the CS in January, people are gonna get really miffed if the last of the month comes and goes, and we get nothing. I for one would be more forgiving if having been given fair warning. A simple yay or nay would go a long way. Or even a maybe.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how many of you have worked in production environments, but I will say this in their defense: As a producer myself, I know how annoying it can be to constantly give status updates on a project. I'm sure that the CK isn't the only thing they're working on, either. They've got bugs to quash (my bet is in both the CK and in Skyrim), DLC stuff to do, and more.

It's hard to give good estimates from a production/engineering standpoint, as there will almost always be unforseen problems. You can try to estimate for them, but you never know what's going to happen. Not to mention the fact that I'm sure there's plenty of business-end stuff that has to be dealt with (such as the steam integration for mod distribution).

In short.. Be patient. It'll be out when it's out. Just play the damned game a few more times, or get a different hobby to occupy yourself :)

I don't think they will release it anytime soon this year......and according to valve they are going to charge us for mods....like in oblivion.....

you know the really badly bugged mods (*cough* DLCs).....which we threw money at then just sat there seething....waiting for the patches...which only bugged them up even more....sorry for the rant....but the C.K is a lie....

Sorry but you're wrong. You're simply too cynical to accept that there will be some choice in how we get our mods.

As it actually says on the page for the Steam intergration, you can still download mods from other sites.

What you really think they're going to shut down websites such as gamefront? Moddb? The nexus?

Sorry but no.

And be patient, its only the 17th of January, get a hobby or something.

Edited by huntsman2310

This is /got/ to be the trollliest thread on here.

Beth said it'll be out in January, so if it comes out January 31st, that would still mean they were being truthful.

11:59 PM January 31st

But that is Eastern Time...Here in Arizona, with Mountain Standard Time, it would only be 9:59. We get a whole 2 hours and 1 minute to work with it in January!

Damn you time zones.

Sorry but you're wrong. You're simply too cynical to accept that there will be some choice in how we get our mods.

As it actually says on the page for the Steam intergration, you can still download mods from other sites.

What you really think they're going to shut down websites such as gamefront? Moddb? The nexus?

Sorry but no.

And be patient, its only the 17th of January, get a hobby or something.

i think you misunderstood me there...or rather i misrepresented myself...what i meant to say is....yes i believe they will charge us for mods...or they might try to control it somehow.....

and they might even release the C.K in January...what i fear is that it might be even more buggier....and we all know what patch 1.2 did....and we know Bethesda's track record with creating hype....

just do not want a repeat of the same thing....a buggy C.K could be a whole new world of trouble for Bethesda and us....

Complain about Steam and the forum warriors of the Valve Defense Force inevitably arrive to do battle. I see Bethesda has its own version.

I'm surprised it's not out yet. They're probably wasting time trying to get it to play nice with Steam. I only bought the game two weeks ago and haven't finished my first playthrough yet, but I've already made quite a list of things I intend to change once the CK is out.

I think the only things that are holding it up are the updates to Steam workshop, the wiki, and a few other things related to Steam.

I can't see them doing an unsynchronized release, so as soon as everything is done, I bet it will be up for grabs.

If it were up to me, though, I would just have them chuck the wiki out the window and give us the kit. Heck, if it were REALLY up to me, it wouldn't use Steam at all, and it would just prompt the user for the path to the Skyrim data folder. No registry or anything.

I have faith in Bethesda to not make a foolish choice in putting a price on mods, or an even more foolish and probably disastrous course of action; not releasing the kit at all. Bethesda is a good company, and they know that some of us are as old as the hills (or at least Daggerfall or Morrowind) and have ridden beside them this long. It's not outlandish to expect a Creation Kit - it's par course for Bethesda at this point. It is one of the main reasons Elder Scrolls games still exist, and even Morrowind still has a large and stable modding community.

That said, I'm anxious to get the Kit myself, but I'd be willing to wait until February, March, April to get it. I'd rather them iron out the bugs to the utmost extent they can, because I have a suspicion it would be harder to bug-fix the game with a bugged Kit. Though, I'm not partial to Steam Workshop integration myself. Steam is bad enough as it is for me, being a dial-up user (do not dare confront me on this, I tire of arguing with the Valve Defense Force) that I'd like as little to do with it as possible.

I also wouldn't go so far as to say Skyrim would die without the Kit - but I'll gladly say that only a few hyenas would pick that elephant's carcass.