Nuka-World Gangs

Lehcar

Well doing it right, you can actually send them to only settlements you need to clear out: Outpost Zimona, Starlight Drive-In, Murkwater Construction, Kingsport Lighthouse, Sunshine Tidings Co-Op, Croup Manor, Coastal Cottage, Hangman's Alley, Red Rocket Truck Stop and Taffington Boathouse are all settlements that need to be cleared out or are available for the getgo, so there are plenty of possible places to send the raiders to without attacking a single settler, and you only need 3 unless you want that loot chest.

The only downside is you still need one vassal settlement, but that too can easily be remedied by having one human settler stick around and a platoon of robots to watch over it from Automatron. Use Tier 3 Intimidate on that settler to drag and move them to another settlement afterward and you'll be a good guy without a single slave.

You can actually pay the settlers to join up which I always do. The way I justify Nuka-World is using tough means to create a more stable government then what the Minutemen try to do by merely protecting them which in all leaves the settlements weakened as they have no defenses or their own army because the Minutemen take care of everything.

That's probably why when the Minutemen broke apart the entire commonwealth went to crap.

Honestly the one group I went out of my way to kill was the Disciples. Dixie herself was a big reason to wipe them out: her trophies pretty much make her an unredeemable character. With the other groups you get the sense they're not pure evil, and can be focused towards actually helping the Commonwealth a little even though it means they do a little damage themselves. The Disciples though are just killers, and ones a bit too eager to kill anyone or anything that goes against them.

I've honestly never understood the 'kill them all' route. Once you get the Castle set up and Preston's perk him flipping out over you helping them is moot: he still gives quests, and the radio still does its thing. Sure you free the traders but in a realistic sense now they're pretty screwed: they're in the middle of a large, open area with only a fistful of people and everything ranging from bloodworms to nukalurks to deathclaws partying outside. Those things are going to eventually make their way in, if another visiting raider band doesn't first.

Oh, they're all evil. They're not all as upfront about it as the Disciples. You may have to dig around to find the evidence.

The charming and well dressed Operators, well, read Lizzie's terminal and such. They actually abduct people to experiment with poisons on, to try to perfect mind control chemicals, and dispose of them afterwards.

The Pack, well, ever noticed those big piles of dead slaves in the animal cages in the back? Yeah. I don't think they just picked already existing corpses from the wasteland, put a slave collar on them, and fed them to their pet bear. Is all I'm saying.

And their "protecting" the slaves... yeah. Only from tossing them outside unarmed and unarmoured, and then using them as target practice themselves.

Mind you, I'm not saying you SHOULD go Open Season on their rear. If you want to be the big bad raider overboss, fine. I enjoy a bit o' playing the evil son of a bee myself. But let's not pretend that it's anything else than the evil option.

Honestly the one group I went out of my way to kill was the Disciples. Dixie herself was a big reason to wipe them out: her trophies pretty much make her an unredeemable character. With the other groups you get the sense they're not pure evil, and can be focused towards actually helping the Commonwealth a little even though it means they do a little damage themselves. The Disciples though are just killers, and ones a bit too eager to kill anyone or anything that goes against them.

I've honestly never understood the 'kill them all' route. Once you get the Castle set up and Preston's perk him flipping out over you helping them is moot: he still gives quests, and the radio still does its thing. Sure you free the traders but in a realistic sense now they're pretty screwed: they're in the middle of a large, open area with only a fistful of people and everything ranging from bloodworms to nukalurks to deathclaws partying outside. Those things are going to eventually make their way in, if another visiting raider band doesn't first.

Oh, they're all evil. They're not all as upfront about it as the Disciples. You may have to dig around to find the evidence.

The charming and well dressed Operators, well, read Lizzie's terminal and such. They actually abduct people to experiment with poisons on, to try to perfect mind control chemicals, and dispose of them afterwards.

The Pack, well, ever noticed those big piles of dead slaves in the animal cages in the back? Yeah. I don't think they just picked already existing corpses from the wasteland, put a slave collar on them, and fed them to their pet bear. Is all I'm saying.

And their "protecting" the slaves... yeah. Only from tossing them outside unarmed and unarmoured, and then using them as target practice themselves.

Mind you, I'm not saying you SHOULD go Open Season on their rear. If you want to be the big bad raider overboss, fine. I enjoy a bit o' playing the evil son of a bee myself. But let's not pretend that it's anything else than the evil option.

Some people in the Pack are also cannibals.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to the C4 mod and the chinese stealth suit mod together there is no longer any reason to spare any of the gangs when you can plant C4 on each and every one of them and blow them all up with one button. Just don't blow up anyone near the slaves, someone has to clean the park after you are done exploding raiders.

• 2 months later...

I am with the "Kill them all and let god sort them out" crowd. I do not like being manipulated or used; and that is what Gage does. So in my play-through, they all enrich The Wasteland as they rot.

I concur that this seems the prudent course. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't ally with the Raiders in a play-through - it's just that I don't see the point. The complaint has been made before (perhaps a hundred times) that this was awkwardly forced into the main game. During the main quest it makes no sense because you need the help of 3 otherwise anti-raider factions to mosey along into the Institute. Frankly, I can only see an Institute character possibly justifying such a decision as a continuation of standard Institute policy to the surface (keep it messed up).

More than that though, the Raiders themselves offer nothing over your other available factions. Gage himself basically says as much when he calls the Brotherhood of Steel "basically raiders." This leads to the realization that the Brotherhood of Steel East Coast Chapter is everything a Raider Warband could ever aspire to become over a long period of time: a well-armed, well-respected and well-structured military force that can impose its will upon normal Wastelanders. A Brotherhood of Steel Paladin (or Sentinel) has a far better chance at maintaining a fulfilling life than a Raider Overboss ever could. Compared to that, lording over a group of treacherous, amoral thugs seems like a major downgrade. Plus, at the end of the game the Brotherhood of Steel have an upgraded Liberty Prime. Short of launching a hundred (thousand?) Fatmans at its kneecap I don't think there is anything these guys could do to even dent the damn thing. Elder Maxson could thus crush you and your raider gang very easily in the lore if you decide to play overboss on the side.

The Minutemen may not outgun the Nuka-World Raiders, but a successful Minuteman General can still expect more loyalty from his or her volunteer soldiers and look forward to a better life expectancy than a Raider Overboss.

What I am trying to say is that even if I am an "evil" character, I still don't see the point of being with these Raiders. I can be a ruthless BoS player and still sleep better at night with a giant robot to look out for me. Or I can be a ruthless Institute leader that can try to use the Minutemen to his own purposes.

This sucks, because I really liked the character building that went into the Animal Pack and Operators as well as their leaders. The Raider Bosses should have been new companions alongside Porter Gage, this would have been good with Mags Black who really sold the "sexy evil package" whenever she spoke.

Edited by CyrusAmell