PC disks are crippled

gigantibyte

We allowed them impose a harmless tool that allows them to automatically update their games with ease, as well as giving us AMAZING deals on games, and what amounts to a giant forum all for free.

The "information" they gather is gameplay data while you are playing the game so they can use said data to make future games better, it doesn't harvest all your computers data.

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they all do it now then I guess I won't be purchasing many games in the future, and that would be caused to those who have accepted such conditions and allowed it to become the norm.

This is perhaps the most idiotic reasoning that people have on the Steam debate. And it comes up every time.

If you want to blame anyone, blame pirates. They're the ones who lead to the rise of DRM.

You can't blame people who enjoy something for it becoming more prevalent, simply because you don't enjoy it. It's selfish and downright childish.

If BMW brings out a device that increases your cars lifetime, but also increases fuel consumption, and it sells so well that it starts becoming the standard to be installed with newly bought BMWs, do you also blame the people who liked the device?

It's simply an issue of supply and demand.

Also,

We allowed them impose a harmless tool that allows them to automatically update their games with ease, as well as giving us AMAZING deals on games, and what amounts to a giant forum all for free.

The "information" they gather is gameplay data while you are playing the game so they can use said data to make future games better, it doesn't harvest all your computers data.

This. The pros of Steam far outweigh the cons for me. I guess it's a matter of opinion though.

Edited by Halororor

One needs no automatic update, one is capable of downloading a fix if required.

I see no amazing deal and it wouldn't be worth the price of being manipulated anyway.

Whatever information they gather is not theirs to gather, it would be worse if they harvested PC information but that they do not does not excuse the behaviour.

=====

So you think someone's reasonable opinion is "idiotic reasoning" and feel it is alright to insult them by stating that claim ? Do you troll regularly ?

Pirates are not causing me to do anything, manufacturers' and distributors' reaction to them may be. If they have a problem to solve then any attempt to solve it should not impose on genuine customers.

How can anyone enjoy having to contact a website in order to play a game they have already purchased ? I do not believe anyone relishes the prospect.

How on Earth can anyone compare a design which increases fuel consumption with a totally unnecessary rigmarole before you can use something you already own ? There is no connection.

I've yet to be informed of any pros of Steam since without it one could play immediately and anything further is just additional hassle. Why would anyone want to defend being imposed upon ?

One needs no automatic update, one is capable of downloading a fix if required.

I see no amazing deal and it wouldn't be worth the price of being manipulated anyway.

Whatever information they gather is not theirs to gather, it would be worse if they harvested PC information but that they do not does not excuse the behaviour.

=====

So you think someone's reasonable opinion is "idiotic reasoning" and feel it is alright to insult them by stating that claim ? Do you troll regularly ?

Pirates are not causing me to do anything, manufacturers' and distributors' reaction to them may be. If they have a problem to solve then any attempt to solve it should not impose on genuine customers.

How can anyone enjoy having to contact a website in order to play a game they have already purchased ? I do not believe anyone relishes the prospect.

How on Earth can anyone compare a design which increases fuel consumption with a totally unnecessary rigmarole before you can use something you already own ? There is no connection.

I've yet to be informed of any pros of Steam since without it one could play immediately and anything further is just additional hassle. Why would anyone want to defend being imposed upon ?

Something tells me that at least a couple of recent posters are preparing answers to your last 3 questions as I type. :rolleyes:

The automatic update is not only helpful to consumers but the game devs themselves

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?566740-quot-Requires-a-3rd-party-download-and-account-quot&p=13009805&viewfull=1#post13009805

"Its simple... Its more time spent on fixing bugs, improving ai and adding features. As well as more frequent patches.

This does not even consider the fact that Steam will auto-patch and make sure your version is not corrupted, which reduces support costs even further.

When we cater to multiple versions (and there were 23 different portals we sold games on, last time I checked), this cuts into development time quite a lot.

Now Kerberos is a developer that has about 2-3 times as many developers per project as our internal teams does, so you can imagine how beneficient it would be for our team.

Magicka had patches out everyday for weeks after release. We could NEVER do that on a non-steam title..

Sengoku, having 3 patches within 1.5 months of release, cost enormous amount of time and money for us for things that did not give anything back to us. About 90% of all who bought Sengoku digitally bought it through Steam, while we had to spend about 99% of the time for patch deployment and testing for non-steam customers. "

Edited by sajuukkhar9000

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.

Insert the first disc into your computer.

Close Steam (Steam > Exit).

Press Windows Key + R to open Run

In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.

Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.

Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Sigh. Once again, you have to contact Steam in order to log in to Steam in online mode. You do not need to contact Steam to play the game. By your logic, you wouldn't be able to play your games without an internet connection, even though I do so often by putting my Steam in offline mode.

Steam offline mode is broken for some, yes, but that is another issue entirely. You do not NEED an internet connection to play your Steam games, only to activate and install them.

Let's see;

-Social platform so I can talk to my friends at any time, while in-game.

-I do not have to actively go downloading patches for games from third party websites (for some this is a plus, for others not)

-I do not have to store patches on my harddrive for future use, as the updated game is stored on the Steam servers

-If one of my friends plays a multiplayer game, it is two clicks and I join him, as I can right click his name, select 'Join Game' and it instantly launches the game for me and automatically connects me to the server he is playing on, saving me the hassle of finding out which server he is playing on

-I do not have to worry about disks getting scratched or broken resulting in me having to buy the game again, as I can simply download it directly from the Steam servers.

-Steam has frequent, wonderful sales.

-Steam Cloud, which stores my saves online for in case I lose my local saves or play on another PC

And yes, calling someone idiotic for making an unreasonable statement isn't unreasonable in itself. You can't blame me for Steam being imposed on you, simply because I do not feel the same way about it and don't mind having to use it.

Besides that, have any of you even seen how big Steam has become? They've reported a sales growth of 100% for the seventh year in a row.

Have a look at this.

Valve’s Steamworks service for publishers and developers is also gaining plenty of traction. Steamworks provides secure DRM, cloud saving, statistical feedback and achievement support, and is now used by 400 of Steam’s 1800 games. 14.5 million Steamworks games have been shifted in the past year, 67% more than in 2010.

14.5 million Steamworks games. Meaning only games that use Steamworks, which is only about 22% of the games available on Steam. If there was 14.5 million units moved for only 22% of the total games available on Steam, how many would there have been moved in total?

PC gamer article on Steam's growth

I'm sorry to say for those who don't like Steam, but it's a behemoth and it's here to stay.

Quoting an article intended for users who are having issues installing from the disc as if all users have to use that method to install Steam retail games doesn't exactly prove a point.

You can just do what I do; pop in the disc, wait for the autorun to pop up, click install and hey! Presto!

Edited by Halororor

From your post I assumed you're trying to prove that you have to go through all those steps every time you want to install a retail Steam game from the disc. Considering that the topic is about 'crippled' discs, this would make sense.

If that's not the case, then I don't know what point your post was driving at.

Edited by Halororor