PC disks are crippled

gigantibyte

Look Halororor, I am not against Steam in particular. In other Posts I have stated that Steam has its merits and the potential to be a gamers friend.

My only complaint and thats really the only one, is the forced use of it. Skyrim Vanilla could be started without Steam initially and instead of concentrating on bugfixes, one of the first "Updates" made Steam mandatory. There was really no obvious need for it. Skyrim was making good money, good sales, no Programmer was dying of Hunger.

Its "small" things like this that make me ask why? and if this is really user friendly and if I should sit by and watch it going. Sometimes I do...sometimes I just cant.

If you want to take this personal in any way....go ahead but remember this, I dont know you apart from the brief correspondence here in this Forum. I have no idea what kind of a Person you are, we have no history and no good reason to get personal whatsoever. Just know that I have pointed my Finger on a possible "irregularity" from my point of view. That alone is better than doing absolutely nothing and swallow every pill thrown in our cage.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its "small" things like this that make me ask why?

Oh, that one's easy. Merely to stop day one piracy. Unless a Steam game gets leaked to the public before release, nobody gets it until release day, meaning that pirates can only start working on a crack the day the game releases. Sure, this might be the case with standard DVD games as well, but it takes a lot more effort to crack a Steam game than a game that doesn't use Steam, considering the fact that you have to alter a lot more files for a Steam game to get the crack working. Developers are working on the theoretical assumption that if a pirate can't get the game on day one, he might be forced to go out and buy it. I don't see this trend changing anytime soon.

If you want to take this personal in any way....go ahead but remember this, I dont know you apart from the brief correspondence here in this Forum. I have no idea what kind of a Person you are, we have no history and no good reason to get personal whatsoever. Just know that I have pointed my Finger on a possible "irregularity" from my point of view. That alone is better than doing absolutely nothing and swallow every pill thrown in our cage.

Oh, I'm not taking anything personally, I've been around the internet for long enough to know that sometimes things can come across as rude or personal when the poster didn't intend it that way. :)

I do apologize for being rude earlier on, as that was uncalled for.

What I'm trying to get at, though, is that there are three groups of people in this case;

The people who don't like that they don't get a choice about using Steam

The people who couldn't care either way

And the people who see Steam as a blessing from the gods, like me. :P

The problem is that if the latter two groups are in the majority, Steam and the developers making use of it aren't really going to pay much heed to the concerns of the minority. While I can sympathize with the plight of the people in the first group, there's not really much I'm going to do about it, because I believe digital distribution is the way of the future, the same as digital distribution of music has become the norm.

Remember, even when you buy music from iTunes, iTunes is still in full control of your content. If you buy a console, you're limited by what you can do with it and you're not allowed to load any software you like on it. Content control is all around us, and it can only be blamed on one thing - piracy. Piracy might not be what's fueling content control now, but it's what originally spawned the phenomena.

Already refuted this claim, see above.

No, actually, you didn't. The first post in this thread is based on speculation from a forum member from another forum. There's no proof to prove that his speculation is anything other than that; speculation.

Edited by Halororor

No, actually, you didn't. The first post in this thread is based on speculation from a forum member from another forum. There's no proof to prove that his speculation is anything other than that; speculation.

Ok, let me copy-n-paste it for you:

If you had bothered to read some of the original thead I posted to, you'll see my argument against Steam as a digital lock was posted before the claim that 200 mb was missing. So no, one guy's post didn't form the basis for the argument. It just sounded plausable considering the circumstace.

And I have somthing else to add, but let me recap one of your statements first.

Jesus...

PC DISKS ARE NOT CRIPPLED. THEY CONTAIN ALL THE DATA. THE 200MB WAS A DAY ONE PATCH. ONE PERSON'S MISINFORMED OPINION (with zero evidence to substantiate it) ON THE BETHESDA FORUMS DOES NOT PROVE THAT DATA IS MISSING FROM THE DISK.

If I go to activate my Skyrim disk online, and a 200 mb 0-day patch is forced upon me, I can only assume Bethesda feels that these files are crucial for gameplay. So yes, according to Bethesda 200 mb of required data is missing, and if a disk is missing something, by very definition it is crippled.

I do apologize for being rude earlier on, as that was uncalled for.

I accept your apology. I'd hate to see this thread locked.

If I go to activate my Skyrim disk online, and a 200 mb 0-day patch is forced upon me, I can only assume Bethesda feels that these files are crucial for gameplay. So yes, according to Bethesda 200 mb of required data is missing, and if a disk is missing something,

:|

THERE IS NOTHING MISSING. BETHESDA FELT THE NEED TO REPLACE CERTAIN FILES. WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DON'T OR WON'T UNDERSTAND? THERE IS NOTHING MISSING FROM THE GAME DISC. HAD BETHESDA NOT RELEASED A DAY ONE PATCH, THE GAME DISC WOULD STILL HAVE INSTALLED ALL THE FILES NECESSARY TO RUN THE GAME.

I don't get it, what is so difficult to understand? All I'm seeing is that you're either being really beyond stupid, or that you're so hard-headed that you're going to keep making up the most idiotic arguments just because you don't want to accept that you've lost the argument.

I give up with you. You're just going to keep twisting the truth to suit your argument. Believe whatever you will. I'm out of here. I'm not sure why I even bothered replying when all you've ever done is prove that you make illogical assumptions and conclusions based on illogical premises.

Edited by Halororor

If I go to activate my Skyrim disk online, and a 200 mb 0-day patch is forced upon me, I can only assume Bethesda feels that these files are crucial for gameplay. So yes, according to Bethesda 200 mb of required data is missing, and if a disk is missing something,

:|

THERE IS NOTHING MISSING. BETHESDA FELT THE NEED TO REPLACE CERTAIN FILES. WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DON'T OR WON'T UNDERSTAND? THERE IS NOTHING MISSING FROM THE GAME DISC. HAD BETHESDA NOT RELEASED A DAY ONE PATCH, THE GAME DISC WOULD STILL HAVE INSTALLED ALL THE FILES NECESSARY TO RUN THE GAME.

I don't get it, what is so difficult to understand? All I'm seeing is that you're either being really beyond stupid, or that you're so hard-headed that you're going to keep making up the most idiotic arguments just because you don't want to accept that you've lost the argument.

I give up with you. You're just going to keep twisting the truth to suit your argument. Believe whatever you will. I'm out of here. I'm not sure why I even bothered replying when all you've ever done is prove that you make illogical assumptions and conclusions based on illogical premises.

If the files/update are not required, why is the update forced?

Because that's the way Steam works. It is not technically required that the game be at the latest version to be playable, but due to the way Steam works, it forces you to update to the latest version.

If the game was released without Steam, and Bethesda released a day one patch, you would be able to play the game without patching it.

Seriously. The forced update is a fault with the way Steam works, not an indication that files are missing from the disc.

Steam makes you update for tech support reasons.

This. Kudos to you, good sir.

When you contact tech support, they don't have to first ask you what version you are running, and it greatly narrows down the issues they have to deal with, because there will be different problems on each patch version of the game.

Just to point out that if a game you buy and bring home needs you to interact with the Internet at all then IMO the game can legitimately be described as crippled. To not trust me after I have bought the game, when I should reasonably expect to be able to just install & play; to force me to interact with a company over the Internet so it can gather information on me, is an unacceptable imposition, and a reason not to buy the game. If they all do it now then I guess I won't be purchasing many games in the future, and that would be caused to those who have accepted such conditions and allowed it to become the norm. It is hardly surprising then that it has been a while since I last considered buying a PC game, what on earth have the rest of you allowed them to impose in the meanwhile, and why ?