ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

The Thalmor Ignorance

Stormcrown

Theres a lot more to it than that Wraith.

There is something of a growing conspiracy movement online, supported by some of the theoretical big-wigs who i tend to bow to when it comes to matters of lore (These guys are BIG, i mean CHIM big) who argue the Thalmor are trying to, quite literally, destroy the world.

The specifics of the arguement are multitude, convoluted and in some cases confusing, but it centers around the lost divinity of the Mer. In principal, it seems that the Thalmor beleive that if they destroy Mundus, they will release the power which their ancestors gave up, thus becomming Aedra again. The Crystal Tower is already gone, Red Mountain (The Red Tower) has presumably fallen, they had plenty of time to screw up White Gold Tower. All that really remains is the Adamantium Tower in Highrock, and the Snow Tower (Throat of the World).

omg !! wow really ? very interesting, maybe they'll pop up in future Skyrim dlc and reveal their true purpose then, thanks for the info man. :thumbsup: but still its all just speculation right ? or has bethesda confirm that ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite like the Dwemer, no?

Totally unlike the Dwemer, actually. The Dwemer were less of a philosophical search for godhood and more an empericist bunch who viewed the Gods as more powerful simply because they knew more. As such, if they learned more, they could match the gods. The Numidium was supposed to be the culmination of that knowlege, but apparently Kagrenac forgot to carry the 1.

The Dunmer, on the other hand, while they don't 'like' Talos, love what he stands for. The principal of Dunmer philosophy is the idea of the Psijic Endevour, where mortals trancend the limitations of their existance and become gods. Talos proves its possible. And if Men can do it, surely a Mer, who is decended from the Gods, can do it as well. Three sort of did, the Tribunal, and one of the, Vivec trancended godhood entirely and acheived CHIM. He may have zero-summed since, you know... Not being around and all, but its just a likely he turned into butterfly and is chilling.

****** Edit

And yes, it is all speculation right now. I'll see if i can dig up a link about it. So far, nothing has been either confirmed, nor denyed by Bethesda.

******* Edit 2

Heres a link, which contains another link

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114910-Skyrim-Fans-Uncover-Insectoid-Conspiracy

Edited by Lachdonin

Totally unlike the Dwemer, actually.

Not actually. It really depends how you see it, and frankly: The Thalmor wishes to become Gods -- as did the Dwemer. More depth than that is not needed to see the similarity I pointed out.

Their reason and ways of doing it is not my point, it is the idea. The Dunmer, Most of the High Elves and the Dwemer all searched for it. One got destroyed trying, the Dunmer I really do not know enough about and the High Elves are on a big crusade to get their power back.

I herd bout this. The Khajiiti tower are the moons? Supposedly, the moons disappeard and then the Thalmor restored them by... deactivating their true function? Yeah, the moons are sacred for the Khajiit, but the whole "WE DID IT!" that the Thalmor played so the khajiit would follow them seemed a lil bit... stupid. Specially when the Khajiit arent the most trusting fellows around. It must have some other not so obvious importance.

Still, the Hist doesnt represent a tower? They're still around as far as i know (and stronger than ever with that clan of Argonians in power).

I herd bout this. The Khajiiti tower are the moons? Supposedly, the moons disappeard and then the Thalmor restored them by... deactivating their true function? Yeah, the moons are sacred for the Khajiit, but the whole "WE DID IT!" that the Thalmor played so the khajiit would follow them seemed a lil bit... stupid. Specially when the Khajiit arent the most trusting fellows around. It must have some other not so obvious importance.

Still, the Hist doesnt represent a tower? They're still around as far as i know (and stronger than ever with that clan of Argonians in power).

Yes, it does have flaws in it. I myself tend to think the dissapearance of the Moons was more related to the now unbound Heart of Lorkhan than anything the Thalmor did, and they just took credit for it.

Still, its an interesting consideration when trying to determine the objectives of the Thalmor.

I'm not sure I've ever posted here before, but this thread intrigues me.

There are legends that Talos was not the only divine to have been a mortal once. The book, Ark'ay the God, records the story that Arkay too was once mortal, and raised to godhood by Mara for his wisdom, compassion and devotion to the balance between life and death. According to The Imperial Library (http://www.imperial-library.info/content/nine-divines-arkay) he is the son of Akatosh (as, I believe, were Alduin and Parthuurnax), but did not come into existance until after Lorkhan had created Mundus; so what, I wonder, is the Thalmor stance on Arkay? He (Talos) is also not the only man- (or particularly Nord-) focused god. Stendarr was originally a Nord god, not an elven god, and his focus seems to be humanity.

My personal opinion is that the Thalmor hatred for Talos is part military-political strategy, part historical grudge, part religious extremism. Like most religious nutters, they can't see the hypocrisy of their position. Are they arrogant enough to try to destroy Mundus to regain the divinity they believe they (and all Altmer, maybe all Mer but really I think the Altmer think almost as little of other elves as they do of humans, not quite, but almost) once had? Probably, but whether they would succeed is another question.

It depends on how you define "god". So I agree with everyone here. I also disagree.

The Thalmor are right to not worship him as a god, given the history. So their definition makes sense because it's self consistent while excluding Talos.

On the other, the Nords who want to worship him as a god seem correct to do so, if you're into worship.