The Thalmor Ignorance

Stormcrown

I'm not sure I can accept the ES4 main quest line as evidence. The phrase "blood of a divine" was Martin's translation of a book written by a Deadric prince -- not exactly an indisputable source. The fact that Martin was able to open the portal also doesn't prove his translation was right -- there's no way to know how much of the ritual was necessary and how much was needlessly complicated questing for Dagon's amusement. For example, Mythic Dawn followers could easily reach the same place merely by dying.

I'm surprised no one has made the argument that in SI, you can gain the status of a Daedric Prince. Whether the job brings immortality is left unanswered, and the other powers you get are underwhelming, but it's at least as strong an argument as Martin's translation.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could also be counted that regardless of your "earthly" abilities, its the followers that grant you the ability to be noticed by and ultimately ascend to God status. Maybe the fact that so many worshippers wanted it, the Gods had to accept and admit him into their fold, even as a Lesser Diety.

Ultimately It all comes down to power, and perception of that power.

For the sake of argument, lets say there was a group of people utterly ignorant of magic. Anyone with the ability to throw fireballs or otherwise kill on a whim, turn invisible, heal people from the brink of death or even resurrect them (or their corpses at any rate) could be pretty hard to separate from the aedra or deadra, especially considering how relatively little they actually interact with the world.

At what point does a man ascend to godhood? The moment the majority believes he does. Likewise what would the gods be if no one believed in them, and if they could exercise little to no power in the world? Nothing.

So in the eyes of the thalmor, Talos is not a god. In the eyes of nords, he is most definitely a god.

if Talos wasn't god, then why when oblivion crisis high elves pray to talos for they safety? :rolleyes: Edited by Lastito

The main reason why the thalmor hate Talos is because Talos is Lorkhan reborn

This is open to some debate. THere is no evidence that Talos is a Shezzarine, thought Wulfhearth and Pelinal almost certianly were. Talos definately fulfils the role of Lorkhan in the pantheon of the Aedra, representing the God of Men, but his actions and temperment run counter to all other representations of Lorkhan. That is, Talos worked to bring prosperity to ALL, whereas all other champions of Lorkhan worked only for the benefit of Men. In fact, some, such as Wulfhearth, worked activly to exterminate the Mer.

I would say that Talos is Lorkhan's replacement, but not Lorkhan reborn.