Things not Scrapping in a Custom Settlement

Hey you guys. I'm turning the Museum of Freedom into a settlement, and it's mostly working. Except, now hardly anything scraps. I have all the scrapping mods, but in custom settlements (even ones I download from the Nexus) scrapping mods seem to get turned off. I added a scrap recipe for all those display cases in the MoF, but they still don't scrap. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm going to bump this as well. I wasn't really satisfied with the mods expanding Echo Lake Lumber to include the cool little stalls, mainly because the rest of that settlement is so jam packed full of worthless cruft that doing anything with it was a pain in the ass. I don't have all the scrapping mods, just one that lets me scrap some of the trash greebles. I don't like scrapping the big greebles in the game because I'm paranoid about it not playing nice.

That said, stuff that should be scrappable out in that side area isn't. But not all of it isn't. For example, all of the counters can't be scrapped, but those should be scrappable. And only a few of the cash registers can be scrapped. I did notice that the default open cash registers were the scrappable ones, but the ones that were default locked weren't. There are two forms of the cash register item for some reason, even though there's an option to set a lock on just about any item in the game and that's sorta pointless. My best guess though, is that the locked ones aren't tagged for editing in-game because you can't place them and would never need to place them because you can't manipulate the lock from the in-game editor. I should, though, just be able to replace those outright, losing whatever was inside originally in exchange for having stuff that is editable. It would, however, be much more convenient if I could just make that stuff scrappable.

I haven't had a chance to test replacing that stuff, and it'll be hard for me to rope Homemaker counters into creation kit without wonking all my stuff up since I use Mod Organizer, but try replacing that stuff in the mod editor with stuff from a mod that has a bunch of the greebles. That's the only thing I can think of, is that some settings we can't get to easily are stopping those elements from being altered, because the only difference I saw in the object editor menu for the two registers was that they were technically different objects.

You are experiencing the joys of precombined meshes.

As long as they are active, anything that is part of one will be unscrappable. Deactivating them must be done either with ini edits* or on a cell by cell basis. If you are making a mod that adds a new location as a settlement, you need to either disable precombined meshes and previs** or make new ones that exclude the items you want scrappable. It's usually fine just disabling them so long as a cell isn't in a super-dense area (like the city) or an interior cell. Disabling previs in an interior cell reveals that absolute mess Bethesda left hiding under it.

For a mod that expands a vanilla (or DLC) settlement area, you have to do the same thing.

*Not recommended, both for performance reasons and because of the potential problems (primarily graphical glitches)

**previs is the system that makes it so things behind objects that would block your sight aren't rendered. Disabling precombineds without disabling previs means you'll have occlusion bugs where things disappear based on where you are standing

You are experiencing the joys of precombined meshes.

As long as they are active, anything that is part of one will be unscrappable. Deactivating them must be done either with ini edits* or on a cell by cell basis. If you are making a mod that adds a new location as a settlement, you need to either disable precombined meshes and previs** or make new ones that exclude the items you want scrappable. It's usually fine just disabling them so long as a cell isn't in a super-dense area (like the city) or an interior cell. Disabling previs in an interior cell reveals that absolute mess Bethesda left hiding under it.

For a mod that expands a vanilla (or DLC) settlement area, you have to do the same thing.

*Not recommended, both for performance reasons and because of the potential problems (primarily graphical glitches)

**previs is the system that makes it so things behind objects that would block your sight aren't rendered. Disabling precombineds without disabling previs means you'll have occlusion bugs where things disappear based on where you are standing

Can you point us to somewhere that tells us how to do that editing, because google is a mess of nonsense for finding that stuff and I'm sure it would be useful.

Yeah, previs/precombineds is one of the least understood aspects of Fallout 4. There is so much confusion and misinformation about it out there (not helped by the fact that generating new previs/precombineds in the CK was broken for a while)

For just disabling it, I'd recommend looking at the way Scrap Everything edits worldspace cells. Essentially, just delete the VISI, RIVIS, PCMB, XPRI(if you have any), and XCRI fields. I'm fairly sure you have to use FO4Edit, since I don't think the CK gives you access to those fields. That will disable previs and precombineds for each cell you make those edits for, and keep them disabled even if you (or a mod user) have one of the ini edits active.

In case you are curious, the ini edits are:

bUseCombinedObjects=0 under [General] *

bUsePreculledObjects=0 under [Display] **

Each ini edit will cause performance impacts, particularly in the city. If you use them, I'd recommend putting them in your Fallout4Custom.ini file (can make one if you don't already have it, just make a new text file and change the file type to ini.

*disables precombined objects, allowing you to scrap anything you have a recipe for. Cna cause the occlusion bug mentioned below, and a weird trailing/"hall of mirrors" effect in interior cells if you scrap/delete/disable outer objects (due to letting you catch a glimpse of the "void")

**prevents the occlusion bug caused by scrapping some things you couldn't scrap with precombined objects enabled, which makes objects in the distance diappear when standing at certain places. Actually causes that bug sometimes in interior cells, due to an old system Bethesda used in FO3, FNV, and Skyrim that was left in the game engine because laziness