Anyone play...

freddycashmercury

I bought the game on Monday, and I love it so far. I tried a Chaotic Good Tiefling Sorcerer and a Chaotic Evil Aasimar (Spelling?) Rogue, but I scrapped them in favor of a Neutral Good Half-Elf Ranger. He has worked out much better for me. Of course, I'm still only in the first chapter.

Anyone play, and what kind of character do you use?

You did your first two backwards, the Tiefling should have been the rogue and the Aasimar the spellcaster. But it's rpg so if you made it work that's awesome. I have a few characters, a male human sorcerer, a female Planetouched fighter, and a couple others I can not remember at the moment. I always set my alignment to neutral and then just play the mood I'm in and whatever that character becomes is what I stick to. If you really play and explore (to the extent that the game will allow) the chapters are L O N G. Playing the way I do, I've been told it can take as long as 80 hours or more to finish the game. I love long RPGs (that's why I play TES). But that's also why I did not buy the recent expansion, because it forces you into one of two alignments, chaotic evil or lawful good (bull****).

On a side note, I completely have the hots for Neeshka, I take her everywhere.

I bought then played and was not entertained. In my opinion the first NN was much better. The expansion Undrentide was exceptional. Regardless, my favorite class would usually be the cleric. the combination of close combat, light magic, and healing equates to a lethal and effective combination. Racially, I would end up being a human.

Ah cool, I've also just started this game. I kinda wanted something with that old-school Baldur's Gate feel.

Playing reminds me heavily of a D&D based KOTOR, which isn't too bad. I do like the customability. I've an Aasimer fighter of lawful evil alignment and a complete ladies's man. So he'll blackmail you if he ain't too busy stealin' your girlfriend. :thumbsup:

I think overall it's... ok. Not really what I expected. The areas are a bit smaller than I'd like. The story's hackneyed/unremarkable. But coming straight off Oblivion I guess I should expect to find another RPG lacking. Might pick up the first game, people tell me it's better.

First playthrough: ok

Second playthrough: terrible

Third playthrough: GREAT!

I don't know why I didn't like it those first two times, but that was about a year ago. What's with these people with evil Aasimars? Do you not read descriptions? An Aasimar is a half-celestial, half of a creature of pure good. The one thing I don't like is that the game pretty much forces you into good. There's this thing at the beginning of Chapter 2...I don't know how it's possible to get through it without being good. That's ok, though.

You know how I was just complaining about you people with your evil Aasimars, right? Well get ready for some laughs...My character is a Lawful Good Drow Monk. ;D I picked this for two reasons: bonuses. Drow have the most attribute points of all the races, and spell resistance, and monks just kick ass. Also, that dark skin is just soooo hot, especially with a few mods with revealing armour. It's just so wonderful walking around with a bunch of half-naked--where was I? Oh right. Neverwinter Nights 2 is great, wonderful...Now I have to go somewhere else...

I am going to be hard here...

I was and still is a very big fan of Neverwinter Nights...I did a couple of mods for that game. I really enjoyed myself with this game. I liked the original campaign (yes I did) and love the two expansions. I also played on line quite a lot...

This game was great period...

Obviously I was one of the very first who bought Neverwinter Nights II...but I was so disapointed in both the game itself and the toolset that I disintalled it to never play it again...the collector box is still taking dust on my shelf...

The game has a clostrophobic atmosphere I can't cope with...The characters are clumsy...The game had so much bugs it was almost unplayable at the time of its launch (I hear they fixed that). The camera angles were a nightmare and the story was not so much engaging....Finally the toolset is so unintuitive compared to Neverwinter Nights, I was getting more frustration than enjoyment.

In one word this game is a FAILURE for me...so much so I don't want to hear about Obsidian again and will probably never buy a game developped by this team...

Please make me change my mind...

I was and still is a very big fan of Neverwinter Nights...I did a couple of mods for that game. I really enjoyed myself with this game. I liked the original campaign (yes I did) and love the two expansions. I also played on line quite a lot...

Obviously I was one of the very first who bought Neverwinter Nights II...but I was so disapointed in both the game itself and the toolset that I disintalled it to never play it again...the collector box is still taking dust on my shelf...

The game has a clostrophobic atmosphere I can't cope with...The characters are clumsy...The game had so much bugs it was almost unplayable at the time of its launch (I hear they fixed that). The camera angles were a nightmare and the story was not so much engaging....Finally the toolset is so unintuitive compared to Neverwinter Nights, I was getting more frustration than enjoyment.

In one word this game is a FAILURE for me...so much so I don't want to hear about Obsidian again and will probably never buy a game developped by this team...

To MasterAub,

Well, I can't say anything about NWN2 because i haven't installed my copy yet(still working my way through the first game). But if your looking for a good game from obsidian then you might want to checkout KOTOR2. The story wasn't as good as the first, but the gameplay, party development, and character development was (in my opinion) very much improved.

Monks. Always half-elf monks. Even in Oblivion, I play monks. I found NWN2 v. buggy, and not as enjoyable as NWN. More restricted.

Half elves!? Half elves suck. All they get are a few minor bonuses and no 'preferred class.' Both humans and elves are better than half elves. Humans get extra skill points and an extra feat, while elves get better bonuses, especially the drow.

To MasterAub,

Well, I can't say anything about NWN2 because i haven't installed my copy yet(still working my way through the first game). But if your looking for a good game from obsidian then you might want to checkout KOTOR2. The story wasn't as good as the first, but the gameplay, party development, and character development was (in my opinion) very much improved.

I'll go out on a limb here. It seems Obsidian is making a habit of developing crappy followups to Bioware games. Having said that, try KOTOR 1 if you're gonna try KOTOR at all (it's Bioware, not Obsidian). Though I think Obsidian has a few original titles coming out soon. Hope they're better than those two.

First playthrough: ok

Second playthrough: terrible

Third playthrough: GREAT!

*guffaws*

That happened to me with Baldur's Gate 1. I think the whole experience is kinda hit or miss if you're just learning something as in-depth as the D&D ruleset. Especially coming off JRPGs like I was.

Archived