Rebellion or Legion

StanIsTheLaw

Khajiit so she doesn't care one way or another. She leans towards the Nords because they are under occupation, but the Imperials seem to be more accepting of her race so she also leans towards them.

Rabbit

I went with Stormcloaks because they didn't try to execute me for.. what the heck did I do wrong :(

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. it's like this. Picture the Empire as the guys trying to hold it all together and the Rebellion as the racist xenophobic bigots intent on defending the purity of the Nordic race from the influx of lesser races and keeping their Nordic hallowed traditions and culture untainted. They are the 'true' sons and daughters of Skyrim and Skyrim is only for the Nords.. Ulfric probably has setup his share of 'labour' camps. :whistling:

What an impartial, unbiased assessment of the two sides. :rolleyes:

Quite frankly, there is nobody with an unbiased view of either side in Skyrim. Everyone either takes a side or claims that he/she is fighting for him/herself. It's like reading up on "The Talos Mistake" and believing immediately that the Thalmor were nice people. Both sides have compelling arguments with their own flaws for what they do or are about to do.

I'd go for the Stormcloaks. Everyone who says that the Stormcloaks are racist is just wrong.

The Nords overall have many racists in them, because they've been dictated to for quite a while and their land keeps being robbed of resources by the Imperials and as a result they are resentful and mistrustful of other races.

The Stormcloaks, however, want to liberate Skyrim from the Empire and the Thalmor. They want this because the Thalmor openly arrest and torture the people of Skyrim (think of the Missing in Action quest for proof) and the Empire, for whom MANY of the Stormcloaks have fought for in the Great War, has sold out its people to the Thalmor just so the Emperor can maintain his throne. (the lore says Skyrim isn't the first province to be screwed by the Imperials in this fashion: think of Hammerfell).

There are no racist missions for the Stormcloaks, no racist statements by Ulfric or Galmar or whomever. Yes, it's true, Stormcloak cities are poorer than Imperial controlled cities, but mainly because the Empire openly gives money to their favorite Jarls (Igmund in Markarth admits this at some point). Also Winterhold was battered by the Sea of Ghosts, Riften has Maven BLack-Briar, an Imperial sympathizer, as a crimelord boss, etc.

The poverty in Stormcloak cities makes most people living in squalor and the Nords to be resentful of the other races whom they blame for their condition. However, enterprising people can make a living regardless of race EVEN IN WINDHELM, ULFRIC'S CITY! Examples: Nurelion, owner of the White Phial, Niranye, the Altmer trader, etc.

Do racist Nords enlist in the Stormcloak army? Sure. But that does NOT make the Stormcloaks racist. That's like saying the US Army is a bunch of criminals because they allow former criminals to enlist.

Now as for Ulfric being power-hungry and so on, I'm sure he is. So frakking what? He'll make a considerably better ruler than any of the recent Emperors. And the Empire isn't what it used to be, it barely has 3 provinces to its name nowadays. When you sell out your own people you don't deserve to exist anymore. The Empire must die.

The Nords overall have many racists in them, because they've been dictated to for quite a while and their land keeps being robbed of resources by the Imperials and as a result they are resentful and mistrustful of other races.

Uhh... robbed by the imperials. For example?

The Stormcloaks, however, want to liberate Skyrim from the Empire and the Thalmor. They want this because the Thalmor openly arrest and torture the people of Skyrim (think of the Missing in Action quest for proof) and the Empire, for whom MANY of the Stormcloaks have fought for in the Great War, has sold out its people to the Thalmor just so the Emperor can maintain his throne. (the lore says Skyrim isn't the first province to be screwed by the Imperials in this fashion: think of Hammerfell).

The concordat is a painful one yes. Well it brought them peace where the alternative was unconditional defeat. The empire thinks it can use the peace (at the cost) to built up and confront the treaty, while the Thalmor likely signed it, since they think it will eat the Empire up from within - which Ulfric doing quite nicely for them.

There are no racist missions for the Stormcloaks, no racist statements by Ulfric or Galmar or whomever. Yes, it's true, Stormcloak cities are poorer than Imperial controlled cities, but mainly because the Empire openly gives money to their favorite Jarls (Igmund in Markarth admits this at some point). Also Winterhold was battered by the Sea of Ghosts, Riften has Maven BLack-Briar, an Imperial sympathizer, as a crimelord boss, etc.

So now they give and don't rob? Like the Jarl of Whiterun puts it in the imperial line - Cryodill exports wealth and food while Skyrim in return fortifies their northern border by fierce warriors.

The poverty in Stormcloak cities makes most people living in squalor and the Nords to be resentful of the other races whom they blame for their condition. However, enterprising people can make a living regardless of race EVEN IN WINDHELM, ULFRIC'S CITY! Examples: Nurelion, owner of the White Phial, Niranye, the Altmer trader, etc.

Blaming other races is what build and makes right-wing extremisms.

Now as for Ulfric being power-hungry and so on, I'm sure he is. So frakking what? He'll make a considerably better ruler than any of the recent Emperors. And the Empire isn't what it used to be, it barely has 3 provinces to its name nowadays. When you sell out your own people you don't deserve to exist anymore. The Empire must die.

Talos is also worshipped in Cryodill, so its not that they sold out Skyrim, but considered it a necessary evil for getting peace when they were on the losing side of the war. Actually very little is given about true intentions and workings of the Thalmor.

I actually identify with the Imperials more than the Stormcloaks, but I went Stormcloak. The Stormcloaks are racist, barbaric bastards as a whole, and the "King" is an ambitious, self serving butt-hole. But I witnessed too many times where the Imperials were acting more like an occupying, evil entity that cared nothing for the people of the land, than the unifying police force they should have been. When I came upon them demanding a "toll" out on a wilderness road, it was the last straw.

A nice expansion to the story would be where I get to then overthrow the Stormcloak king and seat a new, more benevolent ruler.

If you kill the "toll" guys, and look around, you would see a couple of corpses of men of Imperial race, and a few other stuff which seems to point out they're brigands dressed as imperial soldiers. Like the one in the dragonfort where he tricked you into getting a dragon mask for him.

The best evidence of this is if you're a member of the legion yourself, in which case you get a, "I'm in the Legion, and I'm fairly certain you're not" dialogue option.

I actually identify with the Imperials more than the Stormcloaks, but I went Stormcloak. The Stormcloaks are racist, barbaric bastards as a whole, and the "King" is an ambitious, self serving butt-hole. But I witnessed too many times where the Imperials were acting more like an occupying, evil entity that cared nothing for the people of the land, than the unifying police force they should have been. When I came upon them demanding a "toll" out on a wilderness road, it was the last straw.

A nice expansion to the story would be where I get to then overthrow the Stormcloak king and seat a new, more benevolent ruler.

If you kill the "toll" guys, and look around, you would see a couple of corpses of men of Imperial race, and a few other stuff which seems to point out they're brigands dressed as imperial soldiers. Like the one in the dragonfort where he tricked you into getting a dragon mask for him.

Yes, you should always be suspicious and investigate such things in Skyrim. Sometimes you can just check the inventory of the self proclaimed Imperial and note the difference from what you'd normally find on legit Imperials. Mixed matched armor is a dead giveaway. Scouting the area for corpses is always good. But, yes, the first and biggest giveaway is always unlawful behavior. A legit Imperial has never asked a toll of me or not allowed me to peacefully pass them on any road. As long as you never accidentally harm one, they're also good to have around or even follow when you know there's trouble ahead.