Tried to Mod, accidentally lost Data folder, what do I do?

calafr4gilistic

I tried my hand at installing some mods. One of them involved extracting into/replacing the original data folder. Against my better judgement, I was really really tired when doing this, so I don't exactly know what happened. I all of a sudden realized that my Data folder was gone! I tried to ctrl-z a few times, nothing. When I tried to start Skyrim, obviously it gave me a 'crash' error message. The next day I uninstalled through the control panel, and reinstalled downloading the whole game from Steam (I couldn't find my Skyrim disk). Now it is done installing, but it still will not start. The 'Data' folder is there now, but when I open it it doesn't feel like everything is there. It gives me the startup picture, I click 'play', the picture disappears, and then nothing. No error message or anything. Do I need the original disk to try to reinstall again, or did I just royally F up and what do I have to do to fix this? The tech support website that the menu takes you to is a joke.

EDIT: This screenshot is my current skyrim folder. If you need to see my data folder I will do a shot of that as well.

Edited by calafr4gilistic

There are a few ways to fix this.

Option A:

If you have w7 revert Skyrim back to before it stopped working

Option B:

1. Right click Skyrim in Steam

2. Properties

3. Local files

4. Verify integrity of game cache

That will start a file check and any lacking/corrupt files will fail to validate and will be reaquired (downloaded again).

Option C:

1. Delete all mod files and settings (including skyrimprefs.ini in Documents/My Games/Skyrim

2. Do "Option B"

3. Check if it works

If it doesn't work

4. Uninstall Skyrim

5. Delete all files associated with Skyrim (except for the saved games)

6. Redownload/install the game

edit - fixed some typos (darn I'm tired)

Edited by Lhamaria

Option A:

Option B:

2. Properties

3. Local files

That will start a file check and any lacking/corrupt files will fail to validate and will be reaquired (downloaded again).

Option C:

1. Delete all mod files and settings (including skyrimprefs.ini in Documents/My Games/Skyrim

2. Do "Option B"

3. Check if it works

If it doesn't work

4. Uninstall Skyrim

I'm trying the last option now. Deleted EVERYTHING, copied saves to another spot and deleted the original as well just to be sure. I'll update you soon. Thanks for the tips.

Option A:

Option B:

2. Properties

3. Local files

Option C:

2. Do "Option B"

3. Check if it works

If it doesn't work

4. Uninstall Skyrim

IT WORKED!! SWEET!! Thanks so much bro. Now how can I delete this thread so it doesn't crowd up the board?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Nope, but after I download it from Steam - I literally copy/paste the whole skyrim folder to another location and that becomes my vanilla skyrim backup. If I need to start over, I can literally delete the skyrim folder inside steamapps/common then copy/paste my entire 'skyrim' backup folder back in there. I also backup tmy Documents/My Games/Skyrim folder (INIs and save games) the "my documents/appdata/local/skyrim" folder which contains the load-order files. Many don't realize that appdata/local/skyrim folder exists because you would need to first 'unhide' the appdata folder at some point in time in folder options so that it shows up in file explorer.

• 1 year later...