Good Quest Variety?

americanwierdo

Hey, I'm working on adding mods that quests with a variety of different focuses.

Right now, I've gotten the fetch quest down pat pretty well. And the assassin quest (which is a fetch quest I disguise as an assassin quest) too.

But other than quests like "go kill this guy" or "go get me this object" what are some other general kinds of quests you guys can think of?

I want to add more variety to these mods. I know that mods can't just be "shoot them up" all the way through, especially if they're long.

I'm just looking for ideas is all: simple examples of stuff you've seen. Can you think of a mod that had a quest that was particularly interesting and different to you that I can draw inspiration from?

Let me know your thoughts. All feedback is appreciated.

-Americanwierdo

All quests break down to "go somewhere", "find something", and (perhaps) "report back".

The variations on "go somewhere" consist of how do you reveal the destination or next step on the journey to the destination? Multi-step journeys where the player has to figure out the next step are more complex to create, but more interesting. Though you do need to leave a way for them to continue if they can't find or figure out the clue. The steps can consist of notes in some form, or dialogue with various encounters of different dispositions, or even a "walk-thru" document to go along with the "ReadMe" file.

The variations on "find something" are very similar to those of "go somewhere". A staged journey is essentially a "find the next clue of where to go" search. The clue may take the player to a general vacinity, but then they may need to explore or interact with inhabitants to determine the necessary information to proceed further.

The end goal of the quest may be "report back" in order to get the next quest, or the destination may be the goal itself. Big payouts are not necessary. The journey itself should be it's own reward. The lure itself is often "fools gold".

Encounters and obstacles along the way are actually incidental to most quests. They can certainly be woven into the "steps" in accordance with the "mini-boss" and "final boss" fight model, but that is so predictable. A level based pitched battle when completely unexpected is much more satisfying, don't you think?

An excellent example of all of the above is "Zion Trail".

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

All quests break down to "go somewhere", "find something", and (perhaps) "report back".

The variations on "go somewhere" consist of how do you reveal the destination or next step on the journey to the destination? Multi-step journeys where the player has to figure out the next step are more complex to create, but more interesting. Though you do need to leave a way for them to continue if they can't find or figure out the clue. The steps can consist of notes in some form, or dialogue with various encounters of different dispositions, or even a "walk-thru" document to go along with the "ReadMe" file.

The variations on "find something" are very similar to those of "go somewhere". A staged journey is essentially a "find the next clue of where to go" search. The clue may take the player to a general vacinity, but then they may need to explore or interact with inhabitants to determine the necessary information to proceed further.

The end goal of the quest may be "report back" in order to get the next quest, or the destination may be the goal itself. Big payouts are not necessary. The journey itself should be it's own reward. The lure itself is often "fools gold".

Encounters and obstacles along the way are actually incidental to most quests. They can certainly be woven into the "steps" in accordance with the "mini-boss" and "final boss" fight model, but that is so predictable. A level based pitched battle when completely unexpected is much more satisfying, don't you think?

An excellent example of all of the above is "Zion Trail".

-Dubious-

Thanks for your thoughts! I understand what you mean: so you're saying that there are three general categories of quests, but they can be complicated in such a way to provide a myriad of different quests. I can definitely do that.

Now, I've got a follow up question if you don't mind giving me your thoughts. A few people have noted that my last mod lacked "Role playing elements." What are ways in which a quest can have more role playing in it?

Actually I am saying that all quests consist of those three elements: "go", "find", and (usually) "report" (or at least "get out alive"). On second thought, that last element ("report") should be "get the reward", as the form of and where you obtain the payoff is just a variation as well. The variation is in how explicit each of those elements is expressed up front, and how complex what seems to be simple can get. Think of the quests in the main FNV storyline. Go to New Vegas and Find the guy who shot you. (Reward is the next stage of the overall questline.) Find the platinum chip and bring it back to Mr House. (Reward is a choice of "endgame" solutions to pursue.) Find the leader of "x" faction and persuade them to support you. (Reward is next step in pursuit of the endgame goal.) Get lured to the treasure of the Sierra Madre and find your way out again. (Reward is an obscene amount of money so you can obtain any material goods you need and focus on the endgame goal.) Etc.

As for "role playing elements". "Role playing" is all about getting into your character and responding to various situations as you think the character would. So the mod author has to provide situations that challenge the player to think about how their character would respond. Being attacked doesn't call for much thought as to the response. Being attacked by "innocents" such as children does. Being presented with a moral dilemma does. Interacting with an NPC who is not willing to provide information just because you ask challenges you to come up with an approach that will persuade them. Sometimes that may be resolved by using a different skill (i.e. Charisma or Luck or a Perk instead of Speech), and sometimes by following alternate lines of questioning that reveal something that can be traded for the information. Being forced to think is generally the key to what a role player is looking for. Not everything should be a straightforward "brute force" or "just ask" solution. In coming up with these solutions, each helps the player form a clearer image in their mind as to how their character views the world and reacts to it. But to have choice also means you the author have to provide more than one possible solution for the player to choose among, with different consequences for that choice. Hence the difficulty and challenge of developing good role playing elements.

-Dubious- [Edit to expand some points.]

Edited by dubiousintent

Alright, I'll be sure to consider that in the future.

My next mod will be just as goofy (if not more so) than my last one, so adding in a factor of roleplaying that is based on the Player trying to figure out what the character would do in that situation will be a bit tough. After all, for the character, the world of FNV is very real. But I have a bad habit of repeatedly breaking the 4th wall which kinda kills the immersion. But I'm sure there are ways to make a mod funny but also strong with RP elements.

As for the mod after that, I'm planning on doing one that has some humor elements but overall is more of a "serious" mod with a greater sense of immersion. That's probably the one where I'll work to add as much RPing as I can.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'd just like to add a few points to hopefully help out ... and plz don't take it the wrong way.

But I get the impression you are making quests for the sake of working with the geck.

Hence your knowledge and prowess with the geck are driving the story content.

Not that there is anything wrong with that , and is always good to do what ever in the long journey of getting better with the geck as a tool.

But would suggest ... dare to dream big on your story content first , then filter it down through your knowledge and prowess of using the geck. Hence story first ... even if it comes out clunky in its render.

I just know that getting engrossed in the details of the geck tool can lead to losing sight of the original story idea.

And it's a shame to let that happen , because what most mod users want is a good story

IDK ... just something I thought was worth mentioning. But Hell Ya ! ... just modding itself can be way fun :dance:

I'd just like to add a few points to hopefully help out ... and plz don't take it the wrong way.

But I get the impression you are making quests for the sake of working with the geck.

Hence your knowledge and prowess with the geck are driving the story content.

Naw, I'm afraid you have it backwards. I'm working with the geck to create a story.

I've discovered that the Geck isn't really User friendly. It's hard to believe that mods like Enclave Commando and the Frontier can be made using this same program.

Usually I start out with a story in mind and then I have to wrestle with the Geck to get it to make that story a reality. I have to cut a few corners here and there sometimes, but in the end most of the story in the quests are pre-meditated.

I just wanted to learn how to make the quests have more RP since people have mentioned that before. I'm all about improving, and if that's one way to do it, than that's how I'll do it.

Anyway, thanks for your help! I will!