Fallout 4 High Res Texture Update

L3s7ing

So I recently went through the game news again and found this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-high-res-texture-pack-coming-to-pc-ps4-p/1100-6447385/ (also confirmed by other sites)

Fallout 4 Update for pc with High Res Textures and this article claims that it will need 58GB of additional space... My reaction was something like "um.. wtf?"

So I just want to throw this in here and ask if anyone have heard something specific on this?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we went from a recommend gtx 780 to a gtx 1080... What are those textures? 8k or just poorly optimized again?

Haven't seen a release date yet, some claim next week.

It'll sure be an interesting update... If anyone can run it. Combined with other mods it could be pretty close.

But I shouldn't be so critical with it. It comes for free, so there's no risk in it. Maxbe I'm just a bit shocked about the size.

Edited by L3s7ing

What the hell. And I thought the Witcher 3's size was big.

35GB on witcher 3 ... pff, this game needs to learn it's place! Fear the 88GB Fallout 4!

Jokes aside, I think the biggest game I've had installed yet was one of the Battlefield ones with around 70GB ...

Edit: sry, 35GB was the base game I think, with dlc's installed it was around 55GB for me. Still seems small now :D

Edited by L3s7ing

Jup, if I understand the articles right it will be fully optional.

If it's a complete waste the tests will show... but my hopes aren't high for the bethesda textures. Maybe some modder will do an overhaul, but there are already many of them out there if needed (4k texture overhauls).

If it's anything like the "supposed' HD texture pack for Skyrim, then don't get excited. Most of those were simply scaled up versions of the vanilla textures, and were NOT (in any way, shape or form) "HD".

There is a BIG difference between High Resolution and High Definition, but sadly most plebs don't know the difference. The only advantage to anything over 2K is the "mip" scaling in game, and you'll only see a difference then if a) you have a BEAST of a system and are already running at maxed out settings, and b) you are viewing things with the camera 2 inches from the object and not actually playing the game.

Almost all of FO4's textures are already 2K and fairly decent as far as detail goes. The only way they will improve is if a real texture "artist" comes over to the dark side (such as Linde) and starts making proper HD textures for FO4.

The game is very poorly optimized already, as it doesn't use even half the power of even an old GPU, but it does require vast bucket loads of video ram and system ram, and that will only get worse with stupidly and pointlessly large textures.