Fallout 4 High Res Texture Update

L3s7ing

Ok, i decided to try out the new textures, and man, its so unoptimized. I went from 60+ stable fps in a heavily modded 4k game, to ~20-30 fps with the new DLC. Looks like im going back to Vivid texturepacks again. Uninstalling this DLC.

My hardware:

ASUS z170 Pro Gaming motherboard

i7 6700K @ 4.2GHz

H115i Liquid Cooling

RM750 750w PSU

32Gb DDR4 @ 3000MHz

ASUS RoG GTX1080

Samsung 850 SSD

EDIT, turns out Fallout4ConfigTool made some weird updates in my INI files, gonna try again, after using default INIs

Edited by ReptyleRazer

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this "update" come on as a required "install"? Mine won't let me play the game at all, says I have to install, and needs all those GB's. I don't have a massive hard drive and I have software (like CAD) I can't delete, I actually don't have the room for all this ridiculous space for this. Does anyone know a workaround, so I can keep playing without installing?

Because as it is I guess Bethesda just dictated that I can't play the game I paid for anymore.

I emailed Bethesda, but their help was less than meaningless, it was aggravating. They wouldn't even answer if this was update-related (it must be, right?) or if something has gone wonky with my game. They said I needed to do a complete reinstall, which just cannot be the case. I've finally got a heavily modded game reasonably stable, and I do NOT want to do that and have to reinstall/re-tweak everything. Plus I'm not even sure I'll have the space to do that anyway, with this stupid update.

Can anyone help? Is there any way to just play the game again and avoid this install/update?I don't have F4SE installed, I've tried offline mode (says I can't play without installing), I tried removing the ini's (like Bethesda said to do, for some reason), tried launching from the varios exe's and from NMM, it won't let me do anything without installing.

PS - Does anyone else find it absurd that you can't just buy a game, play it and be happy? How can they force this crap on you, and make it so this game you like to play, that you paid for, is now unusable unless you have a good internet connection and a couple hundred bucks worth of hard disk space?

Does this "update" come on as a required "install"? Mine won't let me play the game at all, says I have to install, and needs all those GB's. I don't have a massive hard drive and I have software (like CAD) I can't delete, I actually don't have the room for all this ridiculous space for this. Does anyone know a workaround, so I can keep playing without installing?

Because as it is I guess Bethesda just dictated that I can't play the game I paid for anymore.

I emailed Bethesda, but their help was less than meaningless, it was aggravating. They wouldn't even answer if this was update-related (it must be, right?) or if something has gone wonky with my game. They said I needed to do a complete reinstall, which just cannot be the case. I've finally got a heavily modded game reasonably stable, and I do NOT want to do that and have to reinstall/re-tweak everything. Plus I'm not even sure I'll have the space to do that anyway, with this stupid update.

Can anyone help? Is there any way to just play the game again and avoid this install/update?I don't have F4SE installed, I've tried offline mode (says I can't play without installing), I tried removing the ini's (like Bethesda said to do, for some reason), tried launching from the varios exe's and from NMM, it won't let me do anything without installing.

PS - Does anyone else find it absurd that you can't just buy a game, play it and be happy? How can they force this crap on you, and make it so this game you like to play, that you paid for, is now unusable unless you have a good internet connection and a couple hundred bucks worth of hard disk space?

The Update itself is a "must", but you can deactivate the high res dlc under steam. Don't know if I translate it right but under additional content in your fo4 tab you can take away the tick at the high res dlc.

So no need to download the 58 GB's.

But as said before, this update wasn't automatic. If I remember correctly you had to get it yourself in Steam.. but maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by L3s7ing

Ethreon, I appreciate the reply. You've helped with comments in the past, I appreciate it. But - and I know people say this all the time - I didn't do anything. There is nothing I could be doing wrong. I played the game the day before the update, and then the day after when I launched Fallout, Steam popped up saying I need to install. "You are about to install Fallout 4."

In the past, Steam has updated Fallout automatically (which itself is annoying, honestly), but not like this.

Is this not how the update went for you all? If not, what could possibly have happened? L3s7ing, how did the update prompt for you?

It actually says "disk space required 34428MB."

???

Then it's not the high res dlc you're downloading, cause that came at 54-55 GB for me.

Seems like Steam wants to reinstall your basic game... or it's just bugged and the update itself is small, but steam shows the required end space of the whole game. Had this problem a few times already.

But yes, for the rest of us, atleast as far I can see, that's not how the update went. So I assume it's a problem due to steam or at your end :-/ maybe you will have to reinstall the game. But you could copy your fo4 folder and after the reinstall just switch the content.

I decided to give it a try too. Well, it's pretty on a 4k display, I can tell that much.

I can also say they weren't kidding about recommending a GTX-1080 for it. I'm only on a GTX-980 Ti, and I was getting like 20-30 FPS until I disabled the god-rays and some of that stuff.

Granted, it would probably run faster in lower resolution. I mean, if you're only on 1920x1080, you only need to render a quarter as many pixels, so that would probably be 60 FPS all around. Then again, you don't really need 4k textures if you're not in 4k.

Argh. Makes no sense. But of course it wouldn't be the first time for that.

It's an awfully weird coincidence that this happened the day the update came out... With no other changes. (None!)

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I guess maybe I will try to reinstall. Unfortunately I'll have to delete Fallout 4 to make the necessary room for... Fallout 4. This is crazy.

If I save my entire Fallout 4 folder and copy it back after reinstalling, then all my modding stuff should work just fine, right? But honestly, I can't understand what could have changed, so how do I know that won't start this problem over again.

NMM folder should still work? Save over my My Games folder too I guess (with ini's and my save files). And my App Data folder. And whatever else I'm forgetting. Dammit, man.

Maybe I should take this as a sign that I've played too much of this game and need to get on with my actual life...?