The only clean Commonwealth food is meat?

Fatalmasterpiece

Am I missing something, is the only clean food in the Commonwealth is meat?

I tried making my recent character live off food farmed from their settlement only to discover all the farmed vegetables are irradiated. It seems you can only cook vegetables with "dirty water" and the only other available recipes for clean food are by grilling meat.

Am I missing a recipe? Is there a mod that adds more vegetable recipes?

I have no problem with hunting for meat but why is gardening vegetables practically useless other than for making starch adhesive?

Well, raw meat adds rads. So any form of food, meat or veg, if not cooked adds rads.

There are some recipes call for vegetables e.g. yao guai roast which needs a carrot and a tato in addition to the meat. Then there are the soups, almost all of which require a vegetable.

So my conclusion from all this is that cooking removes radiation in the Fallout universe. If only it were true in real life.

Right, that makes sense. But why can't I make soup out of purified water and vegetables? You can only make soup from dirty water, not purified. It's almost like you need a dirt water generator in the workshop menu.

I think Beth intended the dirty water to add "seasoning". :tongue:

Right, that makes sense. But why can't I make soup out of purified water and vegetables? You can only make soup from dirty water, not purified. It's almost like you need a dirt water generator in the workshop menu.

I have no idea. Dev's logic.

Why can't I plant a wild mutfruit but I can with one I harvested from my mutfruit plot?

I have no idea. Dev's logic.

Why can't I plant a wild mutfruit but I can with one I harvested from my mutfruit plot?

Right? Why can't you make vegetable starch with wild mutfruits? The food in FO4 feels very tacked on and not thought out.

you know what, fatalmasterpiece? I think you're onto something.

the plot thickens when one considers,

the DLC for wasteland contraptions, does not add any which 'clean food'.

not even a nod to Soylent Green...

or vegetarian/vegan friendly post-apocalyptic menu add ons,

for folks at the Sunshine Tidings co-op.

Professor Goodfeels would share the recipes.

I want it to be a little nook of these hippies that don't have any issues with the wasteland;

they've never met the Enclave, The Institute, Caesar's Legion or Raiders of any sort...

(though a couple used to be from those).

It's like folks have never tried vegan or vegetarian food.

theres a lot they could do with it to make it appetizing.

in FONV, there was the Gourmand, which also had vegetarian stuff.

it seems odd they didn't develop this motif more,

and you'd think it would have started prior to 2077, so there'd be folks in 2290s thinking it was

the most luxurious to eat vegetarian food prepared in a pre-war way.

Mamosa, brownies, breads, chili (five alarm atomic fireball chili),

roasted beetroot chips in a bitter vinaigrette.

stews, veggie crockpot. corn dogs/hot-dogs, fritters,

bakes, lasagna, quiche

the desserts; peanut brittles, cakes and pies, self-sourced yoghurts etc.

The fancier stuff would be staples in The Institute.

the deep-fried-ier stuff would be staples at Diamond City or Boston Monument.

Although, as robots can still be found near the Mechanist

and General Atomics Robot Galleria,

you'd think those'd have rad-free zones.

Even the Institute or the Rail Road...

so, what would you recommend as a mod/s, Fatalmasterpiece?

I mean, the lead-belly perk is fine for the player character, though not everyone wants to take that perk for FORPG reasons.

and it doesn't fix things for the NPCs.

a trangia/flavorwave convective stove which has a rad-sink filter which leeches the rads from things you cook on it?

the filter is good for ~30 cooks, and then needs to be replaced.

coincidentally, these 'depleted rad-sink filters' attract rad-ghouls and make good ghoul-feed for chumming the waters, or make effective ammunition against humanoids...

(new weapon - rad-sink filter thrower)

the karma issue becomes - how do we keep the Children of Atom or the Enclave from getting their mits on these rad-filters?

a hopper full of vegetables is placed over a captive cage - the rads are transferred via osmosis to the cage-ee/large rad filter?

if the cage-ee is a captive feral ghoul, then its' a win-win - you feed them, people get food, and no-one has to fear a rad-ghoul. it won't work with a supermutant,

it just makes them angrier. After 40 - 50 tonnes, the ghoul you had in the cage becomes a glowing-one, and you need to move on to the next ghoul.

if the cage-ee is a normal person... well, they won't be for much longer (you can make folks into a ghoul army for goodneighbor).

every food decision in survival is a FORPG/GURPS moment,

your karma depends on how you source that next meal.

Do you sacrifice that 1 cage-ee to feed the settlement their presumably ethically sourced vegetables?

this'd be great to watch Petard grapple with.

I would sentence a few settlement dwellers to death via osmotic ghoulification, especially if they'd done heinous crimes. Former mayor of Diamond City who vilified Ghouls? Death via fatal osmotic ghoulification! don't let them out until they's a glowin one!

Little Lamplight-ians? they didn't pay their taxes to The Enclave...

or see, the posthumous trial of VaultTec Execs project.

or, you can douse the vegetables in chemicals,

a few 44galon drums of RadAway per 4lb bag of vegetables oughta be more than enough chemicals to make

the Muti-fruits all good.

except, they don't make RadAway no more

(to the tune of "no-body smokes here, any more").

Making RadAway pollutes the environment and needs huge supply chains.

do folks pollute the environment more, take more precious finite resources and waste ERoEI,

just to take a few rads away from some vegetables?

can the caps economy handle that?

or, the Good Institute can make more GMO varieties... these are rad-resistant,

though may ultimately sterilize the wastelanders (project purity part 2 anyone?)

and could compromise human security... opt-in fecundity;

"if you're not a rocket scientist with The Institute, then you're probably not doing anything a Synth couldn't do..."

maybe when they teleport stuff, they can teleport away the rads?

what happens to all the wasted food and scraps?

do those become waste that the less well to do at a settlement can trawl through?

does it become guarded compost?

what happens when the GarbagePeople go on strike?

"oh no! it's the GarbagePeople come to fight the Minutemen"

Big open space for a mod here. The mods I've seen so far have had problems since updates etc. Currently I only use a clean water recipes and wild fruit converting mod.