So. What is your personal interpratation of the SOPA and PIPA acts?

huntsman2310

How do laws against murder stop murders?

The answer is, they don't, but you don't simply throw up your hands in surrender because you can't stop the activity from happening.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same way laws against murder attempt to stop murders.

By providing for a means to punish sites who are engaging in criminal activity, in this case by denying them revenue streams for their illegal activities, and if necessary, to have them kicked off the web.

In the same way laws against murder attempt to stop murders.

By providing for a means to punish sites who are engaging in criminal activity, in this case by denying them revenue streams for their illegal activities, and if necessary, to have them kicked off the web.

What does engaging in criminal activity mean? And providing means to who?

Edited by marharth

Criminal activity - something against the law. Piracy = stealing. It's not brain science. However, you are right on who assumes the responsibility of controlling the activity: most current sectors are too small to handle this.

I was referring to how people claim that the smallest link to a pirate site will be considered criminal. Also piracy is not the exact same thing as theft. Piracy is a completely separate crime to theft and they are not identical.

Edited by marharth

Of course I am being serious.

What do you define as engaging in criminal activity? Who will this bill provide the means to do the things you mentioned?

Um. Committing crimes? I would have though the definition of "engaging in criminal activity" was self-evident. It means just what dazzerfong said, doing something that's against the law.

The bill will provide copyright holders the means to enforce their rights against the thieves, via the initiation of action through the US Attorney General's office.

I was referring to how people claim that the smallest link to a pirate site will be considered criminal. Also piracy is not the exact same thing as theft. Piracy is a completely separate crime to theft and they are not identical.

Linking to known infringing content is facilitation of the crime. You can be charged as an accessory before the fact. The DMCA already provides for this here in the US. SOPA/PIPA are simply providing the legal tools with which to pursue this against companies doing business with known criminal enterprises overseas.

Of course I am being serious.

What do you define as engaging in criminal activity? Who will this bill provide the means to do the things you mentioned?

Um. Committing crimes? I would have though the definition of "engaging in criminal activity" was self-evident. It means just what dazzerfong said, doing something that's against the law.

The bill will provide copyright holders the means to enforce their rights against the thieves, via the initiation of action through the US Attorney General's office.

Linking to known infringing content is facilitation of the crime. You can be charged as an accessory before the fact. The DMCA already provides for this here in the US. SOPA/PIPA are simply providing the legal tools with which to pursue this against companies doing business with known criminal enterprises overseas.

So a large corporation can take down a entire website that has links to copyrighted materiel or not?

This is what is confusing me. So many people are claiming that this bill is harmless and the other side says it can destroy the internet.

To the people who don't support the bill, where does the bill state that a corporation or government has the power to shut down sites?

To make this clear as well, you are saying that this bill will attempt to stop piracy how? What are the legal tools you are talking about and how will that help?

Edited by marharth