MEGAUPLOAD DOWN

monoto7

Megaupload was the best. Hollywood is expecting 20th century sales in the 21st century. This is nothing more than ridiculous (even though I understand the whole pirate thing).

If this isn't proof that PIPA and SOPA aren't necessary then I don't know what is.

Considering everyone knows Rapidshare is also being used in the same manner, it's inevitable. They're probably already under investigation even.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for MegaVirus. They got what was coming to them.

I wish them the best of luck with that, Rapidshare is based in Switzerland.

I wish them the best of luck with that, Rapidshare is based in Switzerland.

Megaupload was based in Hong Kong, but that didn't stop them.

It was incorporated there, it didn't operate from there.

I know of several modding communities that don't have a dedicated site like Nexus for their mods that use Megaupload. For those that don't use mirrors, that's a lot of content lost. Edited by Povuholo

Megaupload had hundreds of servers in Virginia, so it fell under US law. They had hundreds of servers in various countries, and while perhaps legally stationed in Hong Kong, they were in fact living in New Zealand.

These people were raking in millions and millions of dollars a year in profit for themselves (the people busted in NZ). Kim Dotcom himself owned one of the largest houses in the Land of the Long White Cloud, they bunch had a dozen Mercedes (or something like that), etc etc.

They had dubious practices, to say the least.....they incentivated the highest downloads with cash, knowing full well that it was illegal content that would take in the highest downloads (pretty sure I read that all that's on record, inter-"office" emails, etc).