Custom presets cause crashes or don't appear

Taragor

Hi all,

I got a little weird problem here. I recently created a new face morph (with custom textures) and saved it first as an .mrh file, then as an .mop file on my desktop and copied the files from there to the override folder. I registered it in the chargenmorphcfg.xml, so I can use my morph as a preset for the character creation. But the morph doesn't appear, I also tried it with a self-made morph completely whithout custom content, that one didn't appear either.

After that I gave up and just downloaded presets on the Nexus (I think it was Pretty Faces), and tried the same with these ones (there was a chargenmorphcfg.xml in the mod, so I didn't write the entries myself), the ones not created by me are actually shown! The only problem - they cause Dragon Age to crash every time I try to select a custom preset.

I heard the relevant textures for the morph have to be directly located in the override folder, so I put a copy of them directly in there (out of the subfolders which normally shouldn't be a problem), but it didn't make a difference.

I did make an entry of the morph(s) I want to get for the character creation in the chargenmorphcfg.xml, but I didn't make an entry of the textures I used in the morph, I just put them in the override folder. Can that be the problem?

Here is a list of all mods from which I used textures for my presets (if it helps you to find the problem):

CC Extra Tints and Tones

Bidelles Cosmetics

SP Scars

Ask and your Request Tattoos

I hope you know a solution to this problem, thanks in advance.

- Taragor

• 4 months later...

Try this test. Create new morph using human male base. Once you create your morph export it as .mop file. rename that file to hm_cps_p02.mop and put it in override folder. start DAO and choose new game then choose human male warrior noble and preset number 2 should be your morph.

Backup your chargenmorphcfg.xml file.

Make sure you only wrote mop file not mrh or mor in chargenmorphcfg.xml. Use chagen compiler program to remove bad references. This should remove crashes.

Hi,

I'm sorry, I should have replied earlier - I completely forgot this one here ^^

Well, I already found out what caused the crash. I always tend to use names multiple times, that's why I was so confused. I named my preset EF_CPS_own01.mop, which I already used for a preset I created long ago. However, I copied a backup of that early preset to a path very similar to the one of the Toolset Export folder, and didn't delete it afterwards. So I always took the preset of my backup folder, and this old preset used resources I don't have in my Override folder anymore...

So the actual preset didn't cause any problems at all, I just never noticed I chose the wrong Toolset Export folder (stupid me!) :)

But nevertheless, thank you very much for your reply ;)

- Taragor

• 1 year later...

Hi morbito,

May be a lil late to the party but I am having the same problem, even did what StevoSegalovic recommended an it still makes the game crash.

Mop's can crash because of very different reasons, such as:

- just renaming .mrh files (mrh/mor to .mop) won't work and will most likely crash the game

- multiple entries of the same file in the chargenmorphcfg.xml aren't always the reason for a crash, but it happened to me on some occasions

- or maybe you did the same mistake that I did? Make sure you set the export-to-mop feature (in the Toolset) to True, then export. The file you're looking for should be in a folder named 'Toolset Export', just search for it (it may not be in the override folder you put your ressources into)

Sorry, but I can't tell you the exact path I found my working preset, I don't have Dragon Age installed right now.

Hope that helped.

- Taragor

Edited by Thandal

• 4 years later...

The file you're looking for should be in a folder named 'Toolset Export', just search for it (it may not be in the override folder you put your ressources into)

Oh my god, thank you so much for that little tip! I spent last hour trying to find solution to my problem and that's it! You are the only person in the Internet who was kind enough to even mention exictence of another folder. My eternal gratitude!