What An Excellent Game

Masternaut

If Beth was listening they would have improved questing and AI and not of taken everything out that made the elder scrolls good. Its supposed to be about immersion, exploration, and questing.

This sums up how I feel about Skyrim as well. The graphics are excellent, the gameplay is fun (if a little stale by now), and the dungeons are well-crafted, but it still feels like Beth has forgotten its roots. Mechanics which they got right in Morrowind and Oblivion are now broken - physics and object placement, for example. The replayability of the vanilla game is shot to hell by an oppressive MQ which is difficult to avoid. Most insulting of all, the PC version uses a UI clearly designed for console gamers.

Daggerfall was amazing because the devs didn't allow themselves to be limited by the technology or industry conventions, and just made the game they felt that people wanted to play. If they hadn't, Bethesda would have never gotten off the ground, and there would have been no Morrowind, no Oblivion, and certainly no Skyrim. Morrowind was great because it was an RPG in the truest sense of the word: all your actions had consequences, dialogue had substance to it, and replayability was ensured, since it was impossible for a single character to follow all possible paths. Oblivion, despite streamlining some mechanics that made Morrowind fun, if more complex, still revolutionized the industry with its half-decent physics system and (at the time) groundbreaking graphics.

Skyrim, by contrast, plays like a pale shadow of its predecessors. It feels like Beth took the Oblivion engine, broke it, paid a college intern to write them a story, and used flashy trailers and an eye-catching release date to ensure sales. Furthermore, it does not feel at all like they took the opinions of longtime players into account - it seems much more like they're pandering to the widest possible demographic by dumbing everything down.

While i agree that a lot of the magic of TES games is gone, i don't feel that this is representitive of Beth not listening to the community, but rather trying to broaden its player base. Unfortunately, at the expense of its core, but thats another discussion for another time.

The fact of the matter is, since its release, Bethesda has been working to deal with glitches, bugs and general nonsense in Skyrim which are constantly being brought to their attention by the player base. The fact that they are addressing these issues, or at the very least trying to, shows that they are listening. They should have also listened to the community on ways to improve the TES experience BEFORE Skyrim came out, but being selective about what you pay attention to does not instantly mean you aren't listening at all.

Their certianly better than Techland. Have i mentioned i hate Dead Island and its teleporting Zombies?

I truely do like the game inspite of the bugs an flaws that said i must admit and most will agree everyones game is differant. You have a bug here I dont the next guy might have a new one some people have problems with grafix and such that others dont have. It just amazing to me to read these forums and see all the differants bugs an such and the people that are having NO problems at all. Im not ready to trash the game yet but the forums are keeping it interesting NOT bethesda. I truely dont wanna see anymore $$$ for DLC's going to bethesda how about they FINISH the game make you a hero or something give you a lousy set of armor??????? something ANYTHING.... forget it Ill wait for the talented modders to do that

Skyrim is like the only kid on the block that you can play D&D with. Since no other kids play D&D, you end up loving and hating this kid. He's annoying in so many ways but he's all you've got.

If you're not playing Skyrim right now, what are you playing?

LOL nice metaphor.

They made Skyrim too simple, there are a lot of ways to break the game, AI is just like Oblivion, no improvements. Folowers are even worst...

I like the game, I enjoy it, but it's way overrated.

Edited by pastafrola

Skyrim is like the only kid on the block that you can play D&D with. Since no other kids play D&D, you end up loving and hating this kid. He's annoying in so many ways but he's all you've got.

This quote made me laugh. :tongue:

As incredible as the game is, you cannot possibly say "community" and mean that all encompassing. The concern for PC users is tripe at best. We are give second hand, 8 year old graphics ported hap hazardly from a truely console created game. The controls, the lighting, the graphic depth, resolution, etc,etc,etc. Any PC user can tell you 'til an argonian drowns, we were and are second class citizens to Bethesda and treated like it. Had it not been for our wonderfully talented modders, this game would have been left for dead on anything but the console. Using Steam... well, all I can say is that any freshly laid pile of excrement will exude steam on a cold skyrim morn.

Gods be praised!

Elder Scrolls lore is awesome in general. It's a big reason I keep coming back to this series, while others have been abandoned. I think it's the fact that Skyrim shares this lore which allows me to pretend it's a good RPG.

As far as games in general go, it's great. As far as role playing games go, not so much.

Needs moar rpg elements. kthx.