CM Partners, Adding Dialogue & Editing Vanilla Sound Files ?

Sonja

OK.. I am really hoping somebody can help me here. :smile:

I'm kicking around the idea of creating a custom CM partner wherein I can add written dialogue, as well as use existing game sound files that fire at appropriate moments. The type of character I have in mind would have a fair amount of voiced, vanilla dialogue at her disposal, so theoretically I'd be able to create a companion with a reasonable amount of personality. In short, I'd like to create something similar to what has been done with the Skyrim follower, Valfar...

This is what Valfar's creator, Omesean, writes:

And when I say that his voice is custom, I say that I treated it the same as I do with all my armour mods: I mix and match parts of the vanilla game and put them together in a whole new package. This is clearly evident on his armour, but his voice is a good example of this as well. For Valfar I wanted a very special voice that fully reflects his personality. And rather than scouring the internet for a voice actor like that, I found one already part of the vanilla game. We all know Ulfric's right hand, Galmar Stone-Fist. I extracted his dialogue and mixed it into the CK under whole new conditions and functions - in fact, the only thing that causes his voice to not be 100% custom is that I didn't act them myself. Everything has been added manually - over two hundred lines of dialogue, most of which are used during idle chatter to add a bit of life to an otherwise dull and average follower.

So far, I've read the instructions that come with CM Partners, watched a couple of YouTube videos, and I've hunted around Google, but I haven't found anything that provides directions on how to add written dialogue to CM Partners, nor on how to edit and add vanilla sound files. (or, maybe I'm just blind, and I'm missing something obvious? )

Can somebody recommend a clear tutorial on this, or help me out directly? :smile: It doesn't even *need* to be a CM Partners companion, I just figured that might be easier, given my complete lack of modding experience; I'm open to suggestions, though.

To reiterate, while I've become reasonably adept at using the various tools available that make Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim run well, and I've added mods to my games for years... this would be new territory for me, so uhm... hopefully something that is at least somewhat idiot-proof. :D

EDIT
Clearly I need more coffee.. *sigh*
It would appear that much of the information I'm looking for is actually available here. It would seem I wasn't using the correct search terms... *sighs again*
That said, I'd be grateful if anyone has any general tips or suggestions in addition to the Construction Set wiki. :)

Edited by Sonja

Not so much "in addition to the CS Wiki" as "to complete the CS Wiki in it's current form" ... Official CS Wiki Backup. Pretty well all the images included with CS Wiki tutorials are mis-linked in the current version of the wiki, but can be found in the backup. Be warned, there is a lot of stuff not related to the wiki that got bundled up in the archive, so some assembly is required (batteries not included and all that).