A mod that allows me to play a good character

Galadrew

A very simple "good guy" option would be to get to take all these grand Daedric artifacts and give them to the Vigilant of Stendarr! Go to their headquarters, give the leader the artifact and the leader performs some bizarre ritual that destroys the item. Naturally, as a Daedric artifact, it merely breaks down and returns to the lord's home plane, or something. So the artifact will return to Tamriel in a century or two... oh, you can't actually do this, it's just a suggested addition to that mod idea.

I agree with the rest and endorse this idea. No need for it to be all rosey, namby-pamby, pacifistic flower-power kind of good. Just an honourable alternative.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally play characters that are morally amoral... I guess "Neutral" would be the best description. They look out for themselves, take what they need, slay enemies but would hesitate to kill or rob innocents. But Skyrim makes it nearly impossible to play this kind of character, let alone a noble, very good character. If you deliberately avoid quests where you have to make poor moral choices, you lose experiencing a large portion of the game. What's more, you are often rewarded for being evil and there are almost no repercussions for your actions.

I originally started playing as a character who, though not good, wanted to uphold certain moral values. But the game outright encourages you to steal, bribe, trick, and kill the innocent. Another problem I encounter is when I "justify" killing someone (they're evil, part of a cult, etc) and then loot their house, the items are often still considered stolen. So I need a fence. So I better go join the Thieves Guild.

It's a slippery slope, especially because you aren't even given the choice of whether to accept a quest. If you don't do a quest, you just miss out and most of the time you gain nothing by denying it. So yes, I totally agree, Skyrim not only is designed to force you to be amoral, but downright evil. I didn't really want to kill the old woman either, I mean she can be as evil as hell but she wasn't a witch or daedra... she was a nasty old woman. You can't scare her off, or make her change her ways, or anything. So you kill her. So much for freedom of choice?

In short, It's a good idea, but I have no idea how someone could even begin to implement it.

Just saying, it's not always possible to be the good guy. Even when you are trying to do good, there are often instances where your only options are to find the lesser of two evils.

On the other hand, I agree that Skyrim has much more content suited for evil characters than for good characters. I enjoy playing as an evil character, so I'm not complaining, but I can see why "good guys" have issues with this.

I think the reason Skyrim has much more morally ambiguous choices is its setting. Skyrim is a land of survival, where heroes are rare and survivors must do whatever it takes to survive. A lot of the choices you view as evil, the characters in Skyrim would simply view as survival, the necessary evil for their continued existence.

I think the reason Skyrim has much more morally ambiguous choices is its setting. Skyrim is a land of survival, where heroes are rare and survivors must do whatever it takes to survive. A lot of the choices you view as evil, the characters in Skyrim would simply view as survival, the necessary evil for their continued existence.

Except "Skyrim" didn't get to write its own quests. A human being wrote them, and they didn't HAVE to force you to play an evil character. There would have been no uproar had they given us a choice on this. In fact, they would have made a lot more people happy.

It's really very simple. Why am I forced to kill Grelod in order to be able to play the Dark Brotherhood quest line? It has nothing to do with the "harshness" of life in Skyrim. Someone simply wrote the quest that way and gave us no other choice. You don't need to make up artificial reasons about how this came about.

Edited by Galadrew

Agreed......

This game to me is as shallow as a light shower on a hot summers day {OK maybe a little to harsh}.....How about ...described as if it were a car that's for sale: FOR SALE one old bomb still runs, many new parts needed and lots of TLC, drive away {may need tow truck on odd occasion}...price NOT negotiable.ph 7448269..NO tyre kickers.

@Mercami

Also it would be fantastic if anyone has ideas as to what Bob's secret is. I have a few ideas rolling around but I'll welcome other options!

What you've written so far is good and how you've kept the good/evil choice open....Good construction thought :thumbsup:

As for "Bob" it would seem he's probably an ex DB member &/or had connections with the TG...maybe been a similar type as Delvin.....but i'm not a creative writer by any means.

However i want to draw your attention to this: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/498321-kill-brynjolf/

Post # 16.......As it may be of some interest to you regarding "Bob's" secret...maybe he has something to do with eliminating TG.......As far as i can tell i know nothing more about the "white X"....perhaps you can enlighten....but just as the last post suggests it could be an opening for a mod... and perhaps a way to link Bob somehow...or perhaps useful for a follow up for the "good" path.

Hope it helps in some way. GL tc.

Being Malkavian...the whispers are telling me that Bob is some type of a high priest and therefore knows how to utilize the sealed spell book and "turn" it so that it summon's a "good" type of spirit guardian instead of a spectral assasin......

Edited by jmalkavian

I like your ideas but I do think I should avoid messing too much with the thieves guild. It would likely be better to have another mod made that deals with them so that people aren't forced to choose between this destroy the DB mod, and another Thieves Guild mod that they like more.

Though I would really like to work on a Thieves Guild mod also! I think someone else will beat me to it though.

Most of the time I play a character who starts out with a questionable past, you start out a prisoner after all and even if she was innocent of the crime that landed her there she ended up spending time with shady characters while on the run and picked up some of their skills. So right off the bat she's got a habit of picking up things that don't belong to her. So I join the Thieves guild. As she progresses through the main story line she discovers her potential or whatever and becomes more heroic.

The Thieves guild in Skyrim is just lacking when compared to Morrowind and Oblivion. I haven't finished all of the quests yet so I might not be onto the whole story. I just got to the part where you get stabbed in the back so to speak. I miss the honor the old thieves guild had and wish we had an option to help Riften and topple Maven Black-Briar, and restore the guild to it's former glory.

I'd love to work on a mod like that too but I'm trying not to get in over my head to the point where I'd end up never finishing the mod. So while I understand how you feel about the Thieves guild, for now I need to stick with the DB. Though if you find someone else working on a mod like that I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can.

4) Silver Hand is a group of people who fights Vampires, werewolfs and other monsters. They're shown as bandits..... I'm my opinion the Silver Hand should be a legit group, and once you find out the Companions Circle is filled with Werewolfs you could choose whether or not to become a monster.

My suggestion of options:

"Yes, turn me into a werewolf. " (you continue on the companions)

"I despise this!" (You turn against the companions, later become a member of the Silverhand, at the end of the quest Yorvaskar becomes a "Silver Hand" base)

Why not?

The game FORCES you to become wherewolf if you want to continue the "Warriors' quest line"....

sorry but why is being a werewolf bad exactly? the Silver Hand are cirtanly not good guys, werewolfs are not monsters they're people and the silver hand are skinning them and mounting there heads on the wall.