A mod that allows me to play a good character

Galadrew

Skyrim is better than most RPGs because of the way it is. Normal people living in unmagical, 21st century lives must do bad things for good reasons, it only makes since that a hardass dude trying to save the world from dragons in a gritty world filled with horrible things like necromancy would have to make some of the same decisions.

So for that reason, I like that my good guy greg is forced into situations in order to reach his ultimate goal of saving everyone's life. It feels much more believable than kissing babies, knock=out punching lowlifes that steal purses, and having flowers spring up out of my footprints at every turn.

I know this doesn't have to do with modding, but the topic of grey area morality in skyrim spurred me to share why I think skyrim is awesome.

Edited by elseagoat

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the evil route is severely limited and has more restrictions than the goody-two-shoes route.

My biggest complaint is needing to be nice to quest NPC 99% of the time, and when you have a big bounty, they all turn hostile and you can't make anymore progress, and most of them are unkillable so we can't even search their corpses if they have an item we need to continue the quests, and pickpocketing is hard when they're all hostile.

There should be a mod that lets evil players continue quests even when the quest NPCs become enemies, so we can subdue the unklillable ones, then torture the information out of them.

The way it is now is very unsatisfying: your bounty is high, you come to a village needing to find an NPC who's the next stage of a quest, the guards atatck you, the villagers join in, you slaughter them, you find the quest NPC, but they're hostile and unkillable, the quest comes to a crashing halt because you're evil enough to murder the whole village, but apparently you wouldn't dream of hurting someone who has some information you want.

I think the game is designed in such a way that you can either engage in genocide in the towns OR do the quests. I don't think it was meant that you'd be able to do both.

That was my point about it being limited: even if you don't go the whole way of riding into a town as a slaughtering warlord, the game still doesn't leave any openings for a bandit/outlaw to terrorize a district and still make progress with quests by intimidating and kidnapping NPCs instead of being nice to them.

I would absolutely love to have a mod that let us knock out NPCs (maybe if the final killing blow is with fists and not weapons?) and make the popup window ask us if we wanted to search them like it does for normal dead bodies, or to kidnap them, and bring them back to our hideout/lair.

A knockout ability would also be useful for taking care of guards to sneak into places or to get rid of pursuers if you didn't want your bounty to get too high by killing them.

First - sorry for my English :)

I agree with this idea. I simply can't play as murder or thief. I can't cooperate with most of Dedra - my avatar remember history of this world, and hate Dedra (except very few like Azura).

I don't understand why Bethesda don't give option for players which like play with honourable and good avatar.

Part of this change will be rather simple, and I hope somebody do it.

1/ The simplest will be for Companions: after player don't agree to be werewolf, some times after this Silver Hand make their attack and the story going as is. Of course player no need cure - but can help other. I think that this change need only cut some of dialogues, accept quest “the Silver Hand” with or without this stupid attack of Gallows Rock , and delete werewolf possibility of avatar.

2/ Innocente Loss - only adding option of persuasion or prison Grelod the Kind

3/ Player is many times attacked by the BH. Murders have letters signed by Astrid. It's a good point to start quest - who is Astrid? We can ask any of guard, he give us information about Maro. Only change commander Maro question - he will inform us about place where somebody from BH probably will be. And I find Astrid with 3 captives and Destroy the Dark Brotherhood! quest will start as is. (maybe with little change her dialogue – I'm not play this quest)

Next problem – player have not possibility to say NO. I don't want help Jaree-Ra or other bandits and thief’s – but I can't say No. I have open this quest in diary, he ask to me with proposition any time I was in Solitude street... If player say No that will be cut quest, contact and proposition.

Next... I'm a thane of Whiterun, I'm a famous dragon killer, but I still hear from guard in my town "Now I remember - you're that new member of the Companions. So you what - fetch the mead?" or "Hands to yourself, sneak thief." First time maybe it's fun, next time my avatar want take this guard to prison or give him personal lesson....

Next....

Edited by KeroPL

I agree completely: this game desperately needs an overhaul, morality-wise. I'm only at level 8 and haven't finished the main quest or anything, but Skyrim has disturbed me already, and more than once. Can someone at least make a combat mod that allows you to spare an enemy's life when they beg for mercy, and have them run off or even become a companion rather than immediately attack you again? I understand there are some enemies that would obviously fight to the death (undead, quest enemies, etc.), but you should be able to spare the average Skyrimite with whom you unintenionally get in a fight.

I don't necessarily need a whole new guild (though a joinable Paladin's Guild or priesthood would be sweet!) Just some basic stuff like that would be great. I want to play a character who can be merciful, who can forgive, who can take the moral high road once in a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Skyrim is better than most RPGs because of the way it is. Normal people living in unmagical, 21st century lives must do bad things for good reasons, it only makes since that a hardass dude trying to save the world from dragons in a gritty world filled with horrible things like necromancy would have to make some of the same decisions.

Except killing old ladies in orphanages doesn't help the Dragonborn rid the world of dragons. Ergo, what you stated is a non-sequitur.

1) You MUST enter the Thieves Guild to be able to do the main quest, which involves framing an innocent sales man into jail. I didn't want to do that!

You dont have to join the thieves guild for the main quest....just enter the ratway. but i do agree that while skyrim was enjoyable the first few playthroughs, having no real option in what you can do gets quite boring

Can someone at least make a combat mod that allows you to spare an enemy's life when they beg for mercy, and have them run off or even become a companion rather than immediately attack you again? I understand there are some enemies that would obviously fight to the death (undead, quest enemies, etc.), but you should be able to spare the average Skyrimite with whom you unintenionally get in a fight.

I saw this today. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it looks interesting.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14549

I also wanted to confirm that you can skip Brynjolf during the main quest. Talk to Keerava in the Bee & Barb instead.

And since it seems relevant to the topic, I might as well mention my own mod, which will let you avoid talking to Brynjolf completely if you wish: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14157

• 7 months later...

Sucrilhus posts...

<<Here's some things that honestly pisses me off...

1) You MUST enter the Thieves Guild to be able to do the main quest, which involves framing an innocent sales man into jail. I didn't want to do that!

2) When the opponent is weak and says "Mercy!", it doesn't matter, you can't let him live, because as soon as he gets up again he WILL attack you.>>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1] You do not have to join the Thieve's Guild to do the main quest at all. The only reason in the main quest to even talk to the TG is to find out where Esbern is and you can get that info from several places, including barkeeps, and then go find him yourself without any problem.

2] Also not true. You can let them get back up and when they attack you, you beat them down again and hopefully kill them this time with more damage than they have health and still maintain a good alignment. When they surrender, it is because they are at very low health and when they get back up, only a small amount of regeneration has happened. You should be able to easily beat them with a single hit.

[((Let me apologize in advance for the format of my post, as the multi-quote and spoiler button features are not working for me right now.))

Galadrew writes...

<<Except "Skyrim" didn't get to write its own quests. A human being wrote them, and they didn't HAVE to force you to play an evil character. There would have been no uproar had they given us a choice on this. In fact, they would have made a lot more people happy.>>

The devs didn't force anyone to play an evil character. No matter what you do, no one can experience the entire game's full content, no matter what. Take the Dark Brotherhood for example. Your choices are never do anything with them, join them, or destroy them. If you choose to join them, you don't experience the destruction of the DB content. If you destroy them, you don't get to experience the DB quest line. If you do nothing with them, you experience neither. It's an either/or situation involving some content. I play one bad character, one good character, and one neutral character and I can experience all the game's content when I combine the experiences. But the devs aren't forcing you to play a certain way.

<<It's really very simple. Why am I forced to kill Grelod in order to be able to play the Dark Brotherhood quest line? It has nothing to do with the "harshness" of life in Skyrim. Someone simply wrote the quest that way and gave us no other choice. You don't need to make up artificial reasons about how this came about. >>

Why would you play a *good* character that wants to do the DB quest lines? The entire quest line involves cold-blooded murder. Let's say, for example, Skyrim gave you the option to not kill Grelod and you could still do the DB quest line? You wont kill Grelod, but you'll kill the other dozen innocent people they force you to kill to do the DB quest line? That makes no sense. If it is to be able to start the Destroy the DB quest line.. how does your character even know about the DB or their activities if they haven't ever had any experiences with the DB or its handiwork?

jmalkavian writes...

<<Is Hircine Evil? or Good? & doesn't Hircine take souls - thus preventing them to go to Sovngard?>>

So does anyone that uses a soul gem. If we use that reasoning, then every mage that uses a soul gem is inherently evil and deserving of death on sight, as werewolves and vampires are treated.

alienraven writes...

<<Hircine is'nt good or evil really, hes chaotic neutral as are quite a few of the deadra (namely Malacath, Sanguine, Sheogoth, Nocturnal, Clavicus vile, Azura and auguably Hermaeus Mora ) yes HIrcine takes souls but he doe'snt take them to hell he takes them to his hunting ground where they get to hunt alongside him forever. >>

POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW (Not taking any chances. :) )

This is correct. Also, there is nothing that says Hircine takes their souls when they die. Kodlac mentions this as a possibility that he fears *may* happen. He wants a cure because he is afraid that he may not get to go to Sovngard. It is never actually established that that is what will actually happen for sure.

shadowkazama writes...

<<Second: From an RPG stand point, you don't even know Astrid even exists.>>

If you do play a good character and fight the good fight, sooner or later, the DB will send assassins to kill you and the notes will be signed by Astrid. So you do learn her name, but nothing else. And I am playing a moral character right now and I am very frustrated (in character) that I can't learn who this Astrid woman is that is trying to have me killed. But if I had a *real* choice about this, I'd much rather track down and confront the person who hired the DB over finding Astrid herself. *That* would be much more satisfying to me.

In the end, I would love to have the *more choices* fantasy here, but with as bugged and glitchy as Skyrim already is and the massive size of the game itself already.. I shudder to imagine if Bethesda did answer all these requests and choices. To have multiple alternaites to pretty much every single choice you are faced with would make the game 100x bigger and more programming, glitches, bugs, errors, etc. They can't plan for every single contingency and still produce a game that will make any type of profit. Personal modification of the game to suit every player-niche is what modding is for. The devs really can't be blamed for this kind of thing.

I agree. The Dragonborne is supposed to be a saviour right?

No, the Dragonborn is supposed to be what you want them to be, that's the whole point of a TES game; your character is special in that they have a destiny, a singular act they will perform or an inherent quality they have for which they will become renowned, but beyond that the game says nothing. This is actually spelled out plainly for you by the Greybeards if you listen to their dialogue; those who are Dragonborn have a purpose, but what is another matter.

And while more options is always nice, I'll take a game with a realistic, cutthroat ethical system over a black-and-white "kill them or have tea and crumpets in a sunlit wooded meadow and compliment their lovely hair" world any day of the week. You're complaining that a "goodie" character has to rationalise their actions in Skyrim in ways which make you uncomfortable, but that's the whole point; to put the player in a world where you do sometimes have to choose between adhering to your ethical beliefs and achieving your goals. Watering that experience down to let you play the "goodie" all the time takes all of the impact out of it.

Ironically, providing I adopt an appropriately "Viking" attitude, I've always found playing "good" characters much more satisfying than "evil" ones, because as usual in RPGs "evil" amounts to murderous thuggery or pointless psychopathy; where's the manipulation? The intrigue? The twisting of other people to serve your own whims and desires? The convoluted plans to take over the city/country/world? No mate, "good" players have it great in Skyrim, you can just avoid or refuse anything that doesn't fit your playstyle, and make individual exceptions to that if you choose, and you'll still have a full -if slightly truncated- experience; "evil" players get to go psycho or go home.