• 3/10
    • 4/10
    • 5/10
    • 6/10
    • 7/10
    • 8/10
    • 9/10
    • 10/10

The game is great fun, but it doesn't deserve anything but a 7. With all the technical issues in the engine, the UI degradations, the thousands of quest bugs, the idiosyncrasies in the role-playing aspects... 7. Anything more is just newb infatuation or wishful thinking.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, without the gamer reviews, I'd might never had played a TES game. This was my first, thanks to the hype.

I think this may be one of the big variables that dictates which way people vote in this poll. Longtime TES gamers will remember how Morrowind essentially took all the best parts of Daggerfall, improved pretty much every mechanic, and revolutionized the concept of "sandbox gaming". Skyrim, by contrast, has streamlined most of the features that made its predecessors great, and plays more like GTA than Daggerfall. Many of us see this as a sign that the genre is in decline, rather than taking off.

Well said. I mean I can't even dream a RPG without attributes? What's my strength? My resistances? It's like action hack and slash; although even those games have attributes

But still love it!

The game is great fun, but it doesn't deserve anything but a 7. With all the technical issues in the engine, the UI degradations, the thousands of quest bugs, the idiosyncrasies in the role-playing aspects... 7. Anything more is just newb infatuation or wishful thinking.

Agreed with that. But thousands of quest bugs? Aren't you exaggerating a little bit?

I give Skyrim a 9/10 because it's most of what I could of hoped for. It gets so much right. But then one major problem comes to mind: The emptiness. The people, the places, the scenery: empty, empty, empty.

The strengths are many though. Everything from the beauty of the cities to the dragons are (-and I know this word gets used a lot but I think it applies to TES-) EPIC. With mods this game will be a ten. But bethesda won't get points for other people's work. Vanilla-wise it's a nine. Overhyped? Not in my opinion.

Edited by JesterKing

I love the game. That said I gave it 6/10. Anyone that gave it 10/10 is absolutely guaranteeing future games will be buggy pieces of shite. Just 10 years ago people would have been outraged with any game this buggy. Really goes to show how years of conditioning has worked to the developers advantage. If it weren't for sites like Nexus and modders this game would be in my trash barrel. In it's vanilla state it's unforgiveable, with the help of modders it's exceptional.

I have 494 hours going...I can't say there is really anything wrong with the game. I give it a perfect 10.

500 hours? That's like 6 hours every day since it came out? And you're proud of that?

With mods this game will be a ten. But bethesda won't get points for other people's work. Vanilla-wise it's a nine...

To be fair, Bethesda developed the game with modders in mind. Certainly they put a lot more effort into this then most other developers.

Skyrim is designed to be just as much a platform for future improvement as it is a complete single-shot game. Perhaps even more so.

So yeah, for me Bethesda DO get at least some credit for the mods (or at least, for the final score you would award the modded game) because they put in the effort to develop the mod community itself.

Even the much-maligned Steam integration that is holding up the CK release is an attempt to grow the modding community and make it more easily accessible. Of course, they've totally dropped the ball on that play but it is understandable.

Edited by metasyntactic

Having played pretty much every (western) RPG produced for the PC since Zork, I can confidently say that this is one of the 5 best RPGs I've ever played. I did hop in the boat only at patch 1.3, but I still feel the immersion of this game justifies the hype. I may be a bit biased because Norse stuff tends to strike a chord with me, while I absolutely hate the oriental stuff other people seem to love.

Even if the graphics out of the box were not absolutely top notch, that's not something that really bothers me about RPGs. What does matter is how the ART looks. If the style fits the environment, the story and my idea of what the world really is. IMHO, Skyrim hits pretty much all the nails right in the head.

This is not to say that I don't have any problems with the game, some things bother me, but those things pretty much get submerged when I think about the game...the good points are much more outstanding that the flaws, and it does something that only the best games ever do, namely it makes me want to talk about it continuously with my friends.

As always, YMMV.