Companions won't follow into interior cells

JamesAutumn

Well, I've been playing around with place everywhere. There could be an issue with the script extender. It is the only mod I use it for and when not active it seems like the problem has fixed itself for now. The first poster on this topic doesn't seem to use place everywhere though so I doubt it is that mod. Never had an issue with it before... May be narrowing it down but this is still not it and is no guarantee the problem won't come back...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've been playing around with place everywhere. There could be an issue with the script extender. It is the only mod I use it for and when not active it seems like the problem has fixed itself for now. The first poster on this topic doesn't seem to use place everywhere though so I doubt it is that mod. Never had an issue with it before... May be narrowing it down but this is still not it and is no guarantee the problem won't come back...

I do use Place Everywhere. Not sure if it showed up in the load order or not. But that might be a good indicator of a mod that could cause a conflict.

I've been playing on a save now for about 5-6 hours game time and no issues with over 4 followers going everywhere i do. I mentioned in a earlier post that a mod called One Minutemen Quest at a Time was an issue for me and once i removed it, went back to a previous save, and engaged preston to be a follower and eventually got piper nick and dogmeat and curie all following me with no issues.

So please keep posting issues and solutions since this is something uncommon enough for the Unofficial patch team and the beth mods themselves deem a low priority to bring attention too. Hopefully our posts can get some awareness on this unique issue to maybe get a talented person out there to see if it's our mods or beth code and maybe be able to offer us a permanent fix. :)

I can now confirm 20 hours of game time without the bug. Since the script extender doesn't technically modify in game cells I don't think it was that. Place everywhere, as I said, I never had a problem with before but it certainly could contribute. I'm going to experiment by reactivating it and see what happens. I have a theory that large scale selection and placement of multiple connected items may have caused this for me. I like to move buildings around sometimes. It is unlikely I'll get to this immediately but I will test this and report back if I can recreate the problem that way.

Confirmed. Moving large structures or multiple connected items will cause this issue with place everywhere in my mod list. Took my sanctuary bar and levitated it about 10 feet off the ground, that did it. Went back to a previous save and placed individual concrete blocks in the air. No problem. Will have to test the extent of this issue by moving things to places they should not snap across different home building mods. I feel this is not isolated to just place everywhere. I'm not sure if anyone else was moving buildings in their games or not, but I would suggest not doing that. If anyone else can confirm this will occur for them as well then it might be worth reporting the mod maker.

Edited by SamualBlackstaff

This might be a breakthrough! I'll have to backup my current saves and test this! I can't believe you narrowed your issue down so well!

Please, let me know. There were items from at least four mods in the building I moved so it will take a while to narrow it down even more. I should try it with a vanilla structure and see if it happens.

I can confirm building items from settlement objects expanded and moving them outside the build area with place everywhere active also caused the bug to occur. I am more convinced that is the issue for me at the very least.

Edited by SamualBlackstaff

• 4 weeks later...
Will be revisiting this issue. The above post that talked about place everywhere may be something I need to look into. I might have moved a structure in a earlier save and set off my game severely. Hopefully I don't have to start a new game but salvage my current one

CONFIRMED: Place Everywhere is the culprit of my companions not following into interior cells! With much testing and disabling it and doing massive builds i had no trouble with companions following.

As much as i love the mod i'm gonna have to let it slip away as they probly don't even know the issue.

After using this line of code Place Everywhere is now usuable with multiple companions in tow. The author of the mod hasn't fixed this but it's a Timescale issue.

After posting on that mods comment section someone provided the following solution that you have to manually enter yourself.

Go to Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins, open up place.ini

under main, make sure you have this line

autoTimescaleDisabled = on (note there is no semicolon!)

and either never hit F11 in workshop mode, or change

;buildTimescale = 0.01
to
buildTimescale = 10 (note the semicolon in this line is removed!)

This is the only function in this mod that can possibly cause what you are describing. I DO have experience with the coding side of mods, I've worked on some big ones and I've been a rabid mod user for many years.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, i had this issue a while back and have pin pointed the issue actually. For me, it happened even in new games consistantly after i built up a settlement. now it isnt consistent i dont know what causes it when settlement building so i save before i build but 50% of the time following bilding stuff followers wont follow me into a interior. I think it has something to do with breaking the follower script. followers stop following you by default and wait for you while you build. i cannot pin point a mod my mod list is smaller, but i have 3 mods overlaping with you guys. everyones best friend and homemaker and place everywhere... i dont know that its either of these but hell it could be.

SO for a fix for myself. every time i go to build i save just before hand. then when i finish building i test my follower and if they dont follow me i try agian. this somtimes make me have to build in small series.

Edit: i just saw its place everywhere!!! this is amazing and makes sense given that i found that it happens when you build things.

Edited by EdmondNoir