Good characters?

Lehcar

Does it seem to anyone else that Skyrim has a lot more options for "good" characters than Oblivion did? That's kind of how I feel.

Oblivion didn't really have anything for lawful good type characters. There was the Blades, but the faction itself didn't provide any story or quests of its own, and you could only join it if you actually bothered to play the main quest (which I didn't, lol). Most of the other joinable factions were very neutral in terms of morality; the Fighter's Guild were a lot like simple mercenaries who got hired to do jobs requiring muscle (lawful neutral); the Mages' Guild seemed to have a pretty free spirit that wasn't intrinsically evil or good (true neutral); and the Thieves' Guild was sort of like a gang of Robin Hood type of thieves, but they sort of fell into chaotic neutral territory. And of course our beloved Dark Brotherhood was pretty obviously a chaotic evil faction.

Hence why all of my characters in Oblivion ended up being chaotically evil, or anti-heroes.

Mind you, evil is cool and I like being evil in TES land, but I think Skyrim provides much better ways to play a really good kind of character (the Legion/Stormcloaks, the Companions sort of, the main quest...). It's just something different for a change. But once I get bored of being good (like I did in Oblivion), I'm going to go back to being evil again.

Also, has anyone yet tried playing as a vampire in this game? Can you tell me what it's like, is it worthwhile? :unsure:

Edited by Lehcar

Also, has anyone yet tried playing as a vampire in this game? Can you tell me what it's like, is it worthwhile? :unsure:

No. Unless your a stealth type character or someone who really loves illusion magic its worthless.

As soon as the CK comes out Im gonna do something about that...

I thought the Brotherhood is more of a neutral evil, really. Since chaotic evil is kind of.. chaotic. People like bandits and pirates (Not Jack Sparrow the Wimpus Machine) are chaotic evil. The Brotherhood is definitely evil, and they're selfish. But they aren't chaotic. They're very orderly and have had a strict code of conduct with your Brothers and Sisters. They're actually pretty close to being lawful evil, but killing is breaking a pretty big law, therefore I feel neutral evil is the best choice for the Dark Brotherhood.

I kind of made a paragraph out of three or four words, and I didn't really contribute to the topic.. but, well, there you go.

A lot of the guild quests and such do seem more geared toward good characters, with the exception of the Dark Brotherhood (although they give you the option of destroying that). But the Daedric quests this time around a really where the morally questionable shine. Molag Bal, Namira, Boethiah and Vaermina (depending on choice) are particularly dark, and Azura's can be too if you opt for the Black Star.

I guess "good character" is a relative phrase. (I mean "relative" in the strict sense in that there is a gradient but not in the lose sense of all qualitatively being equal)

I've tried RP a good character and can't really do it in this game. Saying hello gets you killed way too often, or least puts you in a compromised position and into more difficult combat. This game rewards those who plan attacks, which means killing first, asking questions later (reading journals).

Poor reflection on me, personally, but I also love using a bow. That often means sneaking and killing in cold blood.

Mind you, evil is cool and I like being evil in TES land, but I think Skyrim provides much better ways to play a really good kind of character (the Legion/Stormcloaks, the Companions sort of, the main quest...). It's just something different for a change. But once I get bored of being good (like I did in Oblivion), I'm going to go back to being evil again.

Legion/Stormcloacs isnt good or evil. Its just a different angle. Also Companions arent really "good" or "evil". They are mercenarys after all and they do for what they get paid. There arent many factions out there, that i woud count as "good". Probaly only the priests of the nine (k, eigth), like the Stendarr guys. But thats it.

The lack of dialogue options in particular irks me no end. there really should be a lot more options to talk out conflicts. as it stands 90% of random encounters are hostile. Even just a demand for money or for you to leave, likewise one would like to see small groups of bandits fleeing or backing away from high level characters. It seems that a sensible highwayman might choose a better target than the mounted knight dressed in the bones of slain dragons wielding a daemonic sword of fire. Likewise it would have been wonderful if surrendering foes actually surrendered rather than put their hands over their heads for 5 seconds then stab you in the back. I hate that you are forced to kill rather than accept surrender.

Legion/Stormcloacs isnt good or evil. Its just a different angle. Also Companions arent really "good" or "evil". They are mercenarys after all and they do for what they get paid. There arent many factions out there, that i woud count as "good". Probaly only the priests of the nine (k, eigth), like the Stendarr guys. But thats it.

Even the Vigilant aren't completely good...they're Zealots...the fight for good don't get me wrong...but I can definitely see somewhere along the line there have been cock ups...

Indeed...Bad guys to us, never see themselves as bad guys...hell, when I was playing some of the brotherhood quests I actually felt like I was doing the world a favour sometimes...truly...

when I killed the emperor I knew it had to be done...why?

Because the Empire needs a new one to step in line so they can get a new perspective on how to stop the Thalmor...

my opinion anyway...

Edited by Scorch621