Creation Kit Preview

TheReverendTholomewPlague

Did anyone cover or wonder if, when using the mod kit, can you elect to not use STEAMy pile as a launch platform? It may well be integrated into STEAMy pile like corn and peanuts. Edited by Brandy_123

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way to write shaders for the game so no i guess. Unless some one is up to the task of decompiling skyrim shaders, coding SSAO in assembly then find a way to repackage it in something that Skyrim can use : /

Besides that physics in skyrim are crap. The underlying tech behind in Skyrim is pretty crappy, that was what 747823 complained bout. And that sort of coding is out of reach for modders, or for anyone who doesnt has the source code, the third party libraries, etc.

Skyboost and TESVAL did something along those lines but that kind of optimizations are sort of like this: I give you a guide of 10 steps to make a cup of tea, but you, since you're a knowledgeable person, know a way to make the same tea in say, 6 steps. So you rewrite the guide for those 6 steps.

The purpose of the guide is the same, to make tea, you didnt change that, you just made it to be simpler and easier. Thats why Skyboost and TESVAL did, they didnt re purposed the code, just made it simpler.

Making new code that way is extremely hard, and no one goes that deep for software development exept for some special cases, PC software development for the most part isnt one of those cases, unless you're into scientific high performance coding, driver coding, or coding for OS low level features.

If modders had a way to code shaders for Skyrim, you'd be seeing crazy stuff like SSAO, volumetric light, etc. I think that STALKER's engine compiled shaders on demand so the shaders were in an understandable form by default, so some guys appeared (jjwalker, sky4ce) and made new shaders for the gmae. jjwalker perfected the lighting a lil bit and sky4ce added a bunch of stuff (god rays for example).

They managed to put god rays in Oblvion so i see why not, especially the Oblivion graphics extender wich i have never , ever figured it out.

See the link, it was a amazing brake through with the Oblivion engine.

http://tes.nexusmods...le.php?id=30054

I also remember back when i had Xp, if you wanted Crysis dx 10 like features there was a mod for it that enabled them through dx9, its not about the dx version its about fps.

Edited by Thor.

And the key bits of information you want to know is...

"The Skyrim Creation Kit will be a free download via Steam under Tools, Bethesda add."

I *know* some of y'all are clicking on that toolbar repeatedly all day...so when you find out the Creation Kit is available to download, send me a PM so I can update the CK Release Info thread so everyone subscribing to it can get an email notification. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

LHammonds

What? How did you know! :whistling:

Steam is kind of like commercials. Nobody likes commercials, but commercials provide money for the station. therefore the television industry has decided for you that you shall get commercials no matter how you feel about them while watching tv.

I miss the days where companies would get a loan, make an awesome game, then make money off of selling the boxed game. Now many people just steal the game. The companies can't make the money, so in comes Steam/Valve to save the day.

We created the monster.

YOU created the monster.

They managed to put god rays in Oblvion so i see why not, especially the Oblivion graphics extender wich i have never , ever figured it out.
Performance its pretty bad on those injectors. I was talking bout useable stuff. SSAO shouldnt require a GTX580 to work properly, specially since other games like Risen had pretty nice lighting without dropping to 20 fps all the time.

I also remember back when i had Xp, if you wanted Crysis dx 10 like features there was a mod for it that enabled them through dx9, its not about the dx version its about fps.
Never mentioned the DX issue. Besides, it really depends on how you write the shader. If you code it for PS_5_0, it will expect PS_5_0 and will fail if the OS doesnt delivers. Crysis was coded in a way that used PS3.0 for a big part of the shaders so it didnt have many issues (besides some transparencies in leaves).

That said, using compute shaders of DX11 did made STALKER's Call of Prypiat SSAO run better, 30 fps in DX10, 35 fps in DX11 with higher quality settings from one bench that i read a while ago. Very nice stuff.

Steam is kind of like commercials. Nobody likes commercials, but commercials provide money for the station. therefore the television industry has decided for you that you shall get commercials no matter how you feel about them while watching tv.

I miss the days where companies would get a loan, make an awesome game, then make money off of selling the boxed game. Now many people just steal the game. The companies can't make the money, so in comes Steam/Valve to save the day.

We created the monster.

YOU created the monster.

I buy my games, and please be smart enough to understand when people are speaking in generalities, and that it may not apply to you. Piracy caused PC gaming to become what it is. Steam is the result of a crappy PC game market.

Why do people insist on disagreeing just for the sake of conversation?