Will Steam Workshop split the modding community?

LostLEGION

Isn't EA already doing that? :|

Well, maybe they are. As a rule, I don't buy anything from EA. I dislike the company and I dislike their DRM, so I haven't kept tabs on them. That's actually who I had in mind as prime suspect. Either them or Ubisoft, a company run by pure-blooded, Class-A, certified douchebags.

R.I.P.

Half kidding. But there is a difference this time around. Every PC version is with Steam already installed.

Well, not every version*, and that is going to be a growing problem here on the Nexus. Since the Steam Workshop will only be available to those with legitimate copies of the game, the Nexus will become a GoTo place for all those with pirated versions to get mods. I'm sure the moderators are already busy enough making pirates "walk the plank" every time a new game gets released, now they will get a new influx of pirates when great mods are released/updated. How long before moderators start to feel like giving up? How long before they start thinking about some sort of Steam verification before downloading mods? How long before game publishers decide to enact a Steam Workshop only criteria for mods?

*My comment should not be misconstrued as an admission of piracy. I don't have Skyrim, I have no plans to get Skyrim, I've accepted the fact that I will never play Skyrim. I'm just sitting on the sidelines watching to see what happens.

I have a feeling there is going to be little change from the existing Nexus community as it stands today. While some may take advantage of whatever convenience the Workshop integration offers, many others will keep doing what they know works best and post/support their mods through the Nexus/TESAlliance/etc. Some folks may try to dual-host their mods, though I can see that causing far more stress than any benefit it may provide. I don't think we will see very many existing modders jump ship in the near future, though we may see a few new faces pop up here and there among the Workshop mod options.

The Workshop has too many potential flaws that we are seeing fail to be addressed in any way before its launch - like the lack of support for folks who have no idea what they are doing, or someone ready to explain to new mod users why their mods are conflicting and their game won't run at all, etc. These are legitimate concerns, and until we see them addressed properly, I sincerely doubt we will see a massive number of modders jump over to flood the workshop with new content when they can do the same at the existing sites and know the community will be ready to step in and help resolve problems and explain to the newer folks why using X mod makes their Y mod not do anything.

The way I see it is that it will give mod authors a chance to get their mods out there to more people and that can never be a bad thing right?

On the other hand there will be mods available some places while not in others and that can be good or bad.

I'm pretty sure that Nexus will get all the more vast-scale mods. By that I mean overhauls and the such. The Workshop will probably see most of its use from new modders and veterans who like having their mods available on more than one server.

I just see it as another mod site. :whistling:

i dont think it will be a success, people will keep uploading to the nexus like they always have. Plus thats whats delaying the CK, and they will have a lot of control around the mods etc. Bottom line, Nexus isnt going anywhere, SW will likely fail.

i dont think it will be a success, people will keep uploading to the nexus like they always have. Plus thats whats delaying the CK, and they will have a lot of control around the mods etc. Bottom line, Nexus isnt going anywhere, SW will likely fail.

This is my belief also. Support Nexus, boycott SW.