1.4 RUINED my game

SubjectProphet

I'd say knock the resolution down a setting or two. Turn off AA, AF, and FXAA, and lower texture quality/view distances. If nothing works, your computer can't run the game.

Like I said, my computer is not great. I have a AMD Athlon II X220, 2gb ram, and a radeon hd 4550. With the res set at 1360x768 and AA/AF turned off, I run the game fine with textures set to high, and all view distances maxed (I do lower shadow quality).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I reinstalled Skyrim, it worked slightly. Boosted my performance to around 8-10 FPS. But still quite laggy.

Both computers have a different Graphic Card.

I meet the requirments on both computers. And those things like Skyboost only lag me more.

If someone can also help me find the specs to a computer, as I have literally never looked for that before, that would be a great help.

Click Start > type dxdiag look under system and display tab

Also to note, DO NOT TRUST the Skyrim launcher to set the game performance settings for you. Just as some users stated here, it might help a lot of you tone down all the graphics and work your way up to decent graphics and performance settings.

Edited by Silvaner

You said no mods -- however - did you do any of the nVidia tweaks perhaps? In it. it suggested to convert a file or 2 (not sure) to "Read Only". If anyone has done this -- remember - turning mods off and the like does not alter/update these. Something to look into.

Set my quality to low, turned shadows off, view distance and resolution is decreased.

Helped a bit more. Knocked the FPS up. It's good for now.

I'm just gonna hit bed. It's fine for now. I might work on it tomorrow.

The fanboyism is strong it's just sad...

@ SubjectProphet

For the easy route:

It has been reported deleting the skyrim.ini & skyrimperf.ini does wonders it's not the first time I heard about it... delete it first if problem still exist try the hard route... have a look at a thread here http://forums.nexusm...d-possible-fix/

Hard route: I'll assume you have some Computer knowledge if not let me know and I'll explain better.

Before we do anything assuming you have windows 7 do this.

Start- right click computer - properties - system protection - create on your local drive where windows is installed assuming that is C

Let's continue

Try this m8 delete skyrim from steam right click on skyrim name select properties - select tab local files - delete local game content.

Make sure in add remove that skyrim is deleted!

Do a search for "skyrim and delete anything skyrim if game related excluding mods of course.

Assuming you own windows 7 in start type "regedit" right click it and run as administrator. Note warning be very, very careful what you do here or you screw up your system!

You can export your registry at File - export - select export range "all" - type in name or as I'm old school go here

C:\Windows\System32\config make a copy of the folder I prefer the latter!

Back to regedit! Go to tab edit - find - type "skyrim" delete any records you can find. Warning be careful what you delete. Close regedit when done.

Download DriverSweeper_1.5.5 I believe it's the latest run it.

When done restart your PC

Update Net.framework & DirectX just in case from Microsoft. It may be irrelevant but we just want to cover all basis. You can get them at Microsoft download center.

Also now update your video & audio drivers.

Now install Skyrim again. Hopefully your problems is resolved hopefully, if not you did your best and it's not your end.

Good luck m8 if need of further assistance. Send me a tell and I'll respond here.

^^ That's an awful lot of stuff to go through when we all know it's his .ini's that are borked. I told him to delete those a few pages back.

Oh and, inb4 Alienware fanboy. This is why I build my own rigs, I know what's in it, how to fix it and what it can do.

I'm still waiting for that 1.4 patch, you guys are certainly ahead of me thats for sure still on 1.3. Although i see no issues with it, and super stable fps and no lag. Edited by Thor.

The fanboyism is strong it's just sad...

@ SubjectProphet

For the easy route:

It has been reported deleting the skyrim.ini & skyrimperf.ini does wonders it's not the first time I heard about it... delete it first if problem still exist try the hard route... have a look at a thread here http://forums.nexusm...d-possible-fix/

Hard route: I'll assume you have some Computer knowledge if not let me know and I'll explain better.

Before we do anything assuming you have windows 7 do this.

Start- right click computer - properties - system protection - create on your local drive where windows is installed assuming that is C

Let's continue

Try this m8 delete skyrim from steam right click on skyrim name select properties - select tab local files - delete local game content.

Make sure in add remove that skyrim is deleted!

Do a search for "skyrim and delete anything skyrim if game related excluding mods of course.

Assuming you own windows 7 in start type "regedit" right click it and run as administrator. Note warning be very, very careful what you do here or you screw up your system!

You can export your registry at File - export - select export range "all" - type in name or as I'm old school go here

C:\Windows\System32\config make a copy of the folder I prefer the latter!

Back to regedit! Go to tab edit - find - type "skyrim" delete any records you can find. Warning be careful what you delete. Close regedit when done.

Download DriverSweeper_1.5.5 I believe it's the latest run it.

When done restart your PC

Update Net.framework & DirectX just in case from Microsoft. It may be irrelevant but we just want to cover all basis. You can get them at Microsoft download center.

Also now update your video & audio drivers.

Now install Skyrim again. Hopefully your problems is resolved hopefully, if not you did your best and it's not your end.

Good luck m8 if need of further assistance. Send me a tell and I'll respond here.

Can't you just use CCleaner instead of manually wiping out the Skyrim registry files?