295.51 Beta Drivers + Official 1.4 Patch = EPIC AO

x2ruff4u

Guys just want you to know use the new Beta drivers that came out January 31st. Along with the new official 1.4 patch. Enable ambient occlusion and trust me you are missing out so many shadow details. :thumbsup:

http://makeagif.com/media/2-02-2012/PbRux6.gif

I know, but even so AO is killing on my mainstream machine :(

Maybe is time to get a more powerful graphics card :)

Edit: I tested it just now, with AO set to performance with my GTS 450 1920x1080 higher resolution textures and good quality shadows... and still getting around and above 30 FPS (only a slight mouse lag which I can try and eliminate). All this without ini teaks. PS: and all distance sliders at max.

I must say I'm impressed with this new patch. Early attempts to set AO just killed the FPS to unplayable values (far under 20) and unbearable lag.

Final Impression: AO is still hard on that card but from what I saw it should perform great on a 460 and above card as in equivalent AMD/ATI cards.

Edited by nosisab

What I don´t like about any AO solution for Skyrim is that in foggy areas of the dungeons the AO is always visible through the fog which really destroys the atmosphere for me...I hope there will be a solution to this one day but I am not quite sure wether it is possible (since the fog there seems to be meshes/particle systems you would have to filter transperent meshes out but that would require you to have access to the source code I guess..but I haven´t looked into the stuff too much so i actually have no idea XD)

What I don´t like about any AO solution for Skyrim is that in foggy areas of the dungeons the AO is always visible through the fog which really destroys the atmosphere for me...I hope there will be a solution to this one day but I am not quite sure wether it is possible (since the fog there seems to be meshes/particle systems you would have to filter transperent meshes out but that would require you to have access to the source code I guess..but I haven´t looked into the stuff too much so i actually have no idea XD)

If you use the enbseries AO, this can be adjusted. The distance fade value is for AO as seen through fog, precisely.

I did use Nvidia's AO; on my GTX 460 it wasn't even a strain to run. Unfortunately, ENB's AO is much nicer looking, and much harder to run.

I haven't used Nvidia's solution, however, enbseries is entirely adjustable in many ways to find the right balance for your machine. Half a dozen of the values will affect performance. Don't just adjust the overall quality setting because it's not the only quality setting actually. For instance, sizescale hurts/helps performance much more. It can make/brake AO on my system whereas the quality setting doesn't do as much.

Enbseries does look good, especially after personalizing it. Even if you don't want AO enabled, it can give better lighting, colors, bloom, etc than vanilla Skyrim.

Edited by thesapien

I havent gotten the jan 31st beta drivers yet but with a 2500k/560ti I found the nvidia AO too much of a fps hit, went from 55-60fps to 45-50fps. Views did look really moody and beautiful but i found the grass around me to be weird looking- kinda fuzzy, its difficult to describe. I will try it again tonight with these new drivers.

anisotropic- Nvidia control panel is much better than inside the game?