Coastal Paths

Zapata935

I am laying down a challenge to every landscape modder to create a walkable path around every water way and bye way in Tamriel. Including sea, lake and river. Re-arrange the landscape accordingly and includes what most modders forget is the TPG grids aswell! The winner will be announced on 28th August 2012. Have Fun!

While it's definitely do-able, a mod like that would likely conflict with a LOT of other mods. For example, NPCs would be walking into walls if the Lost Spires or Verona house was installed, two of the popular, bug quest mods. Not to mention all the Unique Landscape mods that would either overwrite it or get overwritten by it. When it comes to the Tamriel worldspace, the general rule is to modify only what you have to.

You would need like one patch for almost every Unique Landscapes Mod and a patch for Roads and Bridges. The modder who built this could spend the next couple of years building patch after patch after patch, answering mail to say he will not build a patch for a lesser-known mod, or just regretting he ever built the mod in the first place.

I suppose he could lay down the law and draw the line somewhere, and say, "I will patch for this and this, but I will patch for nothing else in the world. If you use my mod, you may not use any other mods that conflict with it and you will get no support if you try to."

Regarding the issue of it being advisable to edit as little of the landscape as possible, when I build a new dungeon mod, I tend to center my dungeon entrance and all my associated clutter in one exterior cell. That way if I ever need to build a patch, there is only one conflicting cell to worry about.

Edited by David Brasher

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the prize is a lesson in how to path grid, an education in how your mod may screw up loads of other mods! The challenge was to understand that!

Ok, are you going to do it yourself?

A good response, a clever one! To do it is impossible! That is why I suggested it in the first place. Best Wishes Zapata935