Adding stencil property to Skyrim mesh

AlienSlof

Adding a new property to a mesh in Nifskope used to be straight-forward, node, add property, stencil, etc - then set that to draw both faces.

However, on Skyrim meshes, this doesn't work. Firstly, It puts the property in it own entry in the tree, but then doesn't apply any flags I try to set. In game, my mesh comes up with a big ! because the game can't figure out what the extra property was. Clearly it's in the wrong place, but no matter how much I try to add it to the right NiTriShape thingywhatsit, Nifskope adds it to the bottom of the tree where it does nothing.

After retexturing a mesh and adding alpha channels to make holes in it, the mesh is invisible on its inside face. I want to know how to apply a stencil property that works, so that both sides of the mesh are drawn in-game.

Help please!

Hi, Add following flag in Nifskope 1.1.0-RC5 seem to fix problem;

BSLightingShaderProperty->Block Details->Shader Flags 2->[ENABLE] SF_Double_Sided

(NiStencilProperty not valid for Skyrim?)

Edited by bunsaki

I was with you up to 'shader flags 2' which I can't find. There are no options on it to change any settings either. Could you possibly give me a few more details, please? :)

Hi, i upload pic for shader flags 2 "SF_Double_Sided" that seem to work for me: (Maybe copy BSLightingShaderProperty from vanilla skyrim NIF file)

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6158/image2vac.jpg

Edited by bunsaki

OK, there was nothing like that in my block details, so I'm guessing this is a newer nifskope version than I have. I'll check that and give it another go. Thanks very much for your help, and have a kudos point! :thumbsup:

Edit: Thanks very much for your help - it works a treat! I was on an older version of nifskope - clearly had my head so far in Photoshop I never noticed the update! My armour looks way better now! :)

• 2 months later...
Back again and going to re-use this old topic - how do I add an alpha property to a mesh in Nifskope? The usual node/property menu just puts it at the bottom of the tree again, not attached to the mesh branch I want it on.

Just add an alpha property as you would have done in the past (or paste one in from another .nif)

and then in the ninode of the branch you want the alpha in scroll down to it's properties in block list and add it's number in there :

http://i.imgur.com/7CyG8.jpg

Hope that works :)

What I get is this:

http://www.slofslair.co.uk/content/art/nifskopealpha.jpg

The alpha property is in the wrong place - I don't know how to link it to the correct branch.

Simple select nitrishape go to the propierties section, scroll down and put the number of the alpha block just like the img from greywaste Edited by aruless

Thankee! I did finally twig lol! This old brain needs a bit of time to grasp these simple concepts!

Thanks to both of you. :)