Nexus Vs Steam Workshop. A warning for Modders

swindy

gird3r, Hey you don't like the mods don't download them. I also don't care for the eye candy mods. I don't use them. It doesn't inhibit my game play to know there are mods I don't like floating about the internet. But I will protect the rights of others to use them. Keep in mind, you may be a prude that is willing to deny someone else's idea of a good time, but the next mod that gets banned may be one you like. Perhaps some overly moral group finds that Skyrim uses to many weapons. Maybe there is too much violence. Maybe this very vocal group decides games like Skyrim should not be sold at all. Think it can't happen? Think again. Will a big corporate entity bow to the pressures of some mouthy puritanical group? They do it all the time. BTW, I don't have a girl friend, I have a wife. I have been married longer than you have probably been alive, junior.

wegotabadassoverhere.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if they are going for the 'app store' effect the split should 75% to the modder and 25% to the suits, the problem with this is that there will be mod versions of the 'fart app' just to make money, which serves no use and the workshop becomes garbage.

25% to the modder and 75% to them, kinda makes it seem less appealing to the money seekers out there and ultimately there will be better quality mods as modders wont be hoping to make large profits from mods, but will be happy to get a little extra for their efforts.

also if a great mod is made into paid for DLC on the workshop then it wont be long before someone will replicate their work for free on the nexus, we all use the same tool right..

Edited by Zenin

this part of the EULA seems interesting:

You also acknowledge and agree that other users, and Valve itself, may create other works that are similar to Your Valve Game Contribution(s), and that Valve’s payment obligations under this Section 3 only apply with respect to the distribution of actual copies of Your Valve Game Contribution(s).

Steam bad,

2 little words, that sum up pretty much my feeling and the feelings of most everyone in this discussion. Simply put I think that it is not about the money so much as the fact that I don't trust steam as far as I could throw the building it's housed at, and since I am not the hulk, that would be zero feet, zero inches. My big fear is that there will be a content bann, that at some point, yuo will boot up Skyrim and the steam client, will have conveniently disabled everything without a steam stamp of approval on it, or worse yet saying that you must be online inorder to play the game period, and disabling if not outright deleting any objectionable matierial, sexuality, nudity, profanity and foul language, jews. I say never again will we let them sully our computers with their direct marketing/spyware, do not put ony content onto steam. LONG LIVE THE NEXUS!

Steam bad,

2 little words, that sum up pretty much my feeling and the feelings of most everyone in this discussion. Simply put I think that it is not about the money so much as the fact that I don't trust steam as far as I could throw the building it's housed at, and since I am not the hulk, that would be zero feet, zero inches. My big fear is that there will be a content bann, that at some point, yuo will boot up Skyrim and the steam client, will have conveniently disabled everything without a steam stamp of approval on it, or worse yet saying that you must be online inorder to play the game period, and disabling if not outright deleting any objectionable matierial, sexuality, nudity, profanity and foul language, jews. I say never again will we let them sully our computers with their direct marketing/spyware, do not put ony content onto steam. LONG LIVE THE NEXUS!

I actually fear the same, a content ban, I dont want to scare people but a couple of steam when ive launched Skyrim after the 1.4 update it has said this:

'Cannot validate steam workshop data files'

Which has disabled all my mods when that happens, I Have to start Skyrim and then exit to desktop and try again, if I try and tick a data file the skyrim launcher says the same messege, then exits.

When its happened I have to keep re starting Skyrim until it works, thankfully its only happend 4 or 5 times so far

Edited by thelonewarrior

You know what, I hope steam does rape the nexus of all it's mods, and claims copyright.

I just saw one smartass ask if blame666 had express permission to use the escaflowne music, and I'm also guessing he blew the whistle, on a REALLY harmless mod that incorporated the theme music from said anime into the theme music for skyrim. The mod is currently under review, and I'm guessing that it's going to be taken down, meanwhile other files like GLAMDRING from LOTOR, zoidberg mudcrabs, marvel character faces on dragon priest masks, and many others, stay here just because they're doing well.

Like the f***ing company would even respond if he attempted to contact them, let alone trying to find out who and where to call for such permission. They more than likely wouldn't even f***ing understand what he was trying to ask of them, wouldn't take him seriously, and wouldn't even bother to email or mail him permission to use the music.

Apparently the nexus supports sopa, pipa, and acta, because this is the same type of double standard they incorporate. The fact is, gifts don't make the company money, so they get butt-hurt about that and claim that someone "stole" it, when we all damn well know that if someone buys the f***ing product and decides to give it to someone, that should be their f***ing right to do whatever they want with it since they purchased it, apart from claiming that it's YOUR music that you made.

If the admins of this site really feel like he's done something wrong, go ahead and ban me from the nexus in general, because that's just f***ing stupid.

Stupid like posting a rant because a mod you like was taken out of circulation due to copyright? If they had re-recorded the tracks themselves no problem - but using the actual track is downright idiotic and illegal.

The mods you mentioned are recreations, made by the uploader and NOT taken directly (meshes, textures) from any source. A recreation is fine, theft is not. If you cannot get permission from the copyright holder - you do not use it - it's not a difficult concept.

Take your rant elsewhere, you are clearly mistaken about many things, including copyright, fan and parody creations and how this site operates. User banned - TVD.