Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

I have been told it DOES use the same precombined optimization system

It uses the same precombines system, but the Previs system seems to be different. the previs files are much larger, so I assume they are prevising a larger cell radius.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made a few cell edits and have regenerated previs and precombines in loose files, I haven't archived them yet because I want to wait until the changes test okay. I know changes create a lot of files in the mod folder. My question is: if i want to go back to one of the cells I have previously altered and make a further change(s), is regenerating the previs and precombines again enough? Do I also have to make edits in xedit or go in and manually fiddle with the files or something? I'm just trying to get information so I know what I'm getting into and how much work I have ahead of me. Thank you for reading.

Regenerating precombineds and previs should overwrite the existing ones. If there are any meshes that are no longer used at all, the old ones would still be left in that folder but not actually be used by the game, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Changes in xEdit or in the CK will both be reflected when you re-generate precombineds/previs, as long as the changes are done first. You don't need to do both.

Just make sure that you save and relaunch the CK before regenerating precombineds. You should never do anything in the CK between loading the cell you are working on and generating precombineds, as detailed in my last post on the previous page.

EDIT: Wait a minute, for *each* cell? Just to be clear, after altering whatever in two different cells, save and quit, reopen, load cell1, regen, and then save and quit before moving on to the *next* cell's regen?

Edited by gob2

You should be able to do all of your Precombines, and Previs generation in one go. Just don't Generate, change something, and then regenerate before saving, and restarting the CK. A restart may be in order if you have a lot of cells across the entire worldspace, but 2 cells shouldn't be an issue. I also clean ITMs in xedit before generating as well. If something gets screwed up, you can always repeat the generation process. Besides... There is a chance that having done everything "by the book" could still yield an issue, so test extensively.

You should be able to do all of your Precombines, and Previs generation in one go. Just don't Generate, change something, and then regenerate before saving, and restarting the CK. A restart may be in order if you have a lot of cells across the entire worldspace, but 2 cells shouldn't be an issue. I also clean ITMs in xedit before generating as well. If something gets screwed up, you can always repeat the generation process. Besides... There is a chance that having done everything "by the book" could still yield an issue, so test extensively.

Thank you for clarifying.

Yeah, what Trosski said should be fine. I haven't done it for more than one cell at a time, but I didn't need to either. And yes, test extensively. Test before you pack files, and test after packing. Make sure that you remove the loose files after it is packed, or you won't realize if anything is wrong with the packed version.

Cleaning ITMs before or after shouldn't make a difference, but previs in particular is very picky. Can't even manually edit a precombined .nif file without breaking previs in little ways.

Hey guys, first i just wanna say thanks and how awesome it is that you guys document this kind of stuff. I've kept up on this thread since before i even touched the CK, and after messing with it over time and revisiting this thread all of the information makes more and more sense.

Are there any discord channels that you guys can recommend for questions I may have about the CK? Again , I appreciate you guys being a big part of what makes the bethesda modding community what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to patch some mods in my rather overburdened mod list, so to familiarize myself with the process, I used Minuteman Watchtowers as a starting point. It edits 14 cells (all spread out, save 4 that are adjacent). I did Precombine Geometry for Current Cell for each and then Generate Visibility for All Loaded Cells for each. Ran fine. Everything looks good. Except that a mod that originally touched 14 cells now touches close to 40 and instead of conflicting with a handful of mods, it makes xedit look like my 20-something self's bank statements. Should I do something less extensive or is this par for the course and simply a matter load order?

@Mycenia - If I were you and those 14 cells you wanna regen are all in one main area, I'd set the ugrids value high and find the middle cell that would cover all them cells and regen that way. You might even end up catching stuff from vanilla that may not be done by default. This does require a decent computer to do however, namely a lot of RAM/page file.

Really I wouldn't worry much about it, if you now have conflicts just put your file last or resolve by hand etc etc. Is this something you want to release?