Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

Quick question to the rest of this thread: what would you recommend as a good description of the XPRI subrecord in xEdit? Right now it is listed as "Physics References", but that is due to a slightly flawed understanding of it when FO4 was being decoded.

Since that subrecord is populated/changed when you generate PreVis, "PreVis References" would make sense, but doesn't actually seem to be a very good description. It definitely isn't a list of records that are used to generate the Previs, and it is far too short to be a list of things that Previs will hide from view at whatever angle is relevant.

Does anyone know what causes records to be listed there? Also, does it serve any purpose other than being a list of something related to previs generation? Is it actually used in-game?

@VlitS

Thanks for the answer. I deleted the vis files for both cells and regend precombined vis only. That worked. As general rule of thumb, as probably all cells have precombined. Should one only use precombined vis? Or when to use the normal vis

The only cells I have seen without precombineds are ones that you probably don't need to worry about optimization for, even if you are running on a potato. So yeah, I would generally only use precombined vis.

@VlitS

Thanks for the answer. I deleted the vis files for both cells and regend precombined vis only. That worked. As general rule of thumb, as probably all cells have precombined. Should one only use precombined vis? Or when to use the normal vis

One option is for cells without precombineds, the other with.

Also, I had an understanding the physics refs were for collision and possibly animation. It appears at times during runtime, when previs isn't calculated/generated properly, collision may not load for some objects.

The only time I have seen collision not load properly is when you generate precombineds in a cell after making some edits. If I save and relaunch the CK before generating precombineds, I have never had issues.

And that is what I thought XPRI was for (animated meshes), but if you look at some existing cells it doesn't always match up that way. And I noticed recently that that subrecord is not affected when you generate precombineds, only when you generate previs. So it doesn't make sense for it be be related to collision/animated references.

That is a good point, I've seen that with CK myself. I've had some weird ones though, such as a tree by a window, a staircase near a door and a tree cluster by a larger tree would always fail to have collision (and be prone to flickering) until I moved them a bit. On the whole these cases a rare, can't say I go looking for it either. Seen some other folk mention similar things.

I'll go back and revisit some files I did regens for and see what it listed for XPRI, see if can make some sense out of it. There was a conversation on this in the xEdit server a while ago I think, not sure if research is still on going there, but I heard the NIFSkope guy has left the scene.

I'll go back and revisit some files I did regens for and see what it listed for XPRI, see if can make some sense out of it. There was a conversation on this in the xEdit server a while ago I think, not sure if research is still on going there,

That might have been me* :P . When I realized that XPRI gets generated when making Previs, I asked on the xEdit discord why it is called "Physics References", which is why I know it was just a guess based on context and what was known/believed at that time.

That is actually why I was asking, once we came up with a better answer I was going to suggest that they change it in a future xEdit update.

but I heard the NIFSkope guy has left the scene.

Yeah, from what I remember (just before he deleted his discord), he got tired of people asking for a version that reads FO76 meshes after he already said he wasn't releasing it until mods were supported and/or he got the new shaders working right. I think there was also something about .nif support for another (non-Bethesda) game, but I don't remember which one.

*If it was earlier this year

Can't recall when it was, might have been earlier this year, lol. Haven't been playing with cells much, only the odd regen for myself.

Yeah bad business that with NIFSkope, hopefully one day dude will return.

Just snuck in a look at XPRI before bed, good general description for what that field includes would be: "animated objects (i.e containers) + furniture + some movable statics (even when doesn't make sense like an odd tire) + light emitting statics/probably other types + some really random stuff like a hazard or xheading marker O.o". Maybe you could term it as "non-mundane things with a chance of an erroneous inclusion" XD

I'm having trouble to regenerate previs for EastBostonPrepSchoolExt/02/03

Has someone experienced issues there? Everytime I try to regen previs there it jumps to easycitydownsext or DNPrimeBridge, depending on the location where I am.

I already regen for EasyCityDowns and that worked very well, but EastBostonPrepSchoolExt is completely freaking out. (Culling here and there, flickering everywhere.)

How I approached it: Created precombined for EastBostonPrepSchoolExt/02/03 and followed normal vis for current cell and then precombined vis for current cell. Tried to regen vis with each of the 3 cells.

Really don't know why it's not working.

Just a thought: If you're doing your testing with the Automatron DLC active but did not have it enabled in the CK when you do your regen, that could explain what you're experiencing. The RobCo building added by Automatron is in the cell range for the area you're working on. I did some regen in the Easy City Down cells a while back and forgot about the Automatron changes...was getting lots of preculling around the prep school and the RobCo building until I did it again with Automatron activated in the CK. I know you said you resolved it, but this was what solved it for me as I was dealing with making new precombines.

I'm having trouble to regenerate previs for EastBostonPrepSchoolExt/02/03

Has someone experienced issues there? Everytime I try to regen previs there it jumps to easycitydownsext or DNPrimeBridge, depending on the location where I am.

I already regen for EasyCityDowns and that worked very well, but EastBostonPrepSchoolExt is completely freaking out. (Culling here and there, flickering everywhere.)

How I approached it: Created precombined for EastBostonPrepSchoolExt/02/03 and followed normal vis for current cell and then precombined vis for current cell. Tried to regen vis with each of the 3 cells.

Really don't know why it's not working.

Just a thought: If you're doing your testing with the Automatron DLC active but did not have it enabled in the CK when you do your regen, that could explain what you're experiencing. The RobCo building added by Automatron is in the cell range for the area you're working on. I did some regen in the Easy City Down cells a while back and forgot about the Automatron changes...was getting lots of preculling around the prep school and the RobCo building until I did it again with Automatron activated in the CK. I know you said you resolved it, but this was what solved it for me as I was dealing with making new precombines.

I created it with the DLC but it didnt work because I tried to generate previs normal and with precombined. This somehow messed it up for me. I deleted the previs files and used with precombined only. That worked.