How do you rate the success of your mods ?

silwerbullet

Like damanding said, your ratio of endorsements to downloads is actually very typical, so don't consider that to be low. And as for the people with nice comments but not downloading settlement blueprints, some may like building their own place their way or don't even bother with that aspect of the game, but have an appreciation for the work that has gone into yours based on the images you've shown. I'd take that as a big compliment and not think it strange.

Based on the lovely comments posted to your mod pages, you have a lot of happy users. I'd consider that a success.

Thank you. Am just going to focus on my next build and have fun with what i do.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your endorsement to unique download ratio for any given mod will typically increase over time as well, especially if you update, and you've already got the 3rd most endorsed settlement blueprint, so clearly you're doing something right.

Took me 11 months to get a mod that had more than 500 unique downloads and 50 endorsements.
...so you're doing just fine, good job. =)

Edit: Yeah, I'd love to be one of those people that say "it's all about having fun and being proud of what your doing"...but, really, it is a bit frustrating when very few seem to be interested (no matter how much fun I've had, how much I've learned or proud I myself am)...especially when seeing people you've helped (with days and weeks) fly past into the 1,000's or even 10,000's, heh (I'm not bitter, really...fully honest, no sarcasm...especially since my most recent standalone mod).

I will also say, however, that when there is only a kind and helpful few...be good to them and let them know how much they are appreciated. Sometimes they will get you where you need to be, in different ways. Good core support is hard to find and should be appreciated.

if you make mods for the endorsment's you better stop now, most here are just leechers tat dl stuf and don't bother to hit tat lil button

if you like modding just do wat you wana do(not wat others tell you to do) and don't bother with those endorsments

note

i'm no modder never released anything so don't mind me

I make mods for myself, so they are a success if I like the result. I know that is pretty narrow, but that is the truth.

If I share a mod and "nobody likes it", I really do not care. My expectations of the game and my play style are not the same as everyone else, so my mod may not fit with someone else. Such is life.

Edited by PoorlyAged

Some of my least popular mods are the mods I have the most fun making and working on.

It sounds and looks like you have gotten yourself a nice, appreciative user base started and you really should be happy with that. As said above your download to endorsement ratio is the norm and it's better to just have fun and not worry about endorsements and popularity. And remember that the more popular a mod becomes the more BS you'll have tossed at you. :huh:

Some of my least popular mods are the mods I have the most fun making and working on.

Amen, brother. If I lived for endorsements, I would have been done long ago.

The thing about endorsements is, they don't really speak to the quality of the mod. I've seen high-upvoted mods that were just pure coding garbage, generating conflicts left and right. I've also seen works of art languishing in the sub-teens. Quality and popularity have nothing to do with each other. Sometimes they align, sometimes they don't.

By endorsement value, my mods are crushingly unpopular. They don't fit into the "Big Guns/Big Boobs" guaranteed popularity profile, and they tend to make the game harder and more tedious (not a mass crowd pleaser). But every so often I'll get a PM or comment from someone who says that they can't play without one of my mods anymore. And I like that. That keeps me releasing.

But honestly, even that's not my success metric. I start coding because something is missing from the game, and it's starting to impact how I feel about it. Then that dangerous question happens: "How hard would it be..?" Now I'm curious. Fire up CK. Google around Nexus. Has anyone else done this? Has anyone tried? Has anyone succeeded?

If the answer to the above is "yes", I just download the most mature mod and forget about it. Problem solved.

The trouble really happens when I see someone brand the Problem as impossible to solve, or too difficult to be worth the effort, and somewhere in the back of my head I just don't believe that. There is a way to make it work. And that bugs me every time I fire up the game. I'm constitutionally incapable of letting the damned thing go until either the problem is solved, or I can prove beyond a doubt that it can't be solved. I'm a bit obsessive that way. I've coded since childhood, almost four decades now. I've been obsessing over that mental itch since I was nine years old, hacking around on my dad's Atari 400.

So that's my success metric: seeing it work. Locking it down. Perfecting the implementation. That's also why I release the source code to all my scripts: because someone out there is also trying to solve problems, and source code is a big help.

Endorsements and downloads are nice little ego boosters. The occasional fan is awesome.

But seeing the damned thing work is the dragon I've always been chasing. That's the high.

Edited by Greslin

That's also why I release the source code to all my scripts: because someone out there is also trying to solve problems, and source code is a big help.

Even as silly (and maybe broken) as my scripts are, this is something that has always been very important to me.

I always try (when I remember) to pack the source/psc scripts.

I may not be the best person to learn from, but maybe they can help someone at least get started in their desired direction.

Anywho, on topic:

Regardless of what I said earlier, I'm difinitely not all about endorsements and download rates (though a new endorsement will certainly make me smile...and I'm not ashamed to admit it)...otherwise I would have stopped working on my thing 6+ months ago. =P

Still, and not to be argumentative, I find it hard to imagine more people don't get the "Huh, I really thought this would be more *clearly* popular, it seemed like such a good idea" feeling more often.

...really though, anytime anyone wants to have a real discussion about things like choices, direction or content, that's my thing (though I may not always take the advice or suggestions).

Partly that's because I like to hear/see myself talk (like right now, for instance, heh). ;-)

But also because someone was obviously interested enough to have these thoughts and take the time to relay them to myself.

That sounds after real passion Greslin. I don´t know why, but all the coders I met over the years in the modding scene, or in other sectors there really, reaaally passionated. I had always appreciated it and saw it as some sort of paragon for myself. What doesn´t means, that I like to do coding... It´s a pain in the ... for me, like also 3d modeling. But for the things I like to do.