CK need steam to work and only available through steam

rabidNode

quote --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still waiting for my action games that actually use multiple keys rather than just letting me equip stuff to my left and right mouse buttons like a console tard. Yes, I'm looking at you Kingdoms of Amalur, and although you are fun, I'd much rather have a World of Warcraft-style action bar where I hit an ability and activate it right there rather than basically use two abilities and only switch for certain types of enemies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can put an item or spell in your favorite by pressing F when the mouse is on the item you want to add, Press Q while In-Game and press 1-9 when the mouse is over an item and when you click on 1, the item/spell on that slot is equiped

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's time to stop posting. The only reason you would really oppose this is a.) An idiot that thinks there is something wrong with Steam (It's time to put away your tin foil hats too), or b.) A Pirate.

Doubtful -- As any decent Pirate already has the CK and the Game working FIne with no trace of STEAM on their system -- And if an Idiot would be defending Steam and it's policies so think you're wrong on both accounts !!

Edited by JDFan

I think it's time to stop posting. The only reason you would really oppose this is a.) An idiot that thinks there is something wrong with Steam (It's time to put away your tin foil hats too), or b.) A Pirate.

Doubtful -- As any decent Pirate already has the CK and the Game working FIne with no trace of STEAM on their system -- And if an Idiot would be defending Steam and it's policies so think you're wrong on both accounts !!

I think Butteslol was looking to start a fight with someone so Doubtful I have to agree with your view on this. I just allowed my PC to update to latest patch and grabbed my copy of the CK. Looks like I now have just what I need to break the game in new ways. Here comes the learning curve.

However I think I am going to blow out my original install of Skyrim because it seems that something is clashing as I am now getting some frame rate issues and stutter. This started occurring after installing several mods back in December. So I think a fresh start will help.

Looking forwards to the new mods hitting the site soon.

By the way my CK seems to work just fine in offline mode and firewall blocking connection to Steam. Since I haven't done anything special I presume it works this way for everyone.

quote --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still waiting for my action games that actually use multiple keys rather than just letting me equip stuff to my left and right mouse buttons like a console tard. Yes, I'm looking at you Kingdoms of Amalur, and although you are fun, I'd much rather have a World of Warcraft-style action bar where I hit an ability and activate it right there rather than basically use two abilities and only switch for certain types of enemies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can put an item or spell in your favorite by pressing F when the mouse is on the item you want to add, Press Q while In-Game and press 1-9 when the mouse is over an item and when you click on 1, the item/spell on that slot is equiped

I was referring to Kingdoms of Amalur, not Skyrim, but Skyrim is nearly as bad. The favorites bar has quite a few limitations and annoyances; for example, it's difficult and counter-intuitive to equip a sword-and-shield combo along with bows or magic. Not to mention I shouldn't have to pause the game every time I want to use a different combat ability. The favorites menu system was specifically designed to deal with a complex system being utilized on consoles. With a PC I should just be able to assign all my favorite combinations to a separate key, or cast magic while using a bow or dual weapons. The famous "dual wield" system for Skyrim is purely a console improvement...it does nothing to improve combat for the PC and having to click both mouse buttons all the time is kind of frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I love Skyrim, but the majority of my complaints with the game (inventory system, dual wield clunkiness, difficult to navigate perk tree, low resolution textures, and poor shout implementation) are all directly related to design limitations enforced by console requirements. None of these decisions would make any sense if this game was designed primarily for the PC. Heck, until the recent patches basic keybinding implementation didn't work correctly, but the game worked fine if you plug in an XBox controller. The only XBox controllers I ever use are my Rock Band drums and guitar.

But yeah, there's no reason for a PC game to do like Kingdoms of Amalur and require me to right click to cast lightning bolt, press two, right click to cast fireball, press one, right click to cast lightning bolt again. Such a gameplay setup is purely designed based on a gamepad. I doubt we'll have the next gen consoles come with a mouse and keyboard but I can always hope =).

You're right, the entire world doesn't have internet access, but I have a hard time believing that the majority of the world with computers capable of running games like Skyrim or Deus Ex doesn't. The internet is such an integral part of what makes computers useful it seems kind of like saying that the majority of people have TVs but not access to Cable or Satellite.

Considering how many games are now becoming free-to-play and online only, and being widely successful, the fact that some users aren't going to be able to use their service is unfortunately rather minor in the grand scheme of things, especially since internet access is only going to become more and more available as time goes on. So, like DRM, publishers have to work much harder to convince their bosses to cater to the powerful-computer-but-no-internet-access crowd, especially for a U.S. company primarily focused on U.S. customers, the vast majority of which have access to some sort of online connection.

Less than 30% of the U.S. has a broadband connection. With forced updates, dialup is largely unrealistic for Steam. Free tethering is all well and good, for those on the only major carrier that still allows it. Otherwise, it's going to $20 extra a month or more and you're going to quickly run afoul of the caps.

Sprint 3G Data

Used 8,110,403KB

That is what it looks like when you tether. That is 4 fold the cap of all other major providers. The only things I have downloaded for this billing period, were the update, the CK and some mods(mostly just .esp/.esm files). Everything else is normal browsing and a Youtube video here and there. If I had a good 4G connection, that would easily triple.

My computer isn't useless without internet access. It greatly limits what I do with it, but I still have my games, which is the entire reason I have a highend system. There might be a Starbucks out there I can connect to Steam at, but I'm sure as hell not about to drag my oversized tower into one.

The CK needing Steam to work is /only/ a problem if you're a pirate.

I doubt it

It'll be a problem if Steam doesn't get along with you.

Like I said, if you think that this is a problem, then WAIT for the STANDALONE version.

The CK needing Steam to work is /only/ a problem if you're a pirate.

The CK most certainly does not require Steam to function. You only need it if you want to use Steam Workshop. If you aren't savvy enough to follow all the directions given in this forum to play Skyrim or use the CK without being connected to Steam then maybe you shouldn't be using the CK to begin with.

Edit: By the way I am not a pirate.I am just someone that knows enough about what he is doing to get it done. I am getting sick of the uninformed telling those of us with a little know how that we are thieves.

Edited by elleonblanco