How much did Amalur steal from Skyrim/Oblivion exactly?

Feanoro

I played the KoA Reckoning demo a,d my god it was simply amazing. At first i wasn't to sure, but when i get out side, and I saw all the GREEN I was sold. For gods sake, why the hell are so many games so grey now a days? Skyrim has it's moments, but honestly, i would give freaking ANYTHING to have a green whiterun for once. I mean, even on the GREEN tress, it just looks so grey! But man, when i stepped out of that dungeon at the start of KoA, that was the instant i knew i wanted the game.

Not to mention I love the combat.

However, is it really so much of a problem that some features are similar? Quite frankly if i were a game dev i'd be proud if someone else stole one of my ideas, because that just means out right that i works, and it works well.

There both really amazing games, so who cares if some features are similar? If your going to make a game, might as well make it awesome, right?

KoA has better writing. That was the first thing, even in the Demo, that leapt out at me. Now, I won't claim its going to win prizes for its narrative. Granted its still a video game story. This ain't Bastion we're dealing with, kid. Nonetheless, they care about narrative to a degree Bethesda just never has done.

Also, the combat. The big Warhammer in the room, obviously. Blows away Skyrim combat. Simply light years ahead in terms of fun.

Frankly I will take Skyrim's gorgeous world over Amalur any day. Skyrim remains, hands down, the best game for exploration, at least for now. Beautiful craggy mountains, deep valleys, canyons and rivers...and Dragons. You know, the big, flying, fire-breathing lizard who's chasing you down from above. Yep. That guy. Skyrim has those things going for it, which is nice.

Exploring Skyrim is better. Tweaking it to be the game it could have been if it had been designed for adults: Also a plus.

But in terms of sheer fun factor? Amalur not only has Skyrim beat, its actually light years ahead, in my opinion.

Right, the similarities have nothing to do with the fact that Ken Rolston was the executive designer of Reckoning, and also the lead designer for Morrowind and Oblivion, and everything to do with the fact that they "stole" from TES because of EA.

Being informed fail.

I think the OP really was just asking a question about the games. I haven't played KoA so I'm not getting in to that, but some of you have bashed the OP for pointing out similarities in the game and asking if anyone else thought the same. And so what if he hasn't played may rpg's or hell, games in general? He's ASKING not insisting that KoA stole all this stuff from skyrim.

Some pretty harsh responses. You could have just said no they weren't stolen and explain why.

Edited by thompsonar