Steam Workshop.

Throsby

I was hoping to use both Nexus and Steamworkshop, but the workshop has a long way to go first. Lack of control, like no search function currently, and no extra button to download the mod and install it myself. I click that subscribe button and I have no idea what files are going to be downloaded. Won't be able to tell if it will conflict with any other mods I made or downloaded. I'll definitely be sticking with the Nexus forever, and hope to someday use Steam Workshop along side it, providing it adds some of the features most are wanting for it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i see it, not only Nexus will not loose its regular users to SW, but it will gain some more due to the same SW

most people seem to believe it Nexus vs SW

i think it is Nexus and SW, and actually SW is making Nexus a favor by popularizing the mods to those previously unaccustomed to them

really, why should be a choice between one or the other?

i get my mods where i can find them, and my first step is usually moddb dot com. From there i get to sites like Nexus, or other specific game modding community.

So, Steam has SW. SO what? A smart player will use SW, Nexus, moddb and any other location that offers what he's looking for.

It's really a pointless topic. IMHO.

SW just added the Search function!

Celebration, anyone? :dance:

Wasn't there already a search function? There was for TF2, why didn't they instantly move it over to Skyrim?

I am not keeping up with this stuff, going to wait a year or so for the mods to come out before I get back into Skyrim.

The site works well though it stinks not being able to use the search or download without logging on. It really goes against the anonymous lurker inside me. SW obviously still has a few bugs to work out too. The number of unique favorites and subscribers somehow outnumbers the number of normal favorites and subscribers in the stats.

On the plus side, the presentation is better than the Nexus. Being able to see preview images, video, descriptions, stats and comments on the mod page without it feeling cluttered is quite a feat. The slide show feature was also a nice touch. The number of tags is thorough without being overwhelming. The fact that the CK allows modders to directly upload to SW doesn't hurt it either.

As it stands, I don't see SW as much of a threat to Nexus. It is better to look at but it doesn't have as many features as the Nexus such as image uploads, access to multiple versions of mods, anonymous searching and related mods for other TES games. There also appears to be a far lower tolerance for politically incorrect mods than the Nexus (nude mods, sex mods, kill-able children, etc) and the steam forums are a joke. The Nexus really is all around better than Steam at this point for installing TES mods and talking about TES games in general.

Edited by justwannaddl

The site works well though it stinks not being able to use the search or download without logging on. It really goes against the anonymous lurker inside me.

I think that has something to do with them trying to create a community, that is why I will stay with the Nexus. This is something, at this stage, that the Nexus does far better than SW.

The site works well though it stinks not being able to use the search or download without logging on. It really goes against the anonymous lurker inside me.

I think that has something to do with them trying to create a community, that is why I will stay with the Nexus. This is something, at this stage, that the Nexus does far better than SW.

So now that they have a search, we're saying it needs a search without logging in? But why again, exactly? You'd have to log in to download your mod anyway. So you'd be logging out then back in and they'd still know what you downloaded. Isn't that an extra hassle for yourself? I just use the Steam app and don't worry about logging in or out. Subscriptions don't even seem to download unless I'm logged in and have at least the Skyrim launcher running.

I have four computers at home and an Ipad. Only one of them has Skyrim but all of them gets used by various family members and friends. I'd rather not have one of the more unruly members deciding to cause some mischief with any of my accounts because they saw that I'm still logged in. If I go to a public library or use a friend's/coworker's computer, I really do not want to log on to anything if I don't have to. Not needing to be logged on to use a feature does have its advantages.