Picking up duplicate item CTD

robbierings

Occasionally I will come across items in the Wasteland where there are two of the same item next to each other or on top of one another.

As soon as I pick up one of the duplicate items the game CTD's. Upon reloading picking up the item no CTD.

I suspect it could be due to a mod that's creating duplicate items but that seems unlikely because most of the items I encounter are in random outskirts of the Wasteland.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If not perhaps you may have some input on what could be causing this to happen or a way to fix the problem would be super rad.

open console

click on both items and write down their codes

you may find the mod creating the problem by identifying the first 2 characters

Good thinking...Thanks ;]

That would at least tell me if it was or was not one of a main DLC such as Automatron etc.

I'll give that a go next time I run into it....Cheers!

Without knowing more info, my first guess would be that you installed a mod twice. I'm not even sure if that's possible (I would think dupes would get automatically disabled), but I imagine it could cause the sort of issue you're having. If you're like me and you install mods manually, it would certainly be possible to accidentally add the mod to your load order twice.

Just a guess anyway - I've never experienced this issue.

If you want to check, open "plugins.txt" in C:\Users\[your windows login]\AppData\Local\Fallout4\

If it's a huge list it could require photographic memory to check by eye, so you might want to copy/paste it into excel or something so you can re-sort alphabetically and even run a formula to easily check for dupes.

Edit: Do you use LOOT? Maybe that has a function that checks for dupes, I'm not sure.

Edited by Dupre232

If you're like me and you install mods manually, it would certainly be possible to accidentally add the mod to your load order twice..

maybe 2 not really compatible variations of the same mod are activated at the same time (from the same mod install)

YaddaYadda_no_dlc.esp

YaddaYadda_all_dlc.esp

Edited by Fonger

If you're like me and you install mods manually, it would certainly be possible to accidentally add the mod to your load order twice..

maybe 2 not really compatible variations of the same mod are activated at the same time (from the same mod install)

YaddaYadda_no_dlc.esp

YaddaYadda_all_dlc.esp

Oh yeah, good point!

Also, robbierings, are these vanilla objects or added by a mod? If you use FO4Edit and can remember an example of an object that had this issue, you could take a look.

Without knowing more info, my first guess would be that you installed a mod twice. I'm not even sure if that's possible (I would think dupes would get automatically disabled), but I imagine it could cause the sort of issue you're having. If you're like me and you install mods manually, it would certainly be possible to accidentally add the mod to your load order twice.

If you want to check, open "plugins.txt" in C:\Users\[your windows login]\AppData\Local\Fallout4\

If it's a huge list it could require photographic memory to check by eye, so you might want to copy/paste it into excel or something so you can re-sort alphabetically and even run a formula to easily check for dupes.

Edit: Do you use LOOT? Maybe that has a function that checks for dupes, I'm not sure.

I use NMM for all my mods and avoid loose files at all cost. It's possible I updated a mod incorrectly when updating. I know I tried to update SKE and Homemaker but I couldn't find Homemakers uninstall holotape in game so I just uninstalled the update and went back to a save previous to the uninstall/update.

It could be something that was uninstalled in the past and I accidentally loaded a dirty save but not likely as I try to be super careful with clean saves but that seems along the lines of what would cause the issue.

I do use LOOT and I would also think that it would show me an error if I had two of the same mods installed.

I checked my plugins.txt and didn't see anything that looked duplicate also couldn't figure out how to format my plugins.txt in my word app (AbiWord) to alphabetical order (not sure if I should feel stupid about that).

I guess the only thing I can do now is wait till I run into the dupe again and try testing that save by deactivating mods - but like I said before, if it is a dirty save then I guess that that wouldn't tell me anything by deactivating my mods one by one which I don't look forward to doing as I have a lot.

YaddaYadda_no_dlc.esp

YaddaYadda_all_dlc.esp

Oh yeah, good point!

Also, robbierings, are these vanilla objects or added by a mod? If you use FO4Edit and can remember an example of an object that had this issue, you could take a look.

They are vanilla objects like teddy bears (not all teddy bears though), another time it was....duct tapes.

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure that all the situations where my game crashed from picking up dupes it was vanilla items.

I use NMM for all my mods and avoid loose files at all cost. It's possible I updated a mod incorrectly when updating. I know I tried to update SKE and Homemaker but I couldn't find Homemakers uninstall holotape in game so I just uninstalled the update and went back to a save previous to the uninstall/update.

It could be something that was uninstalled in the past and I accidentally loaded a dirty save but not likely as I try to be super careful with clean saves but that seems along the lines of what would cause the issue.

I don't think it's Homemaker since you mentioned teddy bears and duct tape. Those are used in OCDecorator, but not Homemaker. I agree it probably isn't an issue from an uninstalled mod, unless it was something really funky.

I checked my plugins.txt and didn't see anything that looked duplicate also couldn't figure out how to format my plugins.txt in my word app (AbiWord) to alphabetical order (not sure if I should feel stupid about that).

Don't feel stupid :) some apps don't recognize .txt format. If you want to post your load order I can take a look, unless you're happy with it. Don't forget Fonger's idea - it could be that you have two versions of the same mod installed when you're only supposed to install one.

I guess the only thing I can do now is wait till I run into the dupe again and try testing that save by deactivating mods - but like I said before, if it is a dirty save then I guess that that wouldn't tell me anything by deactivating my mods one by one which I don't look forward to doing as I have a lot.

Yeah that would be a pain. As I mentioned, if you use FO4Edit, you can load all your mods into it and look at one of these objects. It'll show every mod you have that alters it.

Also remember as Fonger said, when it happens you should target both objects and check the first two characters of their ID.

Here's my load order if you wanna take a peek:

*DLCRobot.esm
*DLCworkshop01.esm
*DLCCoast.esm
*DLCworkshop02.esm
*DLCworkshop03.esm
*DLCNukaWorld.esm
*Robot Home Defence.esm
*ArmorKeywords.esm
*VideoMaster.esm
*HUDFramework.esm
*SettlementKeywords.esm