Broken Escape Key

CursedSeal7

I've had this problem for a while, so far i've tried remapping the key to f7, remapping it to a extra mouse button, and checking for mods or in the .ini for a way to change the key that opens the pause/in game menu and cant find anything that helps. any help would be amazing, thanks.

I could be mistaken on this, but I seem to recall that the menu level of keys is hard coded into the game. You may be on the market for a new keyboard.

Ouch ... if I either run across where I got that info or a solution to your problem I'll post.

- Edit - If you can borrow a keyboard to try this it will be a zero cost experiment ... keyboards are USB devices, and on a desktop are recognized at boot-up as such. What would happen if you plugged in a keyboard and then booted your laptop?

Edited by Striker879

I couldn't resist checking this out myself (and besides, it's keeping me from going outside and shoveling snow).

I have an older Logitech USB keyboard that was just kicking around in the spare parts bin so I plugged it into my HP laptop (non-gaming and running Vista) and then booted up. Logged into my non-administrator account using the external keyboard and created a text file in Notepad. Actually you can use both keyboards at the same time. The keyboard doesn't show in your 'connected usb devices' (like a USB stick would) so you don't need to 'eject' it before unplugging. I also tried booting without the external keyboard connected and then plugged it in ... still worked the same (i.e. both keyboards could be used) and unplugging left the laptop keyboard functioning fine.

Having two keyboards makes it not very possible to play with your laptop on your lap, but if your's is anything like mine that's not really something I'd be doing anyway. You should be able to pick up a cheap keyboard, or maybe even a small one that will fit into your laptop bag.

thanks everyone, i found out that with the "change console key" mod i was able to change the console key to the "page down" key. now i just use "tapkey 01" to bring up the menu, and use that. I just wish someone would make a "change pause key" mod.... couldnt be that hard to change the console key mod to pause key, but im not a modder or a scripter, so im clueless, if anyone else can, let me know, thanks.

thanks everyone, i found out that with the "change console key" mod i was able to change the console key to the "page down" key. now i just use "tapkey 01" to bring up the menu, and use that. I just wish someone would make a "change pause key" mod.... couldnt be that hard to change the console key mod to pause key, but im not a modder or a scripter, so im clueless, if anyone else can, let me know, thanks.

you were using the esc key (thread title) to bring up the console??!!??!!

of course that didn't work

its the wrong key

the esc key brings up the game menu

you were using the esc key (thread title) to bring up the console??!!??!!

of course that didn't work

its the wrong key

the esc key brings up the game menu

no, i was using it to bring up the menu, the key doesnt work PERIOD. it had soemthing spilled on it and it doesnt work, nor does my tilde key. i use teh console to bring up the menu since i cant find a way to make any sort of remapped esc key work. I found a mod that lets you change the "console key" so now i use the console to open the menu so that i can change settings and save, ect.