How can I use my favorite texture mods and the new Bethesda high rez t

acb32

Is it possible to use both the new high rez texture pack from bethesda and simultaneously use other texture packs from other mods that I've downloaded through NMM? The problem is that the new pack is over writing some of the textures from previous mods that I like better. For instance, sexy Whiterun, Vurts Floral, and high res trees all seem to be over-written by the new texture pack. Basically, I would like to start with the bethesda high rez texture pack and then over-write it with my other favorite texture mods, but I don't know if this is possible.

Get BSAopt, extract all the textures from Bethesda's HD official DLC, and copy it into the correct directory. Choose "don't copy" if it asks if you want to overwrite the other textures. That should allow you to use Skyrim's official HD textures only where you don't already have them replaced.

As usual, back stuff up first in case something goes wrong.

Edited by Rennn

I have the same problem, although it seems like some loose texture files load as expected and some are loaded from the HD textures .BSA even though they shouldn't be. That approach does sound like it will work if you uncheck HighResTexturePack01.ESP and *02.ESP in Data Files before starting the game, but it sounds like the "brute force" approach to making loose texture files work. Isn't this another flavor of the old 'ArchiveExpire' crap you had to go through with Oblivion/Fallout 3?

I have the same problem, although it seems like some loose texture files load as expected and some are loaded from the HD textures .BSA even though they shouldn't be. That approach does sound like it will work if you uncheck HighResTexturePack01.ESP and *02.ESP in Data Files before starting the game, but it sounds like the "brute force" approach to making loose texture files work. Isn't this another flavor of the old 'ArchiveExpire' crap you had to go through with Oblivion/Fallout 3?

Have you tried the approach in my last post? I'm interested to see if it works for you too.

Just extract the bsa, copy and paste the ones you want and leave the ones you don't. It's as easy as sorting a photo album >_>

Why would you go to all that trouble when you could follow the tip from my post and do it all without needing to extract the BSAs?

Thanks to both Renn and KraG for the quick helpful reply! So, I'm very new to all of this and I looked into both methods. I'm giving Krags' method a shot first because I cant currently download BSAopt as I'm having trouble with the Nexus website.

KraG,

just so I understand: if I change my ini file which reads:

"[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa"

This last line is different from what the thread you linked above shows - not sure if this makes a difference or not.

...to include, "HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa" at the end and then disable the high res 1 and 2 esp boxes in NMM, then my other texture mods will now be able to over-write the bethesda HD textures?

Thanks for all the help as I am pretty novice to all this stuff :)

Just so I understand: if I change my ini file which reads:

This last line is different from what the thread you linked above shows - not sure if this makes a difference or not.

...to include, "HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa" at the end and then disable the high res 1 and 2 esp boxes in NMM, then my other texture mods will now be able to over-write the bethesda HD textures?

Correct. As the thread says - make sure you change both ini files.

The Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa may be due to a quest fix mod you may have installed - the one for the Hrothgar speaking problem.

Edited by KraGeRzR