Can this be done without a script?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really sorry to hear this. I wish I had more understanding of it, to help. I know we can do it with solid light, but I am at a total loss for how to get flicker.

Hi Thumb,

So far we know that only magelight spell with casting type set to : Fire and Forget and delivery set to either : Aimed, Target Actor, Target Location are triggering the flickering effect correctly.

So i have tried to take the lightspellstaticlight.nif and to put NiStringExtraData node set to be linked to the pelvis but it seem to have no effect in game just like the node is completely ignored.

So there is maybe a way to attach the light via script with Target Actor delivery method so i post a thread to see if people with papyrus experience could shed some light on this hypothetical solution.

I should do a video of the flickering FX on and off and maybe then i could generate enough interest for people to join our effort to get this thing working.

Forget to mention that i disable the only light effect mod i was using just to make sure the light were not affected(RLO)

Edited by dovapix

What an idiot i am i just realized i made this thread in the wrong forum section! How do we contact a mod here?

If a mod see this thread can you please move this thread to : Skyrim Special Edition Creation Kit and Modders

My apologies since i went in my content and didn't realize i was not in the good forum...

Finally after a week of trying to make this work i came out with a solution of my own instead of relying on third party mods. The solution was so simple that i never thought about it first, what i did was to simply animate the light Attach node in 3ds max on all 3 axis to simulate the pattern of a dancing flame then exporting the nif with animation and fix the nif node structure to work with the new anim and voila!

The effect is pretty realistic and the new lantern mod will have the following options:

* Wearable in front or back belt

* Hand held

* As a magic light that follow you(without the annoying blinding flash)

* 2 new custom lantern models to chose from

* Optional lantern with shadow(will disable light if you come in a cell with 4 lights, a script is suppose to fix that)

And best of all it required no script and doesn't affect performance at all.

Will be release on the Nexus with video soon.

Edited by dovapix

Holy crap, that's awesome. I know nothing about 3ds or blender, so that would have never occurred to me. I can't wait to download. Thank you for creating that, ahead of time.

Hi Thumb,

Thank but you are the only one who truly motivated me to push it further almost across the insanity realm(specially last night) ! But like i mention earlier modding is 10 defeats for one victory but when you like challenges then you are served!

Bethesda have disabled it on purpose so the console mods don't suffer, that why a Constant Effect on Self is much more costly in term of performance than the Fire and Forget Aimed casting type. But they should at least indicate this on their wiki since i am certainly not the first trying to make this work and i lost considerable time doing so but at least this thread will probably help other modders to avoid doing the same.

After i am done with a series of mods start a year ago i will make a new modders branch on my gaming channel specially for people who want to learn all the fancy stuff in Skyrim with a variety of tools that are often close guarded secrets!

I am in the game development business since the past 15 years and 6 years as a 3D&2D teacher in various colleges, recently i was an environment freelancer and was forced to quit my job because of chronic RSI problems.

I still have to make these various lantern options available via spellbooks and i hope i will have luck googling for it since help is something i don't get very often either on forum or in real life!

Will try to upload a video just to show the effect later on tonight.

Edited by dovapix

Hey, that's very kind of you to do, and I know a lot of modders will appreciate the help and tips. I know I will. Thank you very much, again.

I wish I had that kind of knowledge, as to be a game dev. I'm just an occasional tinkerer and slave to tutorials, without which I'd be sunk.

As i suspected i am googling for 2 hours now and found nothing on making options menu with spell books so i will have to load mod in the ck to see how they did it.

Maybe Skyrim special edition forum is not a very good place to ask questions since there is very little traffic lately!