Can this be done without a script?

I was able to fix the pivot point problem(see end of post for fix) so now i don't need to have 3 operations anymore but this is causing another issue since when you equip the lantern the flame is already loading with it and after you use lantern oil to light it even if the flame is already on it, it is not that bad because when you do this you don't see flame until you exit the menu inventory. But when you ran out of oil the flame is still visible without any light so that kind of odd! But again we can say that the light is getting very dim because not enough fuel in lantern.

But i am still trying to see if i can find a way to load the flame node(armor) upon using the lantern oil(potion), i am willing to go the script way if i have no other choice but it will be very light and not resource heavy at all.

If i could have the same functionality as armor node on potions it would be easy to have the flame node loaded while using potion but potions have no 3d representation of the object upon equip.

There is also the possibility to use the magic effect visual like explosion to see if i can generate the flame with it.

For those having issue with object attach to body slots that are not following the player correctly(just like the pivot point seem further away thus creating a wide rotation angle) just use a NiStringExtraData with these strings : Prn in first string and NPC Pelvis [Pelv] in second line and make it a child of your BSFadeNode and add a new entry in Num Extra Data List update the array and link your NiStringExtraData in the array list.

Edited by dovapix

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem solved without a single line of code as intended and i only use one body slot instead of 2, i simply use the hit effect art in the magic effect menu and add the NiStringExtraData node to link to the pelvis and i set both particle system to no for world space and everything work perfectly.

So to operate our lantern we just equip it first and then we use an oil flask and voila lantern is on for 16 min! Time to open a beer i think!

This solution work but if our friend can make the other solution work i would chose this over my since it will give us real flickering FX aka light intensity variations.

At least if he cannot make it work we now have a pretty decent solution.

Edited by dovapix

That is outstanding news. You deserve a beer, or two.

Yep finally found a way to make it work and i already thought about the hit effect art but for some reason i thought the pivot point of the FX was hard coded since it is embedded in the magic effect and to my surprise it was not.

I use body slot 48 so i hope not many mods use this one.

Will finish to texture the potions and make the menu via spell books and probably releasing in the weekend then if our friend can make the other solution work i will update it.

I don't recall anyone using this technique for weapons FX so it give me new idea for a new mod!

Will wait a bit since our friend working on the other solution is going to have a working version available soon and the reason is simple : His technique is letting us use the torch as lantern so this work for both lantern type belt and hand held meaning oil flask will work on both versions.

With my solution i will have to make 2 different set of oil flask since one use the magic effect light and the other the regular torch.

Edited by dovapix

I have a feeling this is going to be a very popular mod. I can't wait to give it a try. It's interesting, watching how you solve these problems.

Hi Thumb,

That was the goal and i document most of my threads this way so when someone stumble on one of my post he will have answers and good info for modding.

I will have very good videos on using nifskope since i learn a lot on my own and my background as a 3D artist help me a lot understanding this tool that is unfortunately very poorly documented.

What do you guy's think about the magic light version of the lantern, should we also put a magic item to refuel it?

Edited by dovapix

We will have to forget about the other solution since the first person still have the torch holding animation but the third person was working. At least we tried and kudos to Zartar the author of Behaviors organizer who generously offer to help for this mod.

Refuels with a soul gem? X minutes per gem size? That's one way to make Azura's Star / The Black Star much more useful. Or it could be the spell itself. Cast magelight for 60 seconds, but if you cast magelight into this specially-attuned lantern, it will hold it for 60 minutes, or something like that.