ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Can this be done without a script?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, that looks complicated. I think blender is free, right? I'll have to d/l it and see if I can't get them going. Thank you much for this tutorial. I think it will help.

Hi Thumb,

Sometime people make thing look way more complicated then it is truly, you don't need to understand the complete 3D pipeline to do some weighting stuff and it feel rewarding at the end when you see your own creation in game.

I found an elegant solution for my lantern problem and it's even adding a little to the gameplay since now the lantern will work this way : First you buy it at the Riverwood trader and you buy flint stones with it, then you equip the lantern and after you use the flint stones to light the lantern.

I can put a certain duration on the lantern and you will then need to relight it with another flint stones. I will also put flint stones in the world and dungeons but they will be scarce of course.

I know some other mod rely heavily on script to simulate oil and other stuff but for my lantern mod the challenge was to do it without any script like i have said earlier simple non intrusive working lantern mod.

Edited by dovapix

That sounds great. I look forward to seeing it happen. Thank you for undertaking it, too. I know it's not easy.

Thank and you are right since it was far more complicated than i initially thought, in other game engine this would have been so much more easy but in Skyrim modding is like fighting against the engine.

Now i just need to figure a way to have the inventory menu to display the flint stones but not showing them in game since it is the flame.

Just stumble upon another little problem since setting the light enchantment effect duration have no effect in game! Trying to Google this but so far not much have show up!

So far it seem like you cannot add a duration to an armor enchantment set with constant on self, i tried everything and nothing seem to work.

Exactly what i thought constant effect set on self cannot have duration on them here a link about it : https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3c6bkk/need_help_with_magic_effect_in_creation_kit/

So many frustrating limits set by the developers, i lost another complete afternoon with this.

Edited by dovapix

Crap, I didn't know that. Maybe back to using the magelight spell and changing the mesh so it aims at the lantern location? It's like 30 people designed this, without ever having a meeting.

Unfortunately this would need a script to work and the goal here is to do without any scripting, but i am happy with the way it is, you just use the flint stone to light it or i was even thinking at having an oil flask instead of the flint stone but since it is going to be lighted permanently there is no use of this except for aesthetic.

I figured it out how to have a different item showing in inventory it was as simple as changing the world object in the armor dialog, so now the flint stones are visible in inventory and when you drop them on the ground and the flame are showing on the lantern.

Should be able to release it in a day or 2 i just have to make a drop lighted version of the lantern and make 2 flint stone meshes + the magic tweak version of the light(similar to candlelight but with no annoying flare that blind you at night and a little higher) and of course the hand held version.

I thought this would not work but surprisingly making a spell with fire and forget on self is working on the lantern so now i can have duration, the only difference is that instead of getting the light to work upon equipping the flint stones you have to get in magic to fire the spell to get the light but you still have to use the flint stones to get the flame.

I don't think it is possible to make a spell act like a consumable that vanish from inventory after you use it.

I am currently looking at the possibility to make it as a scroll instead and will comment back later on.

So in a word do you think it is worth to have 3 operations to get duration on lantern?

EDIT: Ok it is working with a scroll we now have duration on lantern yessssss but i still have 3 operations to get it working but that not that far fetch since you have to first equip the lantern then you light it up with the flint stones and finally you add oil to keep it going, so you only have to do this when you start your game and after it is only a matter of using oil flask.

I think that i will make the scroll inventory item as an oil flask since it is more logical to pick up oil to keep the lantern going, what do you think?

Also how much time do you think the lantern should be lasting?

Edited by dovapix