ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Making containers "safe"

kromey

After investigating the player-owned houses and the containers therein in vanilla Skyrim, I reached the conclusion that the way to make containers "safe" for player storage is to have them within an Encounter Zone marked as non-resetting -- this is the common thread I found between them all, anyway.

However, this fails to explain "safe" containers in exterior cells, since only worldspaces can have Encounter Zones, and the exterior cells are all pretty much in the Tamriel worldspace -- which, as we know, resets. Yet I find mention of at least two "safe" containers located in exterior cells in the Tamriel worldspace on UESP.

For a mod I'm working on, I want to have several "safe" containers in exterior cells in the Tamriel worldspace, but I just can't see how to do this. Is UESP wrong and exterior containers cannot be "safe", or have I latched onto a red herring and gone in entirely the wrong direction in trying to chase this down?

I was under the impression that just unchecking 'Respawns' in the object's properties would stop it from respawning, thus making it 'safe'. Haven't tested this myself though, just heard about it somewhere. Hope this helps :)

Yes - containers are safe by default unless the Respawn option is checked.

I was under the impression that just unchecking 'Respawns' in the object's properties would stop it from respawning, thus making it 'safe'. Haven't tested this myself though, just heard about it somewhere. Hope this helps :)

Yes - containers are safe by default unless the Respawn option is checked.

Really? It's that simple. Huh, I really was flying off in completely the wrong direction! Thanks!

Now I wonder if one can change that property via a script, so as to make containers "unsafe" until a script changes them to be "safe"...

Hm, interesting... I did a test myself, and after 2-3 in-game months a container with "respawn" checked, well, respawned, and another without it checked did not.

Didn't try unchecking it from one that had it previously checked, though. I have noticed, however, that references that have already appeared in-game don't always pick up changes you might make to them after they've shown up. Had those containers already appeared in-game prior to you unchecking the box? If so, then they could very well have still had that attribute on them...

Well, I duplicated a chest and a satchel, then unchecked the respawn box so that I didn't change other containers in the world. I also added a barrel that was non-respawning in vanilla Skyrim, yet it still respawned along with the other two.

For the record, I added these items to the camp outside of Falkreath on the cliff as I wanted a 'woodsy' place for my ranger to stay. To bad I lost all of the ingredients I had been collecting for my potions. =[

• 2 years later...

I've ran into problems with duplicating a container. I was placing a container and then using Ctrl + D to duplicate it and dragging it where I wanted to place it. I wouldn't do that, not sure why or if my problem was due to that placement-method but since then I've made sure to place each container via the Object Window. My theory is that when you drag a container from the object window it gives the container a unique memory address, duplicating the container duplicates the memory address? Just a theory.