Weapon Modding - Calculating DPS (Reload)

Does anyone know the formula for calculating "DPS (Reload)" so you know how much damage your gun will show in-game that it will do?

If you look at your weapon with-in the Pip-Boy menu, it will show the "DPS (Reload)" figure instead of the actual base damage or standard DPS (Base Damage x FireRate.)

The Weapon Damage Formula on the GECK wiki isn't it. I've done a lot of digging around but it seems like it hasn't been published anywhere.

[if you're curious what exactly i'm talking about, something like Sydneys' 10mm SMG shows "DPS (reload) 58.7 (94.2)" In-game rather than the normal DPS value.]

The reason I want to know is that i'm porting a weapon mod from NV to Fallout 3 for personal use and the NV damage balancing is quite different than from FO3.

The weapons stats: [FO3Edit/GECK] (Here is one of the weapon's' stats i'm trying to balance.)
BaseDamage (BD) = 12
DamageMultiplier (DM) = 1
FireRate (FR) = 12
Attack Shots/Sec (AS) = 14
Projectiles (P) = 3
GunCondition (GD) = 1
GunSkill/SkillBonus (GS)/(SB) = 1
Critical Hit Damage (CH): 24
Critical Multiplier (CM): 1
Clip Size (CS): 44
Ammo Type (AT): Microfusion Cells
GECK Formula Damage =
(12 (BD) * 1 (DM) * 1 (GC) * 1 (GS))
+
(24 (CH) * 1 (CM))
= 36
Compared to...
Damage/DPS In-game (Pipboy Menu) = 367 (Compared to Sydney's SMG which is 59.)
What I tried:
(12 (BD) + 24(CH) * 12(FR)) = 432
I don't know what else to factor in or how to go about it.
I don't feel like Critical Hit Damage is to be factored in but mainly Base Damage, Fire Rate, and Attack Shots/Sec. Maybe Reload time. I don't know how to factor all of this though like said previously.

Does anyone know the formula for calculating "DPS (Reload)" so you know how much damage your gun will show in-game that it will do?

If you look at your weapon with-in the Pip-Boy menu, it will show the "DPS (Reload)" figure instead of the actual base damage or standard DPS (Base Damage x FireRate.)

Say what ? As far as I know there is just the "DAM" rating listed in pip boy for vanilla interface ... but maybe mine is still messed up some how from , installing / uninstalling Darnified awhile ago ?

Do you have any interface mods ?

Reload may be passively calculated into one of the formula components for damage rating ? Needs some testing I guess , by which is only adjustable with GECK by changing the reload animation (but may simply not work because of model/animation compatibility issues)

As far as I know ... the only way to adjust reload time ... would be with the other programs that manipulate models.

Hence actual down range dps dealt to said NPC , may only be calculated from the non animation inputs.

Of course I could just be talking out my butt ???

-snipped quote-

Automatic weapons calculate damage differently from normal semi-automatic (single shot) weapons. Rather than showing the base damage (the raw damage that each bullet does) in the pipboy menu, an automatic weapon will show DPS and not the damage for each shot but for what a full magazine of ammo could do with base damage x fire rate.

This can be misleading though in-game however since a modded weapon can display damage values in the pip-boy of up to 200+ damage even though when in actual use it isn't any stronger than a 10mm pistol but just fires a lot faster.

What I was trying to figure out was what the DPS (Reload) formula was. If you look at the wiki, guns don't use the basic DPS in-game [baseDamagexFireRate]. They use the DPS(Reload) to display what the weapons potential damage is. I want to know what that formula is so I when i'm making/porting mods. I can calculate the damage rather than loading up the game over and over to adjust numbers so that it fits in with other automatics.

After much trial and error testing from editing weapon data and testing whether it affects in-game damage or not. Here's the list I came up with that affects damage displayed if modified.

---------------------------------------------------

Testing with FO3Edit.
Factors that affect DPS Reload
Base Damage
Clip Size
Fire Rate
Projectile Count
Factors that don't affect DPS Reload
Critical Hit Damage
Critical Hit Multiplier
Attack Shots/Sec
Reload Time

---------------------------------------------------

I don't know if there's anything unseen that comes into the factors but that's just from messing with values.

Edited by FreedomFighter4

I'd have to say I mis-understood you from the start. Was thinking there was an actual label of "DPS reload"

Where as you were just refering to the derived number that gets displayed with "DAM" in game on the Pipboy ?

Condition of course counts ... then factors from the player like level and skill ... no ? ... But then in real damage out put ... which I'm assuming you are more interested in than UI numbers ,,, Of course the crit factors are going to effect damage dealt down range per moment in time.

Maybe you're focusing on a formula too much ??? Just port em ... let em lie how how they fly ? Make update adjusts as other player's mention things. Just an Idea ... I'm sure your initial thoughts on balance will be good enough to start with ;)

Edited by Mktavish