Keeping things lore friendly.

justwannaddl

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you only use mods that are lore friendly?

I've always found it strange to see people who refuse to use mods unless they are lore friendly. I personally like a good wacky lore unfriendly mod every now and then, especially if I have already logged hundreds of hours in the same game. For me it is a good showcase for the skill of the modders while extending the shelf life of a game.

Why stick to only lore friendly mods? Is there any reason to do so besides a desire to maintain and enhance immersion? After you finish the game, do you just look for more lore friendly mods, consider using any mods or just move on to another game?

Depends. If I want to re-experience normal Skyrim, just with improvements mods can bring, then yes I only use lore-friendly mods. But I certainly don't restrict myself to them when I want to just fool around. and of course I'll totally play a total conversion.

Voted No.

That said, I generally widen the bounds of "lore friendly" outside of "TES lore friendly" to include "fantasy lore friendly", as in I liked to play Dwarf characters in Oblivion and I think that TES is really missing out without having dwarves (as well as other fantasy-friendly but not TES-friendly races such as Chocolate Elves, etc). I could even go with basic firearms in the game if they weren't too reliable, like 14th and 15th century examples.

So, yeah, I don't really understand why someone would entirely stick to "lore-friendly" in regards to TES but I can if you talk about "fantasy lore-friendly". You won't see any Macho Man dragons in my game, I can tell you that (hats off to the mod maker who did it, though) because that's outside of how I personally define Skyrim: as a fantasy RPG.

Then again, maybe I am for lore-friendly mods...just lore as I define it. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/tongue.gif

I see I'm the first to put yes, but anyway, I basically do only go for lore-friendly. Either that or I use mods that don't really pertain to the lore. For example, if a mod comes about and adds new plants or something, unless we're talking about adding spiddal sticks to the wilderness, as that would break lore, I'll probably use it. I'd say the "mods" I use aren't even truely "mods", so much as plugins or addons. But that's just arguing definitions and my own opinion. With that said, I don't mind a total conversion whatsoever, but I really mean a total conversion. Meaning it has it's own installation and everything. I love the lore of the Elder Scrolls, even though I haven't been playing them as long as some. Maybe I'm just strange, but I can't find any fun in a mod if it doesn't feel like it can fit into the universe/game.

EDIT: I see someone else finally put in a yes lol I'm glad, because I was starting to think I was the only one lol

Looking at my mods it would seem that they are mostly lore friendly. A lot of aesthetic fixes/changes like trees in whiterun or body mods and I also put smithing equipment in my homes which I guess could be highly borderline. The biggest non-lore friendly mod I have is a soul gem bat (+10 all soul gems) and the only reason I did it was because I needed black soul gems (with grand souls) to create my Black Sacrament armour after going back and fourth through the whole of Skyrim only to find two of which ended up getting filled with petty souls. I'm not against lore nor non lore if lore is conservative and non lore liberal I would say I'm a little left of center. I also have Skyrim on 360 completely unmodded so I suppose that could be my super lore friendly game. Either way it's really what you enjoy the most.