Very Low FPS on Good Hardware

Zeppelin1996

After a long break from Fallout 4, I booted it up today, only to find that the game was unplayable due to incredibly low fps. I'm getting only 40 fps in the menus and 20 -30 in game regardless of location while the game ran at 50 - 60 fps just 2 months ago and I haven't changed anything. I've already verified my game files, disabled all of my mods through mod organizer, lowered my graphics settings, uninstalled ENB and shadowboost, and even tried launched the game without F4SE. MSI Afterburner shows that both my CPU and GPU have very low usage, no higher than 40%, which explains the bad FPS. For whatever reason, Fallout 4 just isn't utilizing my hardware. All of my other games are working fine. I'm really puzzled as to why this is happening. Any help would be appreciated.

System Specs:

i5-7600k(OC'd)

GTX 1070(OC'd)

16GB DDR4 RAM

running the game from an m.2 NVMe SSD

Edited by Zeppelin1996

Not really.

My i7 7600 usage is about the same. 26% average & 50% max.

My 2 X 980 tis average 25% usage each at 4k resolution & throttles up to 50%. My frame rate is in the 70s without vsync. As you can see by the numbers SLI is about pointless.

All the lag/stutter I get is from I/O. It happens every time the load-in goes over 220MB/s. My games max is 245MB/s

I still run my old i7 2600k rig. It is using a GTX 1080 at 1440 WS. The GPU averages 53% & throttles up to 100% when needed. The CPU runs at 37% average & 71% max.

On this rig the game runs very smooth mainly because the I/O load-ins are never over 200MB/s running the same mods as the i7 7600k rig. Both of my rigs use sata SSDs of the same brand.

With some driver versions the GTX 1000 series GPUs will have a tendency not to throttle up in some games. I had problems with this game & Skyrim SE. Check out the GeForce forums for more info.

Like you, most of my problems have been with this game, not others.

Later

I've found the problem. The game hates 144Hz monitors I guess. After lowering my refresh rate down to 60Hz, the game is running fine and actually utilizing my hardware. Does anyone have a way to use 144Hz with this game? Gonna be annoying lowering my refresh rate every time I want to play this game.

I am glad you found your problem.

Open-world games load content as you move around the game. The more content there is the more it has to load. If the load-in is too much for the hardware you will get lag.

I use a mod called Endless Warfare. It allows me to increase spawns to the point where it brakes the game. With relatively powerful hardware I/O breaks first. Next is CPU, the GPU. I use the mod because I love to have 10 or more of everything attacking me. Being chased by 20 or more feral ghouls or flying insects is too much fun.

My game is not playable on a standard hard drive. It lags everywhere. With a sata SSD the game is playable but not perfect.

With a M.2 you probably avoid all I/O issues in the game. I will be updating my i7 6700k rig to M.2 by the end of the year.

Later

I've found the problem. The game hates 144Hz monitors I guess. After lowering my refresh rate down to 60Hz, the game is running fine and actually utilizing my hardware. Does anyone have a way to use 144Hz with this game? Gonna be annoying lowering my refresh rate every time I want to play this game.

You may be able to get away with simply capping framerate to 60FPS..... Maybe....

Any chance your 144Hz monitor has G-Sync? If yes, enable it...and Fast Sync, since you have a 10-series card. I use an Asus 144Hz G-Sync monitor with a 1070 and cap my refresh rate at 90. The game runs like buttah and no wonkiness from the game physics. If you don't have a G-Sync monitor, try enabling Fast Sync on it's own since you have a 1070. You'll still want to cap your FPS though.

@HeyYou Refresh rate and FPS are NOT the same thing. I play the game with V-sync on so it's already capped to 60 FPS.

@RedRocketTV Unfortunately, my monitor does not have G-Sync, but I'll try enabling fast sync when I play the game next.

Update: Setting V-Sync to fast in the NVIDIA Control Panel did not help.

Edited by Zeppelin1996