Crash after launcher

klokwerkaos

So I'm having some serious issues getting fallout 4 to run.

I was running fabulously with about 250 mods or so and then one time I just scrapped an object, and then the game crashed and hasn't worked since. It's even an object I scrapped in a different save before so I have no idea why that would trigger anything.

I've verified cash, disabled and uninstalled all mods, fresh install, several times.

My card works fine on other games (running a rog strix 1070 oc preset 1860)

Other games all work... can't get fallout 4 to load, reinstalled F4SE fresh, several clean installs and verifications for base game and no mods running...

Something is super fishy. Maybe I need to reinstall NMM? I'm trying to avoid that because I use an older version that is reportedly more stable according to one of the modding gurus here on the forums and I'd have to dig up the link again.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be?

The launcher always works, but then it crashes as soon as it opens the black screen, every single time. Ive even reset .ini to base forms, and tried it with the .ini tweaks... nothing works.

Any help is appreciated and again, i can run literally any other game on steam and origin just fine.

experimentally delete your preferences file

documents > my games > fallout4 >

files named

fallout4, fallout4custom, and fallout4prefs

one at a time or all at once --- remember to save them -- if only in your recycle bin

betting its only the fallout4prefs that needs to be canned

the game should regenerate it upon game restart

Go through the old folders as well, if you haven't already. Delete everything. Including AppData/Fallout4, Documents, Program Files, Steam.

And if it still doesn't work, then I'm stumped. Usually just reinstalling a game works.

So I deleted everything... still didn't work...

Then finally, after EVERYTHING, I found the culprit...

For some reason the setting for windowed/bordered mode unchecked itself from my old install, so the game would keep crashing perpetually, meaning, nothing was wrong, and when I reloaded everything, it still didn't work because the setting reset... I have no idea how it happened, but I'll chalk it up to glitchiness from way too many mods.

This is beyond frustrating, but, on the positive side, I managed to keep my old save and import it and in a few hours I should have my load order rebuilt, once that happens all I hav eto do is start figuring out how to get all the missing meshes in the workshop to appear.